PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 28 July 04

Ralph Jones
28th July 2004, 10:13 PM
Good Evening Friends,
The harshness of climate is measured in degree days. The higher the degree days the colder the climate and the more insulation needed.

What is a degree day and how do you figure it?

Respectfully, :)

Sturdee
28th July 2004, 11:01 PM
What is a degree day and how do you figure it?

No idea, but I know that it has nothing to do with woodworking.

Peter.

E. maculata
28th July 2004, 11:28 PM
Gidday fella's, Sorry Peter,
Ah but I suspect it can be ,have heard this term used by Boffins re bacterial & fungal growth patterns in timber, along with M/Content. Can't say for sure but the temperature must be within certain extremes (along with moisture)or the organism won't thrive.
Probably way off the mark this time.

Robert WA
29th July 2004, 12:58 AM
Degree day is a quantitative index demonstrated to reflect demand for energy to heat or cool houses and businesses. This index is derived from daily temperature observations at nearly 200 major weather stations in the contiguous United States. The "heating year" during which heating degree days are accumulated extends from July 1st to June 30th and the "cooling year" during which cooling degree data are accumulated extends from January 1st to December 31st. A mean daily temperature (average of the daily maximum and minimum temperatures) of 65°F is the base for both heating and cooling degree day computations. Heating degree days are summations of negative differences between the mean daily temperature and the 65°F base; cooling degree days are summations of positive differences from the same base. For example, cooling degree days for a station with daily mean temperatures during a seven-day period of 67,65,70,74,78,65 and 68, are 2,0,5,9,13,0,and 3, for a total for the week of 32 cooling degree days.

What a load of.......... I don't understand a word of it.

bitingmidge
29th July 2004, 09:42 AM
I thought it would be the opposite of a Disagree Day, which is any day I have to deal with a Planning Authority or anyone else in a Local Authority.

Cheers,

P

Ivan in Oz
29th July 2004, 07:29 PM
G'Day Robert WA,
I'm not sure if it's what you said, but
As I understand it
a Degree Day is a measurement which has somethong to do with the
Continuing number of days which will allow plants to grow and mature.
It is a different measurment for different plants.

COULD be Lumber bearing Trees :p

I know it was a DegreeLESS day today on the way to work this Morn. Brrrrrrrr!!!!! Ice again

Count

Robert WA
29th July 2004, 09:00 PM
Ivan.

I am not sure what I said, so I understand if you don't know whether what you said is the same as what I said. - He said.

It was 0.5 degrees here when I set out to work this morning. Inland from here it got down to -3 degrees. Global warming my ar*&%se!

Ralph Jones
29th July 2004, 09:44 PM
Good Evening Friends,
We really stirred up the beans on this one aye? Yes it is true that to figure the warm days to adjust for hot weather is just the opposite of figuring the cold days. A degree day is a collection of days in a year where the temperature falls below 65 degrees and if figured this way.
For example if the high for the day is 60 degrees and the low was 30 degrees , you add the two together and in the case it would be 90/2 = 45.
Now from 65 degrees subtract the 45 degrees and you will have a degree day of 20.

Yes, it does have quite a lot to do with woodworking as when you bring a piece of wood from the cold into a warm shop and start working it all kind of things can and most likely will happen because, you did not let the wood acclimate to your shops atmosphere.

Hope I haven't confused anyone.

Ivan in Oz
29th July 2004, 09:52 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Hope I haven't confused anyone.

I'm not confused,
Just left behind

at the first phrase :confused: :confused:

Count