PDA

View Full Version : Shower massage cubicles

blt
29th July 2004, 08:37 PM
Hi
We need to replace our lovely brown 70's shower with something new, and were keen on an 'all in one' type of shower cabinet. In my searching I came across massage and steam shower cubicles http://www.apollobathrooms.com.au/scripts/default.asp?cat=5 . They're formed fibreglass, and come with all the fittings etc so you can literally slot them into place and just connect up the water/drain. :cool: I found one little import place in Brisbane that sells a small one (900x900mm, with radio, lights and shower jets) for $1600 which seemed really cheap, but they're out of stock for a few months.

So, just wondered if anyone has used/seen these style of shower cabinets, & what you thought of them? Also I'm interested in finding some other place in Brisbane that sells something similiar for comparison, but haven't found one yet. :(

jackiew
29th July 2004, 08:53 PM
having something moulded and all in one is ok ... i've got one of those baths where the sides extend up and over to make a roof ... nice and easy to clean

the cubicle looks a bit excessive for a 3 minute water saving power shower though ...... and I have reservations about the built in radio lights etc ... it might be a bit like buying one of those hi-fi stack systems and finding you have to replace the whole lot because the radio has packed in :eek: I'd want to be pretty convinced about the steam business as well .... you don't want to get scalded .... a proper sauna would be a bit safer.

$1600 sounds expensive to me for a shower but having recently seen a $113 bathroom tumbler in a holder I'm prepared to believe that might be the going rate. If it is on the expensive side for a shower cubicle be aware that you are very unlikely to get your money back on it if you sell your house ... all a buyer cares about is that there is a shower, no what you paid for it ....

just read through this ... sorry if I sound a bit negative.

Jackie

julianx
29th July 2004, 09:26 PM
$113 is nothing, I saw a toilet brush at bretts home wares store the other day priced at $175 what a joke.

journeyman Mick
29th July 2004, 10:11 PM
blt,
do you really want/need the massage/steam/music/light options? If you're willing to do without these "neccesities" :p then you'll get away with a lot less $$. Fibreglass "shubs" (shower tubs) start, from memory from about $300. The shubs have a high step over which is a real pain and restricts resale to non-elderly or disabled persons and certainly makes another bathroom reno neccesary if you want to continue to live there into your old age. The fibreglass shubs also require a bit of preparation work as they require a fair bit of support (pack with concrete underneath) and I'm guessing your $1300 special will be the same. My recommendation would be a cast acrylic tray, lamipanel walls and your choice of screen and door as the cheapest and easiest to fit option.

Mick

blt
29th July 2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
We've been debating the bathroom reno for about 3 years now, unable to decide what to do about the shower :) Not wanting a bath in the bathroom, we figured a jazzy shower would be nice - but admittedly I would probably never use it's features :)

We had planned on getting an Englefield shower unit - it comes with thin lami-panel style walls, a moulded base, and glass wall/door. The quote we got was $2100, not including fittings (and no installation or anything). Incidentally, I got a hell of a shock when I saw how much tap fittings cost ($200-$500 each for the newer styles! Ridiculous!) So after getting a few quotes around the >$2000 we thought $1600 for the cubicle unit was a bargain :)