PDA

View Full Version : How do you have your coffee

dai sensei
4th September 2009, 08:52 PM
Been casting quite a few worthless wood pen blanks lately, so each time I use the left over resin to cast some coffee bean blanks.

Left to right: Blood red transparent (I didn't use enough tint though), Gold, Blue, Copper, Micrpearl, Candy Pink - all from Pearlex powder tints in Diggers Resin.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=115400&stc=1&d=1252057881

I've also got some Purple, Pearl White, Two Tone Blue-Purple and a few others ready to turn when I get time.

Cheers

poulso
4th September 2009, 08:59 PM
Very nice.
I like them all.:2tsup:

Big Shed
4th September 2009, 09:16 PM
I also like them all, but the gold is my pick:2tsup:

Some nice effects there with the Pearlex pigments.

dj_pnevans
4th September 2009, 09:17 PM
Looking good Neil, what did you soak your beans in first. By the way I have my coffee in a cup.:U
David

wolften
4th September 2009, 09:54 PM
Good job Neil, I like the blue one:U...can you replace the coffee beanz with M&M's:licklips:

Glenn

PenTurner
4th September 2009, 10:18 PM
Neil, I have all six thanks, great work, Amos:):2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
4th September 2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys.

The blue and pink ones sold as a set for $100 to a woman at work within 5 minutes of bringing them in :2tsup:

Looking good Neil, what did you soak your beans in first.

I soaked them in wood hardener from Bunnings for 4 hours under pressure. Although it said allow 24 hrs to set, I now leave for a week to harden. Even when I drill, I don't drill all the way through to avoid tear out at the bottom, then I leave for 24 hours to dry further. I then wrap the blank in gaffa tape and flood inside with thin CA (without the gaffa it comes out through minute holes :((), leave another 24 hrs, cut off end then use epoxy for the sleeves. It all helps with shrinking beans and holding it all together. I still get the odd centre or bean piece flying off, but it's better than without the stabilization/CA internal treatment.

ps They smell great to turn, especially if you use the beeans infused with irish whisky :rolleyes:

Rum Pig
5th September 2009, 12:01 AM
They look really good well done:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Can you do tea leaves:rolleyes:

And since you asked I have my coffee, Glass full of ice then half rum and half coke:D

artme
5th September 2009, 07:48 AM
Nice work Neil and good tips on the casting.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

BTW, I like my coffee free.:D:D:rolleyes:

gawdelpus
5th September 2009, 08:53 AM
Certainly sounds a lot of work to get it right :) , but the results speak for themselves and must be very satisfying to you, always nice to get some return for your efforts as well ,often a lot of the time put into these things goes unrewarded except for personal satisfaction :). Well done my friend :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: cheers ~ John

MBUMIK
5th September 2009, 11:34 AM
well done mate great set of pens any coffee drinker will love

MIK

BlankBrain
5th September 2009, 06:45 PM
Gorgeous blanks!

I use well oiled tools because I put the whiskey in the coffee and then I drool on the tools.:doh:

munruben
6th September 2009, 04:59 PM
Great work Neil, I like the gold one best but just my personal taste.:2tsup:

gawdelpus
6th September 2009, 11:10 PM
Well ! after a hands on encounter of the "first" kind , I have to say the pens in question are even better in the flesh ! sometimes the camera does lie :D,these are much better than the pictures, although I suspect most of us non pro photographers would know that by now hehe, Cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wm460
7th September 2009, 08:19 AM
Great work Neil, Great set of pens I will have to change from drinking black coffee. :doh: