PDA

View Full Version : Nova 3000 Wood Lathe

mm100
31st August 2009, 06:20 PM
Hi guys!

A friend of mine told me this would be the palce to go for some accutrate advice!

My husband and I bought a Teknatool Nova 3000 wood lathe about 4-5 years ago. We paid just over $2000 for the lathe. As it turns out, we have never used it - it hasn't even come out of the box!

We also have a Supernova chuck. plus 5 x chisels still in pack with prices on them (valued at nearly $300).

I have tried calling a few retailers but they have given me such varying prices!

What do you think I could sell all this for? And finally - would ebay be the best place to sell it?

Any advice would be sooooo appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim Carroll
31st August 2009, 06:38 PM
It really depends on what you have with the lathe

Bed extension, outrigger , stand etc.

Need a more clearer picture of what you have before anyone can give a firm price.

FRB Design
31st August 2009, 06:44 PM
This might help mm100 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TEKNATOOL-Nova-3000-Wood-Lathe-Sorby-Chisels-more_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem335461319cQQitemZ220458987932QQptZAUQ5fBnIQ5fWoodworkingQ5fMetalworkingQQsalenotsupported

mm100
31st August 2009, 07:09 PM
thanks!

i don't think it has a stand - I will ahve to look tomorrow.

but the website says the nova 3000 has:

8 spped range
Full Swivel Head
16" (400mm) capacity over bed, 29" (740mm) using outrigger
24" (600mm) between centre capacity, extendable in 20"(510mm) bed units.
24 Division Spindle Index
Extendable Bed Units
Solid Cast Iron construction
Quick Action Cam Controls

Plus a Supernova chuck.

As you can tell I don't know much about wood lathes! Does this info help?

Jim Carroll
31st August 2009, 08:11 PM
What you have listed is the features of the lathe but at $2000.00 4-5 years ago there must have been more other peices to get it that far.

mm100
31st August 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm affraid I don't know what else it has! I don't know much about them!!! Could it have been the SuperNova chuck that made it over $2000?

Ozkaban
31st August 2009, 09:45 PM
best bet is to take some photos and attach them to this thread. folks here will be very helpful.

There's a forum for selling machinery here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=221), once you're happy with a price. If you genuinely have no idea, then put it for auction on ebay - let the market decide! As always, good pics will certainly help both forms of selling.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
31st August 2009, 09:46 PM
forgot to add - Jim is a good one to listen too - he sells the things and knows his stuff :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

mm100
31st August 2009, 10:03 PM
thanks... i will have a look at that link!

But I don't have photos as it's still in the box!

I thought when selling it I might use one from the teknatool website?

hughie
1st September 2009, 09:20 AM
If your going to sell it get as many pics as possible of all the gear/accessories etc. The more info the more you get, using a pic off the web site will only get the base price. The idea is to have all the info possible so they dont have to ask any questions. Its not a tall order as most folks here will be glad to assist

The prospective buyers needs to know exactly whats up for sale and its condition. They need to see for themselves.

Calm
1st September 2009, 09:47 AM
As Jim sells them i think what Jim was alluding to was the price you paid was higher than a basic lathe & chuck would have been a couple of years ago so he expects there are other bits you havent mentioned.

As Hughie says open the box and take fresh pictures for all to see - good luck

Hope that helps

Cheers

Rum Pig
1st September 2009, 10:09 AM
This is how I would approach the problem. Start buy not looking as a seller but a buyer look what new lathe will cost. look around for second hand lathes of similar models etc.
A new nova from Jim is $1700 that would be my starting point from there compare feature/extras and adjust accordingly.
Were did you buy it from? Maybe they still sell them so you could get a price comparison from them?

I do not think you will get the same as a new one even thought yours has not been used because there will be no warranty etc.

You have done the correct thing by asking here, good luck:)

Alastair
1st September 2009, 12:02 PM
FWIW,

I bought the 3000 in 2003, just before a restock and price increase into the AUS market.

IIRC I paid about $1500-1600, and included a S/N chuck, and an extra bed extension.
I did not get a stand, or any of the other accessories.

As far as I know, the model has been discontinued, and replaced with the 1624-44, which seems to have identical specs. I am not sure what the differences are .

Carbatech have them listed at $1699, with rudimentary stand, and no bed extension.

I have always been very happy with my lathe, except for some problems with motor bearings, and it has taken anything I can throw at it.

Hope this is of some help

regards