PDA

View Full Version : Safe way to mount a burl

lubbing5cherubs
5th September 2009, 05:45 PM
Hi I have a burl that is 14" by 16" how do I mount this when one is round and the other is like hollow looking but it feel solid the stuff in it you can't move it but it not a full looking burl so how would you mount this onto the lathe does anyone have any suggestions? because I don't want to get a hit in the head with that.
Thanks Toni

TTIT
5th September 2009, 10:09 PM
Sounds more like a burl cap than a normal burl Toni - something like this one here perhaps. (http://www.ttit.id.au/projects/redgum-pot/redgum-pot.htm) Maybe if you post some pics of what you've got we can help work out how to tackle it.

hughie
5th September 2009, 10:22 PM
Toni,

I tend to mount them one of two ways.

[1] use a screw chuck and the tail-stock for support, turning the outside first and giving it a healthy spigot for the chuck to grab when doing the inside later.Then reverse it on a Longworth chuck to finish the bottom.

[2] Glue [PVA or Epoxy ] round block onto what will be the inside of the burl, turn the outside as above. Some times with the aid of the tail stock for support, it depends on the burl etc.

In general I don't use face plates at all cos its permanently mounted on to my Longworth chuck. :U and I have not got around to buying another one. As I finish the out side it will done right down to the final polish with EEE ready for the oil/varnish or whatever later.

Mostly I use the screw chuck as its the quickest and easiest for me, to date no dramas with this method. If its not going to have a natural edge I will band-saw it round and near to the final diameter as practicable as a lot of my burls are dry and very hard.

Nice one Vern and your right a few pics would be great

Claw Hama
5th September 2009, 10:45 PM
Ok, someone has to say it!

Very carefully :;

Gil Jones
6th September 2009, 03:38 AM
Hey, Toni,
This is the way I mounted the latest burl, and it was no trouble at all.
The faceplate is screwed to an Oak waste block [cut with a 76.2mm (or 3") hole saw]. The waste block is glued to a 3" Forstner bit flat on the burl using Original Titebond PVA wood glue. The small waste blocks are Poplar, and CA glued to smaller Forstner bit flats to give the live center a firm support area to engage.
Cheers, and good luck with your burl,
Gil