PDA

View Full Version : All I had to work with !!!

peteandoreen1
31st August 2009, 03:31 PM
I was having trouble with my bench top. I was regularly using Boiled linseed oil and the finish would be nice for about 10 minutes then it would dull and look like it needed another going over. I read in one of the magazines that Linseed Oil and bees wax in equal parts would be better. Alas! broke as usual all I had was Linseed oil and a Coffee scented Ornamental candle (Made in China) I shaved the candle and melted it over the gas torch then mixed an equal amount of oil. It changed colour but stayed liquid long enough for me to put a good layer on the bench top. By the next morning with a little elbow grease I buffed it up to a satin finish and it has stayed that way now for a few days even with me working on it, it seems to have gone very hard. Has anyone had a similar experience and have I done somthing that will come back to haunt me.:?:doh: I appreciate any expert opinions or otherwise.
Many regards Peter :2tsup: (My bench top is made from 8" x 2" dressed Pine Boards)

orraloon
31st August 2009, 05:44 PM
Hi Peter,
Sounds like it worked out ok. I don't think it will hurt anything. Should make the bench smell nice too.
Regards
John.