PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Turnon

Pages : [1] 2

RETIRED
6th September 2009, 09:16 AM
It has been suggested by a number of Forumites that we needed another get together.

Dai Sensai (Neil) will be down in Melbourne on October 10th so it seems fitting that we have a get together then.

The venue is Robbos play pen from 10.00 am (or earlier) until whenever.

If anyone has anything they want to see or do let me know.

Usual thing, BYO lunch and a chair. Tea and coffee available.

dai sensei
6th September 2009, 10:00 AM
:woot:

tea lady
6th September 2009, 11:41 AM
:cool: Can't think of anything I want to see though, except all my friends from here.:D (that's way to soppy isn't it. too bad.:p )

jefferson
6th September 2009, 12:11 PM
Sounds great, .

If at all possible, could someone explain off-centre turning? I might even bring that new off-centre chuck down with me too.

And spraying as well.

And no, Tea Lady, not soppy at all. :wink:

artme
6th September 2009, 12:15 PM
Can't imagine you blokes turning anyone on.:D:D:p

tea lady
6th September 2009, 12:26 PM
Can't imagine you blokes turning anyone on.:D:D:pThey are only tuned on by really big lathes.:oo:

Seeing that eccentric chuck in action would be fun Jefferson.:2tsup:

Maybe we could whip up those 200 domes Skew wanted to make.:think::D

Maybe Calm could bring his bowl saver down again. I've got these NIP logs that it occured to me would be great if I could make more than one bowl out of. :cool:

KenW
6th September 2009, 04:58 PM
Sounds great, .

If at all possible, could someone explain off-centre turning? I might even bring that new off-centre chuck down with me too.

And spraying as well.

Good idea Jeff, I would like to watch you demo the off-centre chuck.

TTIT
6th September 2009, 05:42 PM
To soon :no::C:C

tea lady
6th September 2009, 08:57 PM
To soon :no::C:C So when are you coming down? We'll just have t do it again.:cool:

And Jeff and Calm demoing the eccentric chuck. (Pencil that in .:D )

RETIRED
6th September 2009, 09:16 PM
So when are you coming down? We'll just have t do it again.:cool:

And Jeff and Calm demoing the eccentric chuck. (Pencil that in .:D )Definitely.

thefixer
6th September 2009, 09:21 PM
Sounds great, .

And spraying as well.

Do you mean spraying as in applying sealer, lacquer and such by means of a spray gun?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2009, 09:30 PM

A not-so-flat bowler hat. :innocent:

jefferson
6th September 2009, 09:36 PM
Good God, the Little Grasshopper goes off for tea and the army-ants are all over him. :D Out of Africa indeed.

Yes, Ken W., I will demo the new chuck. I'll unpack it, fix it into one of 's cr&p lathes, then let you do the rest. Way too scary for me. :doh:

And also, I need some instruction on my HVLP spray gun.

You lot....... Geez..... :wink:

RETIRED
6th September 2009, 11:24 PM
A not-so-flat bowler hat. :innocent::p

Ed Reiss
7th September 2009, 12:07 PM
Good Lord...here's another get-together that I cant attend...life sucks and its unfair:((

Allan at Wallan
7th September 2009, 12:58 PM
Good Lord...here's another get-together that I cant attend...life sucks and its unfair:((

How about I get "" to move further North to a lovely
town called Wallan. Could you make it over here and
meet everyone then?

Tooradin is as far South of Melbourne as I am North
and it takes two cut lunches and a compass to get there.:D

Allan

Ed Reiss
7th September 2009, 11:15 PM
How about I get "" to move further North to a lovely
town called Wallan. Could you make it over here and
meet everyone then?

Tooradin is as far South of Melbourne as I am North
and it takes two cut lunches and a compass to get there.:D

Allan

...if it cuts off a few miles from the 11,000 mile journey, I'm there !!!!!! :U

artme
7th September 2009, 11:28 PM
Good Lord...here's another get-together that I cant attend...life sucks and its unfair:((.

