PDA

View Full Version : Teknatool DVR XP - a judgement

rsser
1st September 2009, 09:52 PM
A while ago I promised a review. Since I'm just about to buzz off to the outback for two months, and some folk were waiting for me to write something, here is a summary to date.

If anyone wants more details of my experience with the machine, send me an email in the next 24 hours.

I take a review to be a description and evaluation, including a comparison with machines of similar capacity and price. Here I'm just going to give you a temporary judgement.

In terms of capacity and price, the closest lathe I know about, having owned one, is the Vicmarc 175 EVS. Once you option up the DVR XP with a bed extension, legs and outrigger you're in the price ballpark of the 175.

There are some mid-priced swivel head lathes made by Jet and by Carbatec sold under its own brand. I've only eye-balled these and my sense is that in terms of heft and quality of manufacture they're similar to the T/tool.

I've just hogged out four deepish bowls of green Deodar Cedar and that process revealed the great strength of the DVR XP: its motor and electronics. They make for a powerful and smooth drivetrain. Given the quality of the rest I would assume that a good deal of the purchase price of the lathe goes on this.

Looking at the VL175:

* it's much more hefty in the castings
* the machining is better
* the outboard turning setup allows greater depth
* the motor is not as powerful
* the method of belt change for high and low torque is a PITA
* it has slightly less swing

There are too many simple design shortcomings and a few manufacturing ones for me to readily conclude that the DVR XP is a good buy. Anyone looking for a lathe in this category would be well advised to try out the Vicmarc and the other swivel-head units mentioned earlier as well as this machine, and to clarify exactly what features are essential and what compromises they can live with. Of course, every machine involves trade-offs in terms of price and features.

RETIRED
1st September 2009, 10:37 PM
Going walkabout?

Calm
1st September 2009, 10:51 PM
.........wiff ya bruddas aye :2tsup::2tsup::D:D

- bit cool in the loin cloth dont ya rekon. i'd wait for summa

rsser
1st September 2009, 10:54 PM
Yep, driveabout.

In the Forester and camper trailer. We'll do the West Macdonnell Range, Kings Canyon, Uluru and the Olgas. Coober Pedy, across to the Oodnadatta Tk and then the Flinders Ranges. Lake Mungo and home.

Standard grey nomad pilgrimage.

Dunno how we'll survive without decent capuccinos :oo:

David, the Centre will be around the low 30s in the sun during the day. A waterproof breathable loincloth in fluoro colours should do the job.

Calm
1st September 2009, 10:54 PM
On a serious note Ern, it would be good to get your evaluation on the new Stubby 250, swivel head - Jim is the only owner so far.

Cheers

rsser
1st September 2009, 11:12 PM
Swivel head jobs have some specific design and manufacture challenges (says he in stentorian tones).

Eg. how far out will the banjo reach so's you can do off-bed turning? (With a 4" chuck, 50mm jaws and a faceplate ring, the DVR XP will only allow you to turn up to a 6" diam blank with the head at the 22 degree position. That's with the toolrest parallel to the blank side. You can go bigger if you start shaping from the bottom up while creeping the rest around the side.)

2nd question: what's the outrigger setup capacity (if any)? (The DVR XP outrigger, when used with the Titan chuck, Powergrips and the head at 90 degrees, allows you to work a blank of no more than 11cm thickness.)

3rd: how quick is it to unlock, rotate and relock the head?

4th: how reliably does the head return to spindle parallel to the bed?

5th: are the head casting and clamping solid enough to support a whirring lump?

I'm sure there are other questions.

I never buy the first model of anything btw if I can help it.

Sawdust Maker
2nd September 2009, 09:53 AM
Have a good trip
don't get caught rustling too many blanks :D

Thanks for the comment on the outrigger
I was wondering whether it actually added much. Is the 11cm with your modification or before?

Ozkaban
2nd September 2009, 12:51 PM
Hi Ern,

Enjoy your trip. I did just the West MecDonnell through to kings Canyon and Uluru ranges a few years back and it was spectacular.

Thanks for the review on the lathe. I'm not up to spending this sort of money yet, but will want to in the next few years. I did a turning course at Trend timbers and used the DVR XP and quite liked it. The head stock on mine got hot enough to nearly burn you though the other ones in the shed didn't. I did like the power, and how it smoothly spins up to speed. Was nice to use. The VL-175 would definitely be on the list at that point too.

The guy next to me in the course had the 1624-44 (think that's the right model number), and though it wasn't as fancy, I thought it looked quite good for a belt change lathe.

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
2nd September 2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys.

Nick, if a chainsaw and its spoils got priority in the camper trailer the missus'd be sitting in the dirt during dinner.

She's supportive but that'd be pushing it.

Re the outrigger, that max figure is unmodified; I've held off that mod til I see how often I want to be leaning against the headstock.

Course with a 4" chuck and 50 mm jaws there'd be more depth but I wouldn't go that route trying a platter obviously, which is the kind of thing you want to do outboard.

Dave, I quite like the DVR XP too, and it'll do most of what I want to do. If memory serves, it used to be around $2.5k for the basic setup and at that price I would've rated it a good buy then. (The 1622-44 was rated that by FWW recently by the way, and I guess the price diff between it and the DVR XP gives an indication of what you're paying for the electrickery).

Rookie
2nd September 2009, 02:24 PM
Have a good trip Ern. Would be interested if you could put something in the Motor Vehicles, or Camping Forums when you get back. I have my second Forester after thoroughly enjoying my first. Wife drives that one now. I have done a lot of "off road to my favourite fishing spot" trips, but nothing of the order of the trip you outline. Would be interested in seeing how it goes.

rsser
2nd September 2009, 03:22 PM
Can do Rookie.

