PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser/Planer.What are they?

trainingwheels
2nd September 2009, 10:20 PM
Hi Listers,
I am going to ask a really DUMB question. I have been researching the must have tools for my workshop and have come across references to thicknessers and planers/jointers. I know Google is my friend but it served to only get me confused. Are they one and the same?. If I have a rough surface on a good length of timber which one am I supposed to use to smooth it off?. I am not overly concerned about thickness and uniformity because I can mix and match the lengths that are there.

I have inherited some work benches that belonged to my grandfathers and great grandfather and I want to build a shelving system out of salvaged timber for the bibs and bobs thatI have currently spread about the place. The timber is rough as guts and I have to check for metal nasties before I let a power tool anywhere near it but I would like a smooth surface on the shelving so that there are no splinters.

Any thoughts and no head shaking and mutterings at my stupidity please:B:)

Many thanks
TW

Stuart
2nd September 2009, 10:43 PM
Some videos on Stu's Shed might help :)

(American terminology in () )
step 1 A planer (jointer) is used to get one side of a board flat and is step 1
step 2 is to get an edge 90 degrees to that first side. Also done on the planer (jointer)
step 3 is to get the opposite side flat and parallel to the first. Is done using the thicknesser (planer)
step 4 the final edge is done on the tablesaw.

Now terminology wise - depends on which country you are in.

In Australia, the tools are called a Planer and a Thicknesser
In USA, the tools are called a Jointer and a Planer. (thus the confusion!)

Think of a Planer (Jointer) as an inverted and massively scaled up hand plane / power planer
A thicknesser, well it thins the board to the required....uh....thickness (thinness?) as well as dressing the opposite face!

Watch the video (episode 17 from memory). It should help! Episode 17 Dressing Timber (http://stusshed.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/episode-17-dressing-timber/)

pjt
3rd September 2009, 12:42 AM
and to add a little bit more confusion...a jointer/planer is also called a buzzer, not really sure y, maybe just because it makes a buzzing kinda noise:?
Peter.

trainingwheels
3rd September 2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks Stuart and PJT for the replies.Clearer now and I will have a look at the links you provided.No wonder I was confused.
Regards
TW

MurrayD99
3rd September 2009, 03:44 PM
and to add a little bit more confusion...a jointer/planer is also called a buzzer, not really sure y, maybe just because it makes a buzzing kinda noise:?
Peter.

I call it a buzzer... like my father before me.....:2tsup:

pjt
3rd September 2009, 11:06 PM
Yes, my dad was a joiner by trade and I am sure I remember him use that terminology.
Peter

Wongdai
3rd September 2009, 11:30 PM
Good vid Stu. That helped me a lot.

4-6-4
11th October 2009, 10:29 PM
:D Dear Wheels. There are restrictions with jointers this is in the width of timber they can handle. The most common is a 6 inch wide beast they then progress in width up to the monsters in real Timber workshops. The cost is also a progressive thing with anything over 8 inches pretty expensive. And here is a word of warning a SEVERE word of warning these things are real FINGER BITERS always use a GAURD over the CUTTING HEAD. The CUTTING HEAD can be exposed to the fingers when the machine is in use. This swings away as the wood approaches the blades. and use a Pusher to hold and feed the timber over the cutter head. The cutter head is exposed as the timber finishes the cut. This pusher looks like a wooden plane with a step at the rear underneath. It alows you to apply downward pressure as you feed the timber through the machine. The jointer id used to get one side of the board flat it is then passed through a thicknesser to dress the other side of the timber. This should give you a flat and true piece of timber.
If you are not too fussed with the finished thickness then a ticknesser is the go. On the first cuts with a rough face of timber downwards you will probably have to help the timber trough the machine bu pushing and then pulling it out. Take light cuts. Turn the timber over and repeat. The thicknesser is not a finger biter unless you do something really stupid. I the cuttings clog the machine turn it off unolug it remove the gaurd clear the blockage replace the gaurd and into it again.
There are machins which combine the two machines together but the cost.
email Hare and Forbes they will send you a catalog.
Hope this will be of help 4-6-4

GraemeCook
12th October 2009, 05:51 PM
Hi TW

As usual, Stu's given a really good explanation, and his video says more.

To add to the confusion the terminology seems to be evolving and in Australia the planer is increasingly called a jointer; The thicknesser remains a thicknesser.

Unless you plan to do a lot of timber preparation, both are large and expensive machines.

Cheers

Graeme

trainingwheels
17th October 2009, 08:29 AM
Hi Graeme,
Thanks for your comment.Appreciate it.I have had a look at Stu's videos and makes sense.Australia seems good at renaming things and it only causes confusion!!
Thanks again
TW