Well, you will live on the wrong side of the world.:D:D:p

Calm
8th September 2009, 08:58 AM
So when are you coming down? We'll just have t do it again.:cool:

And Jeff and Calm demoing (not in this lifetime) the eccentric chuck. (Pencil that in .:D )

I am the quite shy retiring type that doesnt do stuff like that.

........................ Maybe Calm could bring his bowl saver down again. I've got these NIP logs that it occured to me would be great if I could make more than one bowl out of. :cool:

I am willing however to bring the Bowlsaver down if anyone wants to have a go at that What size tool post do you have ? (Might need some help from Jim for this one)

Spose i will be there

Cheers

Kev Y.
8th September 2009, 09:07 AM
It has been suggested by a number of Forumites that we needed another get together.

Dai Sensai (Neil) will be down in Melbourne on October 10th so it seems fitting that we have a get together then.

The venue is Robbos play pen from 10.00 am (or earlier) until whenever.

Usual thing, BYO lunch and a chair. Tea and coffee available.

Its been awhile, am I allowed to attend ??? :?

Jim Carroll
8th September 2009, 09:56 AM
Dont be shy Kevin I am sure all will appreciate your attendance.

David most of Robbos lathes are a 1" post same as the stubbie.

Calm
8th September 2009, 09:39 PM
Dont be shy Kevin I am sure all will appreciate your attendance.

David most of Robbos lathes are a 1" post same as the stubbie.

Might i suggest the post size IS the only bit the same as a STUBBY:q:q:D:D

Problem solvered

Cheers

jefferson
8th September 2009, 10:55 PM
Can I humbly suggest that we try to get a Stubby and a Vicmarc down to 's place. Afterall, he does have a forklift. :p DJ, your attendance is mandatory!!! :oo::oo::oo: We need you back mate and soon.

I'll bring some lighting too, plus..... plus..... some custard tarts, just for my mate . And cream. And if anyone needs directions, PM me, not , otherwise you'll get lost.

And I will demonstrate how NOT to use the Esc. chuck.

Time is short, so I better get out to the shed tomorrow. I will need a hand (and a lathe sturdy enough to handle the big chuck), so I'm hoping Ken W will "assist". I do lots of demos (not!), so this will be my first experiment.

Be prepared for some stuff-ups.

RETIRED
8th September 2009, 10:58 PM
Might i suggest the post size IS the only bit the same as a STUBBY:q:q:D:D

Problem solvered

CheersOf course you are right David. No comparison really.

Mine keeps turning under a bit of load.:p

tea lady
8th September 2009, 11:56 PM
:think: I guess I'd batter make another chocy ripple cake. Only I can't think of anything worse at the moment cos I've eaten too much of my sons Birthday cake. :sick: :C

:D

KenW
9th September 2009, 11:36 PM
Can I humbly suggest that we try to get a Stubby and a Vicmarc down to 's place. Afterall, he does have a forklift. :p DJ, your attendance is mandatory!!! :oo::oo::oo: We need you back mate and soon.

I'll bring some lighting too, plus..... plus..... some custard tarts, just for my mate . And cream. And if anyone needs directions, PM me, not , otherwise you'll get lost.

And I will demonstrate how NOT to use the Esc. chuck.

Time is short, so I better get out to the shed tomorrow. I will need a hand (and a lathe sturdy enough to handle the big chuck), so I'm hoping Ken W will "assist". I do lots of demos (not!), so this will be my first experiment.

Be prepared for some stuff-ups.
I always have a spare Stubby that fits in the back of the car.

Jim Carroll
10th September 2009, 09:03 AM
I always have a spare Stubby that fits in the back of the car.

Would that be VB or Melbourne Bitter:D

Calm
10th September 2009, 10:45 AM
Can I humbly suggest that we try to get a Stubby and a Vicmarc down to 's place. ...................