This will be a pretty 'soft' adventure with limited dirt roads. I've put light truck AT tyres on though as the first proper 4by track I tackled led to two sidewall gashes in 5 minutes in the original rubber. And replaced the limp thing that passes for a sump guard with an alloy plate.

Some Forester guys put on bigger wheels and do suspension lifts in order to tackle roads like the Tanami and Gibb. Course the Foz is light and performs well in the sand.

Ed Reiss
3rd September 2009, 12:13 PM
Now that you've been using the XP for a while, any easier on the hands?

rsser
4th September 2009, 09:46 PM
For outside bowl shaping Ed, yep definitely. Tool holding is easier and the work goes quicker.

For bowl hollowing: makes a bit of difference but the scope for swivelled-out work with the banjo is limited.

Cheers from Port Augusta, Ern

jefferson
4th September 2009, 10:12 PM
Geez, Ern, you do get around.

Good to hear the new beast is working for you. :2tsup:

efgee88
4th September 2009, 10:27 PM
Enjoy the trip Ern. Didn't take you long to get there!

Cheers,

FrankG

artme
5th September 2009, 07:45 AM
PA already? ENjoy the rest of the trip.:2tsup:

NeilS
5th September 2009, 12:40 PM
Swivel head jobs have some specific design and manufacture challenges (says he in stentorian tones).

Eg. how far out will the banjo reach so's you can do off-bed turning? (With a 4" chuck, 50mm jaws and a faceplate ring, the DVR XP will only allow you to turn up to a 6" diam blank with the head at the 22 degree position. That's with the toolrest parallel to the blank side. You can go bigger if you start shaping from the bottom up while creeping the rest around the side.)

2nd question: what's the outrigger setup capacity (if any)? (The DVR XP outrigger, when used with the Titan chuck, Powergrips and the head at 90 degrees, allows you to work a blank of no more than 11cm thickness.)

3rd: how quick is it to unlock, rotate and relock the head?

4th: how reliably does the head return to spindle parallel to the bed?

5th: are the head casting and clamping solid enough to support a whirring lump?

I'm sure there are other questions.

That's a good list, Ern.

A couple of others, that may not apply to the DVR XP, but have been issues with some others I've used.

6th: How solid/vibration free is the outboard/outrigger toolrest assembly, particularly at full stretch.

7th: How versatile is the toolrest assembly for articulation around larger or more complex forms

Sounds like a good trek you have planned ahead of you there. Imagine you will be heading Coober Pedy way about now, and, yes, you can turn opal but you just have to replace all your tools with diamond ones...:U

Safe travelling

hughie
5th September 2009, 10:28 PM
6th: How solid/vibration free is the outboard/outrigger tool rest assembly, particularly at full stretch.

7th: How versatile is the tool rest assembly for articulation around larger or more complex forms
After owning a MC1100 I agree. :2tsup: Its often some of the first things I check on any lathe

Harry72
6th September 2009, 02:31 AM
Neil, the outrigger is very solid and can handle heavy dig ins DAMHIKT, its more if your stand can handle it. I have a home made job so can comment on the factory cast stands.
Ern, use the head in the 45° position and use the banjo off the main bed with the toolrest reversed for the inside work then use the outrigger for the rear work.
I found this to be a very comfortable position:)

Ern, did you see me new shed form the hyway!:)

rsser
6th September 2009, 11:40 AM
Harry, is your shed the one with the big chimney? If so, yes!

Coober Pedy now for a couple of nights. Saw lots of Western Myall on the way up. So much free timber, and no space at all. grr.

Alice tomorrow.

The outback is gobsmacking.

Grumpy John
7th September 2009, 11:18 AM
:worthless:, or maybe start a thread in the Motor Homes, Caravans and Camping section.

Manuka Jock
7th September 2009, 02:38 PM
:worthless:, or maybe start a thread in the Motor Homes, Caravans and Camping section.

na , just post the pics here .
That was we can all look at the potential of the wood in the forest shots ,
and critique the shed pics ...:D

NeilS
7th September 2009, 04:40 PM
That way we can all look at the potential of the wood in the forest shots

Forests? In the outback? Guess so, if short and sparse qualifies as forest. Just won't be able to see the trees for the wood ...:U

Manuka Jock
7th September 2009, 04:47 PM
Forests? In the outback? Guess so, if short and sparse qualifies as forest. Just won't be able to see the trees for the wood ...:U

Lilliputian forests ,
you know, worlds within worlds :roll:

Harry72
7th September 2009, 09:51 PM
Harry, is your shed the one with the big chimney? If so, yes!

Coober Pedy now for a couple of nights. Saw lots of Western Myall on the way up. So much free timber, and no space at all. grr.

Alice tomorrow.

The outback is gobsmacking.

Nah not my shed... Its me place of employment tho:p

rsser
8th September 2009, 08:33 AM
Be happy to post pics if they could do justice ... taken a lot but they don't quite capture the size of the place. And using the mobile as a modem for the laptop means with big T you pay for uploads.

Now in Alice after a stopover in Coober Pedy. Real frontier town. 3000 pop and 18 police. If you think you've been unfairly booked for speeding you blow up the cop car or burn down the station. Nice form of community engagement ;-}

Will be looking out for some small pieces of Mulga. A forearm size lump should be good for Ken to do a few dozen finials.

rsser
10th September 2009, 07:21 PM
New thread here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=1030935#post1030935), mit pikkies .