PDA

View Full Version : Floor gap filling problem

rsser
29th July 2004, 08:25 AM
Hi folks, hope you can help with this one ...

Years ago I extended a sunroom outwards. The extension was on a concrete slab butting the existing wooden floor. I levelled the slab with Ardit and surfaced all of it with cork tiles.

Some time down the track I improved the underfloor ventilation and that led to the wood floor shrinking. There's now a gap of 4 - 5 mm between the old and new floors.

Question is what to do.

Is there a filler that would have

* some elasticity
* ability to adhere well to the vertical surfaces of the cork gap
* be sand-able?

Or are there other options like cutting cork infill strips?

Thanks in advance,

Ern

Dusty
30th July 2004, 11:40 PM
G'day, Ern.

I can highly recommend a product from HB Fuller by the name of 'Caulk In Colours.'

This product is an excellent filler for any area where wood movement is present. It is water based, comes in many colours, easy to use, sandable and coatable.

It will be on the shelves at Bunnings with all the Silicon types sealers.

Also, too, and as well it's not expensive.

meaning
31st July 2004, 06:17 PM
Dusty, how would that stuff be for filling gaps between floorboards? we have some serious (up to 5mm) gaps between a lot of our old baltic pine boards...

cheers,
Meaning

journeyman Mick
31st July 2004, 10:14 PM
Meaning,
should work fine for this but you may want to crawl underneath to back up the larger gaps with masking tape. If access is not possible you may need to push backing rod (cylindrical foam strips available in varying diameters) into the gap from above, leaving enough room over it to fill with the caulking. Otherwise you'll be there forever squirting the caulking into the gaps and watching it dissappear into the crawl space. :(

Mick

rsser
1st August 2004, 09:53 AM
Thanks Dusty - will give it a shot.