I could bring this

But the drool may make it rust:D:D:D:p:p:p

Cheers

ps thanks jeff for the chance to show that photo again:2tsup::2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
10th September 2009, 12:49 PM
David,
Your avatar states you are "coming back down to Earth"
... methinks you are not quite there yet.:D

Allan

rsser
10th September 2009, 07:19 PM
I could bring a Darwin stubby if the date was better.

(Might be empty though :D )

rodent
17th September 2009, 05:59 AM
I'm in so is JESS , and crazyskew ( FRED ) I'll bring the bowl saww along so every one can have a look .Can you do a mini bowler hat for us skew ,:U

rodent
30th September 2009, 11:08 AM
Last week I bent the Patrol . It's in the shop being accessed by Com insure so I'm waiting for a reply .But i hope to get to your place on the 10 the .

Kev Y.
30th September 2009, 10:50 PM
I will be down on Saturday , and I will be bringing the remaining pieces of the Oak tree for others to choose from.

Kev

dai sensei
8th October 2009, 11:16 AM
Ok, I have a heap of pen blanks ready to go (QLD timbers, WW, cast pine cones and a few cast banksia) to give away. Sorry I can't bring bigger blanks, there is only so much you can fit in the luggage with a 20kg limit :-

Does anyone want me to bring down the Ci1 to demo, or did everyone see it last time?

Any special requests?

jefferson
8th October 2009, 11:32 AM
Neil,

has a Ci1, so leave yours at home and bring some more wood down! :D

RETIRED
8th October 2009, 04:54 PM
What he said.

Neil, are you right for transport?

tea lady
8th October 2009, 06:16 PM
:cool: I'm bringing some lumps of blackwood to share. Was strom harvest. Am picking up tommorow. Rather big apparently.:2tsup:

:doh: Also Choccy ripple cake.:cool:

nalmo
8th October 2009, 06:35 PM
Yum

Calm
8th October 2009, 08:06 PM
just refreshing my memory - be there 10am after 2 more sleeps, bring a chair and my own food/lunch - correct - :2tsup:

Am i bringing the as yet unused bowl saver?

Cheers

tea lady
8th October 2009, 08:13 PM

Cheers:yes: Yes please. I'll bring the NIP to demo on.:D And the Eccentric chuck. Who has that? :cool:

jefferson
8th October 2009, 09:25 PM
just refreshing my memory - be there 10am after 2 more sleeps, bring a chair and my own food/lunch - correct - :2tsup:

Cheers

David, I think it's someone else's turn to bring the snags. Any chance of you ordering at the butcher, and Ken W and I will pick up on the way thru? Plus some bread from the Tooradin bakery..... How many are we expecting?????

:yes: Yes please. I'll bring the NIP to demo on.:D And the Eccentric chuck. Who has that? :cool:

Ken W will bring his Esc. chuck down, plus the Stubby (and a light, ..... :D)

After that, and I will do a demo..... Well, I'll listen a lot. Calm will help no doubt.

I want to be "catch-free" for the day.

Calm
8th October 2009, 09:36 PM
Sorry if i was misunderstood - i meant MY lunch, I was not offering to supply everyone this time. Maybe another time - but if you want everyone to put $2 in or some other idea then i'll be in that

Cheers

jefferson
8th October 2009, 09:44 PM
David, you put the food on the table last time. :):):)

I'll talk with the Master and we'll organise lunch. Somehow. Just got to find a decent butcher that is close to Tooradin....

RETIRED
8th October 2009, 10:27 PM
David, you put the food on the table last time. :):):)

I'll talk with the Master and we'll organise lunch. Somehow. Just got to find a decent butcher that is close to Tooradin....Leave it to Beaver.:D Best butcher and baker around in Tooradin.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2009, 01:37 AM
Looks like I won't be making it as my lift has fallen by the wayside.

