PDA

View Full Version : Flat-pack kitchens in Melbourne

TK1
28th July 2004, 12:44 PM
Hi,

We're about to put a new kitchen in, and as a compromise between doing it myself and paying a fortune for it fully installed, was aiming at getting a flat-pack or similar kitchen.

I've done a search of the archives and come up with a couple of companies, but also have heard there's a few dodgy kitchen manufacturers down here (and being new to Melbourne). So I'd like to avoid them, obviously.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good suppliers - will be laminate doors/cabonets and we'll get a stone top separately.

Thanks in advance!

Darren

Trav
28th July 2004, 03:44 PM
Hi Darren. I'm in a similar boat myself. I've been looking for some time.

While I haven't used any of these myself, there are a few places around - check on the web. The places I am currently considering include:

1. try www.kitset.com.au - these guys look pretty good (well, the website does). Very comprehensive range.

2. Laminex industries makes these things called lamikits. They don't come with doors or hardware, but they do make doors as well. It sounds like a bit of running around, but the prices seem to be much better than the kit places. You can also get the shells for drawer units and then buy the super cool hettich/blum metal sided drawers to use. All you'll need to do is cut a bit of melamine to the right width for the drawers.

3. try www.armstrongcabinets.com.au/shop/webcontent0.htm - this is a place called amrstong cabinets. They are based in Bris, but ship stuff all over the palce; or

4. draw up what you want and fax it to half a dozen kitchen places and ask for a supply only quote.

5. You can get 'smartpacks' from some hardware stores. Visit www.smartpackkit.com.au

The things that you need to check for in these products is that they have a solid 16mm back to the cupboards, that it is moisture resistant particleboard and the quality of the hardware that is used. Most are pretty standard. Also check to see whether you need to set up a plinth or if you can simply use those plastic legs and clip on a kickboard.

Hope this is useful. Report back on how you go.

Trav

Guy
28th July 2004, 07:16 PM
Darren
I am just about to enter selling flat pack wardrobes and kitchens, i had a website but it is down at the moment. I am making them in the ikea form of cam and dowells and also the plain screw together type.
Just PM me and i will get in contact offline with you.
I can also put you in touch with other suppliers in Melb if my pricing is not that good for you.

Justin
28th July 2004, 08:41 PM
I got my cabinets and benchtop from Plyboard Distributors in Dandenong, and did the doors myself. Came up a treat, and didn't have any problems with what had been supplied by Plyboard. They have a good parts list that shows you all the dimensions of their stuff, so that you can work out your design.

Cheers,

Justin.

zymurgy
28th July 2004, 10:14 PM
I got my cabinets and benchtop from Plyboard Distributors in Dandenong, and did the doors myself. Came up a treat, and didn't have any problems with what had been supplied by Plyboard. They have a good parts list that shows you all the dimensions of their stuff, so that you can work out your design.

I'll second that. They were most helpful. Lot's of standard packs and they'll modify to suit.

arms
29th July 2004, 08:44 PM
darren,hi.

i own armstrong custom cabinets which was a link supplied to you by darren (i think) my site has the most comprehensive store for flat pack kitchens in australia and i beleive the world,the link supplied to you was for the store and you may like to start at the front page if you havnt already.
http://www.armstrongcabinets.com.au
kind regards
tom armstrong

Hi,

We're about to put a new kitchen in, and as a compromise between doing it myself and paying a fortune for it fully installed, was aiming at getting a flat-pack or similar kitchen.

I've done a search of the archives and come up with a couple of companies, but also have heard there's a few dodgy kitchen manufacturers down here (and being new to Melbourne). So I'd like to avoid them, obviously.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good suppliers - will be laminate doors/cabonets and we'll get a stone top separately.

Thanks in advance!

Darren

TK1
30th July 2004, 09:31 AM
Hi,

Thanks all for the replies.

Tom, I'll check out your website on the weekend.

Guy, I have sent you a PM as requested.

I'll check out the others recommended too.

Thanks,

Darren

Gumpy
30th July 2004, 10:06 AM
Have a look a this site. You might find it helpfull.

http://www.novaloc.com.au/

VICTORIA
95 - 97 Fairbank Road
Clayton South
Victoria 3169
Phone: (61 3) 9574 0622
Fax: (61 3) 9574 0633

Our main business is manufacturing Kitchens for the domestic and builders market. At present this is over 3000 Kitchens per year, and growing. We offer two distinct ways of having a Kitchen designed. If you visit a showroom a designer will sit down with you and plan your kitchen there and then or, you can take a Planning Guide home with you and sit in the comfort of your home and plan it yourself. Customers are not limited to purchasing complete Kitchens as Novaloc is flexible enough to allow orders for single panels or just benchtops, or even carcases only. And with over 400 different shapes and sizes of cabinets available; you have a Company that can design a Kitchen to fit into almost any shape of room.

Within the Kitchen Industry we also market our carcases to Cabinet Makers in a flat pack form, with a 3-5 day lead time depending on whether the order is picked up or delivered. In this way Cabinet Makers have Novaloc doing all the 'dirty work' for them at a surprisingly low cost.

Daniel

arms
30th July 2004, 09:19 PM
daniel,i clicked on your page but came up with errors perhaps its something you should look into
kind regards
tom armstrong