PDA

View Full Version : Hi everybody

cmooring
5th September 2009, 01:43 AM
Hi All,

I just dropped by to say Hi.

I've primarly joined this forum to get some ideas/help on some upcoming projects I am going to undertake. I'm not the handiest of people, but I am really keen to learn and to do my best to do a quality job.

My first project will be a really large bench seat. It will have two purposes;
1) Hide an ugly tiered concrete retaining wall.
2) Provide seating under the patio

I am then going to build a proper workbench and shelves for the shed. I am still undecided whether to do the shelves in something like treated pine or just look at buying some premade steel stuff like;
<http://www.dmdwa.com.au/d44/d-span-shelving/>

I will post in the next few days with some questions on my bench seat.

Thanks,
Chris

artme
5th September 2009, 07:38 AM
Gday Chris and welcome to the circus.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Couple of good projects you have lined up. Buying ready made shelving units is quick but building you own is more fun and more educational. So have fun and educate yourself.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

VernJ
5th September 2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Chris, only a newby myself, but I would suggest that you use wood for your shelves and even be a bit creative with the joinery/design you use. And maybe make your work bench or at least a cut out table that will help in marking up and cutting stuff for your patio seat.

I've just made a router table and fences for it, also a plinth/base for my new drill press. It's been a great learning experience with the opportunity to learn more about the new tools and getting the best accuracy out of them. Got some wood working books from the Library: how to clamp stuff down and how to stay safe, how to use cutting guides, joinery techniques. Sorta like going back to woodwork class in high school. And ... very little pressure to get it exactly right. Where as a project for the house generally has a bit of an audience and your own high expectations.

Good luck ... enjoy ... cheers!

munruben
5th September 2009, 09:00 PM
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. :2tsup:

ImNotBanEvading
5th September 2009, 10:21 PM
hi and welcome, yay this is my first post.:D

ImNotBanEvading
5th September 2009, 10:25 PM
hi ya mate

Christos
7th September 2009, 01:34 PM