So I want to see plenty of :photo2:

Calm
9th October 2009, 07:02 AM

So I want to see plenty of :photo2:

If you get a ride there i can drop you home afterwards.

Cheers

dai sensei
9th October 2009, 12:44 PM
Neil, are you right for transport?

No probs this end I have my mothers car. But please PM your address so I can put it in the GPS thingy. I am pretty sure I know they way, but just in case :rolleyes:

Where are you Skew? Can I pick you up on my way?

I'm coming from East Ivanhoe, miles away, so basically most things on that side of town are on the way. Can't give you a lift home though, I'm calling in on friends at Frankston for dinner, but sounds like Calm can.

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2009, 01:27 PM
Where are you Skew? Can I pick you up on my way?

I'm coming from East Ivanhoe, miles away, so basically most things on that side of town are on the way.

I'm in Kilsyth, which isn't exactly on the way. Thanks for the offer, though. :2tsup:

Grumpy John
9th October 2009, 02:06 PM
I'm a tad confused about the lunch situation :hmm:, is it BYO, or is lunch supplied and a donation required?

dai sensei
9th October 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm in Kilsyth, which isn't exactly on the way. Thanks for the offer, though. :2tsup:

I'm going via Ringwood on the freeway, so it's not too far off the track (using Brisbane as a guide :rolleyes:). If no-one else offers you a lift, I can still pick you up mate to get you there, just need that lift home by someone else. PM me with your contact details and I'll ring you back tonight.

tea lady
9th October 2009, 05:25 PM
I have some good news, and some bad news.

The good news is- I have a car full of blackwood logs. http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

The bad news is I can't make Chocy Ripple cake cos I haven't got any Chocolale Ripples, OR cream.:C And I don't want to go out again cos I've got a car full of blackwood logs. :doh: So I'm making a differnt sort of cake. Sorry!:C

dai sensei
9th October 2009, 05:53 PM
No probs, I'm not allowed to have heaps of cream since the op anyway :U

RETIRED
9th October 2009, 07:48 PM
I'm a tad confused about the lunch situation :hmm:, is it BYO, or is lunch supplied and a donation required?BYO. Tea and coffee supplied.:wink::D

RETIRED
9th October 2009, 07:49 PM
I have some good news, and some bad news.

The good news is- I have a car full of blackwood logs. http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

The bad news is I can't make Chocy Ripple cake cos I haven't got any Chocolale Ripples, OR cream.:C And I don't want to go out again cos I've got a car full of blackwood logs. :doh: So I'm making a differnt sort of cake. Sorry!:CNo forward planning is the problem.:D

Groggy
9th October 2009, 08:02 PM
, did I mention I might be coming? Oldtimers has got its grip on me :-

RETIRED
9th October 2009, 08:19 PM
, did I mention I might be coming? Oldtimers has got its grip on me :-Can't remember but I look forward to it Greg.:wink:

Groggy
9th October 2009, 08:20 PM
Okay, great. Now, have I been there before and did I know the way? :D

rsser
9th October 2009, 09:08 PM
Have a great day guys. I'll be thinking of you, here in Quorn SA.

RETIRED
9th October 2009, 09:29 PM
I can tell you a story about Quorn when I see you Ern.:D

rsser
9th October 2009, 09:49 PM
Look forward to it.

There's sposed to be a turner's gallery here but it looks like it's closed down.

The local art gallery has some lumps that are described as turnings.

The box of Mulga lumps under a table there are more attractive.

tea lady
10th October 2009, 12:54 AM
Cakes made. Greek Lemon coconut cake. I know they don;'t ecen have chocolate in them, but I swear they will be yum. And you can eat WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more before you feel sick. :cool: Mainly cos you eat it so fast, you've eaten to much before you realise.:D

rsser
10th October 2009, 07:44 AM
Enough already. There's drool on the keyboard. :-

Ed Reiss
10th October 2009, 12:12 PM
TL...my wife Annie might be interested in the recipe for the Greek Lemon Coconut Cake.:wink:

Groggy
10th October 2009, 03:35 PM
I took an iced lemon cake but got it :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th October 2009, 09:33 PM
'Twas a good day all around. I don't think there were as many people as at prior meets, but that meant there was more hands-on opportunities for those who wanted. :2tsup:

More than a couple of people had a go at the bowl-saver - Grumpy even trying it on a natural edged set! Jefferson put in a valiant effort on the eccentric chuck with Ken's help and Ken also gave us a hint or two on doing lattice work. (Maybe my next lot won't have the centres falling out. :rolleyes:)

Rob Brown brought along some pieces and an interesting home-made sphere cutting jig, that led some of us to wonder if Ern's going to be disappointed when he returns and find his blade missing a few vital bits...

It was good to meet Neil again... especially when he put some timber he brought down on the table. Conkerberry, Red Mulga & Orange Box to name a few, along with a few nice home-cast pen blanks. Due to a dearth of pen-turners to claim 'em, it looks like some of us are going to have a few classy finials in the future. :U

Then there was the take-home selection of TL's Blackwood logs, as well as some English Oak.

Like I said, 'twas a good day. Wish I'd thought to take a camera...

Enough already. There's drool on the keyboard. :-

Droolworthy indeed. I drank a slice or two. :;

rsser
11th October 2009, 07:47 AM
Need pics!

Sounds like a great day; sorry I missed Neil.

Calm
11th October 2009, 08:53 AM
Was a good Day -Thanks for your hospitality.

Pics - well i think TL and Neil were the only cameras there so until they finish their slumber no pics.

I agree a smaller crowd than some of these events but all quality attendees.

... sorry I missed Neil.

what about the rest of us:D:D:D:p:p:p

How many more days away Ern. enjoy

Cheers

dai sensei
11th October 2009, 10:52 AM
As others have said, it was a great day had by all. A few new faces and a lot of all friends. Some regulars couldn't make it and were sadly missed. Loved the cake :wink:, thanks TL, even though I'm not supposed to eat that sort of thing anymore :no:

Can't believe there were actually WW and coffee bean pens planks left over, might leave them here for next time I'm in Melb

I scored some of the English Oak, roughly turned down on the outside to reduce weight (by the way for those guessing, it is 3.5kgs - I win :U - hmm actually someone else said 3-4kgs too :rolleyes:). I couldn't turn the inside as my tennon didn't match 's chucks :doh:, and I failed one of the top 100 tips, check your next chuck fits before you remove it from the first :B. I'll finish roughing it when I get home as the tennon will fit the jaws on my new big GPW chuck.

Even though the Ci1 was a bit blunt (I should have brought down those spare tips I was given for demos :doh:) I still managed to spray a few others demoning on the other lathe with shavings :harhar:. still took the award for the best streamers though :~, and photos were taken, from the lovely piece of green NI pine from TL. Can't wait for the photos of the finished piece TL.

I also got a huge lump of Cooktown Ironwood sleeper from Skew :thumbup: that will go back in the backpack as it is 5kgs. Seems strange taking back a Qld timber back from Vic :shrug:

My photos will have to wait until I get back to Qld as I don't have photo software here.

See you next time guys and gals, sorry I can't stay for the WWW show :bye2:

Cheers

tea lady
11th October 2009, 11:18 AM
I think I left my camera at 's, so no pics till I get back there on Tuesday.:doh:

We did the NIP bowl after most people had left, cos I didn't have to be anywhere till nearly seven, and what does one do with two hours and a whole selection of lathes and a log? :think: Had some really nice spalting going on, cos I'd left it to go mouldy on the driveway for a while.:cool: Prolly the biggest object I have every attempted. But no pics yet cos the camera.......:C

Snaffled some of Neils wood bits. :cool: So I will have some interesting finials coming up. Also got a cast banksia, so maybe I'll do ONE pen.:D

Also had a go with Groggie's Lie Nielson Dove Tail Saw. So beautiful to use, and expensive, that it deserves capitals all the way. (But sorry I can't spell. :C) I was bemoaning that western saws don't cut straight. And how my Japanese Dozuki is so good. And he said "Have you tried a good one?" So now I have.:cool: And they are. But I don't think Hubby will let me spend THAT much on a saw. (Does your wife know how much that saw cost Groggy?:rolleyes: :D)

Was a great day. Good to see every one again. :2tsup:

Pics coming soon.:cool:

Groggy
11th October 2009, 11:45 AM
They are expensive but they do their job very well. I checked the price when I got home, at the time I bought it a few years ago it was $240 including the case. Now they are $237 for the saw ($249 for progressive pitch) and a further $57 for the case. Arguably I could sell it now for nearly 2/3 current retail so the full cost is not that bad.

tea lady
11th October 2009, 01:40 PM
They are expensive but they do their job very well. I checked the price when I got home, at the time I bought it a few years ago it was $240 including the case. Now they are $237 for the saw ($249 for progressive pitch) and a further $57 for the case. Arguably I could sell it now for nearly 2/3 current retail so the full cost is not that bad.$57 for the case? :faint:

Groggy
11th October 2009, 01:53 PM
$57 for the case? :faint:
That isn't so bad, it is only about 4 packets of cigarettes and you get to keep it :)

rsser
11th October 2009, 04:57 PM
What's progressive pitch Greg? And what's it good for?

Calm, sposed to be back end of the month but the +1 is missing the kid and the shekels evaporate in the presence of outback petrol pumps! $1.90 a litre at Marree :( and they might go faster still in the Barossa.

Groggy
11th October 2009, 05:19 PM
They put smaller teeth at the tip of the blade and gradually deepen the teeth as you go further back. The idea being that you use the tip for fine work or starting the cut and the back of the blade to really get into it.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/dsppteeth.jpg

bowl-basher
11th October 2009, 06:38 PM
You lot almost make me wish I lived in Vic
Look forward to seeing the pics
Bowl-Basher

jefferson
11th October 2009, 07:43 PM
Before all the pics arrive from Tea Lady, can I summarise my "demo" with the esc. chuck?

Calm disappeared in an instant. It was supposed to be a joint effort. The bugger just disappeared... :rolleyes:

He went west and left me holding the baby. (I'd never turned off-centre before). I kept calling out "THANKS, DAVID" but he just kept grinning.

Thank heaven Ken W (WWW) and assisted.

And thanks also to those that watched and didn't give me stage-fright.

A top day. For those that didn't attend (and were close, in Melbourne), you missed heaps. Including the banter between the Dynamic Duo:

- "Are you going to turn a round bead or what?) - WWW to

- "This is how WWW cheats with those little beads...." to WWW.

A great day. I learnt heaps, got some nice wood and sealer (thanks, Calm, Tea Lady and Neil) and touched base with the troops. Plus a lot of encouragement from all. :2tsup: A big step for me, so thanks. :wink:

1st and 2nd turnings "on the table" came from Robbie - very nice. 3rd to Tea Lady with her very busy echnida box. (I would have elevated her to first, but the blackwood she handed out is already splitting..... :rolleyes:. No sealer,,,,)

Good also to catch up with the Qld contingent (Neil) and watch a few catches and bowls blowing out of the chuck - as always.

And Neil, you will keep. The only bloke that gets to spray me with shavings - penalty-free - is . But that's another story.

We all missed Julie but put on his usual feast - meat and bread, no salad. :D:D:D

I hope a few of you can get up here to Kiewa between Xmas and New Year. The Dynamic Duo will no doubt be quarelling - always a good listen and laugh. They make a good pair.

dai sensei
11th October 2009, 10:11 PM
Just got home and unpacked, so here's my pics.

gtwilkins
12th October 2009, 10:12 AM
I was just thinking (dangerous I know) that a gang of turners looks pretty much the same be they in Australia, Canada or where ever.

I have TL figured out but how about some names so those of us what live on different continents can put names to faces.

Ta Trevor

Ed Reiss
12th October 2009, 12:38 PM
what gave her away....the purple shirt might just have:;

Ya' gotta love these get-togethers...half the folks just stand around, hands in pockets or havin' a cuppa of something or other :2tsup:

dai sensei
12th October 2009, 12:54 PM
I need some help with the names:

1. Calm 2. Calm/KenW
3. Grumpy John 4. Tea lady 5. /KenW
6. Skew/Tea lady/Groggy 7. ? ? Jefferson 8. Jefferson
9. Ken/Jefferson/ 10. Tea Lady

Rum Pig
12th October 2009, 01:13 PM
Cheers Neil :2tsup::2tsup: I can put faces to some names now:D

It is funny how you make an image up for someone you have never meet and then when you see a photo of them there never any thing like what you imagined:no:

Grumpy John
12th October 2009, 01:49 PM
Hi Neil, I hope the shine off the top of my head didn't cause too many exposure problems for your camera :p (just thought I'd get in first). Many thanks to for hosting yet another enjoyable day. Much less formal and structured than previous days, I liked it :2tsup:.

Skew looks ready to take on the world :punching:, :wink:.

dai sensei
12th October 2009, 01:55 PM
Skew looks ready to take on the world :punching:, :wink:.

That's his "don't you dare take my photo" look :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th October 2009, 04:56 PM
7. ? ? Jefferson

That's Rob Brown in the middle, but I forget his mates' name. :B

That's his "don't you dare take my photo" look :U

Mutter, mutter, rhubarb. I'll get you Charlie Brown!

RETIRED
12th October 2009, 06:12 PM
Garry Page is the blokes name.

Thank you one and all for attending a very enjoyable day.

David for bringing the bowl saver, Anne- maria for the camera (got a good price) and Blackwood and that sickly sweet orange coconut cake, Kev for the rest of the oak, Robert for a nice off set turning, John for his humour and sarcasm, Skew for his different slant on things, Greg for his dovetail saw (which nearly didn't leave here) and the lemon cake (yum, and no I let some others have some), Gary for his questions, Neil for his pen blanks and the blind man KW for his banter and giving me the chance to give it back.

A special mention must go to Jeff who demonstrated the Escoulien chuck with a bit of help. You have come a long way Grasshopper.:wink::D

As said earlier a most enjoyable day with the right amount of BS and lies.:D

Grumpy John
12th October 2009, 06:19 PM
, you can keep the camera just give the memory card to TL so she can post the pictures :D.

Sawdust Maker
12th October 2009, 08:54 PM
Dang it
One of these days I'm just gunna have to fly down there for one of these gettogethers
no matter what SWMBO says about cost etc (hope she's not ...........

Looks like a good day was had by all :doh:

jefferson
12th October 2009, 10:02 PM
A special mention must go to Jeff who demonstrated the Escoulien chuck with a bit of help. You have come a long way Grasshopper.:wink::D

and Co,

Some of you may know that my "head" function has not been right for some time. But my Masters ( and Ken W - and their wives) are caring for me. Plus quite a few others on the Board. Except Neil who out-bid me on a hollow form down at Phillip Island. :rolleyes:

I cannot express in words what you forum guys have done for me. You know who you are - some loud, some hearing impaired, another with RSI in the hands..... All top people. Another likes to show-off (that's you, ), plus another (to plagiarise) is a top bloke from the neck down..... :D:D:D

I don't know what it is about woodturners. We are all different I know, but not one that I know well is not prepared to share "secrets".

And share wood, give encouragement, advice etc..... Thanks, Andy, David, DJ and Ern.

Very happy to be here. I will - somehow - repay the kindness.

Calm
13th October 2009, 06:54 AM
................. I will - somehow - repay the kindness.

You already have - just buy being you - and still being here:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

Jim Carroll
13th October 2009, 08:40 AM
:whs:

DJ’s Timber
13th October 2009, 08:47 AM
Yep, what Dave & Jim said :wts:

tea lady
13th October 2009, 09:15 AM
You already have - just buy being you - and still being here:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

:whs:

I guess Jim likes the "buy" bit too.:D

Its good to have you round Jeff. We all have our things to struggle with, so aren't going to hold anything like that against you. :) Plus you are very supportive to everyone else too.:cool:

tea lady
13th October 2009, 06:26 PM
Here are the pics. You'd better get a cup of tea or something and pull up a chair.:cool:

Calm is straight into it with the bowl saver.

and Ken with the opinion that David is doing it backwards. Seems there is as many methods as there are woodturners. :doh:

Neil. You can tell the one from Queensland by the suntan.

And SOMEONE had been doing a little porkupine bowling.

Red gum havingn a go with the bowlsaver.
...which broke the tennon off. :think:

On that note time for lunch.:cool:

I'lll do the dishes OK?

You don't want that do you?

Guess who!

dai sensei
13th October 2009, 06:39 PM
Looks like someone has a foot fettish :U:U

tea lady
13th October 2009, 07:04 PM
Jefferson had specially bought some osage orange for me to turn into a finial. Its a finial of sorts I reckon. At least I got to use Ken's tiny detail gouge. And he also taught me how to use it correctly. :cool:

A yellow Lathe. Where does the wood start? :dunce:

The bowl saver gets another chance. Grumpy wondered if it would work for natural edged oak. Seems to. :cool:

Bowl savers require a lot of supervision, apparently. Is this mentioned in the manual? :think:

Jefferson's esc. turning demo. (Action shot.:D ) David? Where are you? :rolleyes:

Through the looking glass. (Don't you think his thumb goes off on a weird angle?)

Nearly finished. (Calm finally turns up.:rolleyes: )

Straightening the chuck to part off.

Ken shinning the light.

Finished.

tea lady
13th October 2009, 08:05 PM
The man (Gary Page) who brought the.....

..... blue fluffy chair.:oo:

A little pat.

Did I get 'im? Did I get 'im?

Getting the weight down to take some exotic English oak back to Queensland.:D

Show and tell pieces from Robert Brown.

Sudden scilence as the cake was madde to disappear.:oo:

does some "proper" turning.:D

and Nalmo get in on the act.:cool:

tea lady
13th October 2009, 08:09 PM
Looks like someone has a foot fettish :U:U

Nah! :rolleyes: Its just traditional to get a pic of Skews feet at all turnfests.:cool::D

Allan at Wallan
13th October 2009, 08:32 PM
Ok, I give up.
Who was the guy who bought the blue fluffy chair?

ReckonI have previously met everyone else shown
in the pics.

Sorry could not make it. Had my 70th birthday on the
3rd October and took crook next day. Have just spent
a week in hospital on a drip and still feeling lousy.

Gall bladder has to come out as soon as infection dies
down. Glad you all had a good time.

Allan

tea lady
13th October 2009, 08:48 PM
Ok, I give up.
Who was the guy who bought the blue fluffy chair?

ReckonI have previously met everyone else shown
in the pics.

Sorry could not make it. Had my 70th birthday on the
3rd October and took crook next day. Have just spent
a week in hospital on a drip and still feeling lousy.

Gall bladder has to come out as soon as infection dies
down. Glad you all had a good time.

AllanI think his name was Gary Page, but I have a terrible memory for names.:doh: He came with Robert Brown over from Hoppers Crossing- Werribee.

:C Hope you're on the mend soon. Better not turn 70 again. Obviousely not good for the health.:rolleyes:

RETIRED
13th October 2009, 09:32 PM
Filled in the right names for you TL.