PDA

View Full Version : Drying Camphor Laurel in the Microwave

Ozkaban
8th September 2009, 01:43 PM
Hi,

I had a bit of a play around with some camphor laurel branches on the weekend. Chopped most up into bowl or spindle blanks, sealed the ends with a 80/20 mix of parafix and bees wax and stored them away.

While I was at it, I thought I might as well have a play with a green bit, so I turned a small bowl (probably 100mm diam, 80mm deep). I always enjoy the smeel of green camphor on the lathe.

After rough turning it, I 'dried' it in the microwave. weigh it, nuke for a few minutes, let it cool, weigh it and repeat. I think that perhaps I shouldn't have gone to check my email during the first microwave session as about 2 minutes in the acrid, burning smell made it's way down to the other end of the house where I was. Raced back to the microwave and there was my bowl, thoroughly dried. By 'dried', I mean 'totally black and pouring smoke off everywhere'. It had only been going 2 minutes.

I didn't take pics as I was in a rush to remove the item from the house before it spontaneously combusted...

I learnt 2 very important lessons from this exercise. 1. Don't use the microwave in the kitchen to dry wood. SWMBO unlikely to be impressed. and 2. Camphor smells lovely when dry, but when black and smouldering it doesn't smell quite so nice.

I managed to air out the kitchen/lounge/dining (curse these open plan houses!!!) in a couple of hours, but the place still stank for a day or so. The microwave itself still reeks, 3 1/2 days afterwards.

I consider myself lucky that it didn't catch fire. That would have been truly nasty :flamed2:

:fireman:

Just a friendly fire tip, from fireman sam :D

Grumpy John
8th September 2009, 02:12 PM
I have used this method for drying green Banksia, and quite successfully too. However I only mwave for about 45 seconds and leave for 5 minutes to cool then another 45 seconds.

Rum Pig
8th September 2009, 02:29 PM
It is very easy to get distracted and burn blanks.:-
I did the same at work I chopped a tree down on a mates block and brought it in to work to show him but I thought it would be best shown in a dry state:doh: turn the microwave on and left planing to come back straight away:C but no I forgot about it until I could smell it from my office for the next 15 Min's I was cooking any food I could find that might smell nice and using air freshener no a man possessed and then pretended that nothing happened when all the office staff started to turn up I could hear the murmurs is something burning & what is that smell:roll:

Now all microwaving is done in the shed:U

thefixer
8th September 2009, 08:58 PM
And here's me thinking I was the only idiot that had done this. Only mine did catch fire and we had to vacate the house for the whole afternoon:oo: Took about a month before the smell had gone from the house and everything cooked in the microwave still smells like it was cooked on an open fire. SWMBO was not "not happy Jan":((:((. Ah well, we live and learn.

NeilS
8th September 2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the warning, Sam.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th September 2009, 10:45 PM
:rolleyes: That's why you put your wood in a plastic bag before nuking... it keeps the smell and any sap splatter contained!

I twist my bags closed and only nuke for a maximum of 1 min or until the bag puffs up with steam, whichever comes first. Then remove it from the bag and let it rest until cool to the touch. About 5 minutes.

Tony Morton
8th September 2009, 11:51 PM
Hi Ozkaban

As Skew said nuke in plastic bag only 1minute at a time I'm usualy in a hurry so when I take it out after the first go its under the tap shake of the surplas water back for 1 more minute after 2 or 3 hits if it seems to be drying on surface cool under tap again then wrap in piece of towel to absorb the steam and give it another go. So far not had trouble with burning been doing it for about twenty years off and on.

Cheers Tony

Ed Reiss
9th September 2009, 02:28 AM
Ozkb.....I'm sitting here laughing only because so many of us, me included have done nearly the same damn thing once or twice.
Was doing a bit of spalted cherry once that was loaded full of bugs...didn't catch fire but a whole herd of them came out of the wood. Next time that LOML wen't to use the microwave she let out a scream...I forgot to clean it out :doh:, she was not pleased !!!:no::no::no:

Glad to hear your situation wasn't a lot more serious.

Grumpy John
9th September 2009, 07:57 AM
Seeing as it's confession time I'll put my hand up. I once had a rather large bowl blank that I'd roughed out and was too impatient to wait for it to dry naturally. It was too big for the microwave, and SWMBO was doing a night shift so I set the oven to 100C and put the roughed out bowl in the oven. I didn't bother to set the timer because it was only 100C and I wouldn't forget about it :rolleyes:. Went up to the lounge room and settled it to watch a bit of tele and was going to check on the bowl at the first add break. I don't reckon I'd sat down more than five minutes and I was asleep, I woke up at about 2AM and the house was reeking, rushed to the kitchen and removed a perfectly dry bowl. I must have emptied two cans of Glen20 trying to get rid of the smell before the missus came home, I had every window open and the aircon fan on full blast to try and get the smell out and the place was freezing. I told SWMBO that she'd see the funny side one day, I think hell will freeze over first. Needless to say we don't mention speed drying bowls at my place any more.

artme
9th September 2009, 08:20 AM
Ozkb.....I'm sitting here laughing only because so many of us, me included have done nearly the same damn thing once or twice.
Was doing a bit of spalted cherry once that was loaded full of bugs...didn't catch fire but a whole herd of them came out of the wood. Next time that LOML wen't to use the microwave she let out a scream...I forgot to clean it out :doh:, she was not pleased !!!:no::no::no:

Funny species, Women. No sense of adventure or necessity.:D:D:D

What level of heat or power do you all use. I usually begin at 10% for 2 mins and see what happens. Depends on the species and moisture content as to how things go.

Tony Morton
9th September 2009, 08:50 AM
Hi Artme
I only ever use full power 1 minute at a time tried on defrost once but natural air drying was quicker I think.

Cheers Tony

Ozkaban
9th September 2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Ozkaban

As Skew said nuke in plastic bag only 1minute at a time I'm usualy in a hurry so when I take it out after the first go its under the tap shake of the surplas water back for 1 more minute after 2 or 3 hits if it seems to be drying on surface cool under tap again then wrap in piece of towel to absorb the steam and give it another go. So far not had trouble with burning been doing it for about twenty years off and on.

Cheers Tony
Hmmm, yes. I was a bit heavy handed :doh:

Now that's a good one! Leaving bugs in the microwave would be an excellent way of sleeping on the couch :D

What level of heat or power do you all use. I usually begin at 10% for 2 mins and see what happens. Depends on the species and moisture content as to how things go.

I think I will take this advice too :2tsup:

Ozkaban
9th September 2009, 09:30 AM
Seeing as it's confession time I'll put my hand up. I once had a rather large bowl blank that I'd roughed out and was too impatient to wait for it to dry naturally. It was too big for the microwave, and SWMBO was doing a night shift so I set the oven to 100C and put the roughed out bowl in the oven. I didn't bother to set the timer because it was only 100C and I wouldn't forget about it :rolleyes:. Went up to the lounge room and settled it to watch a bit of tele and was going to check on the bowl at the first add break. I don't reckon I'd sat down more than five minutes and I was asleep, I woke up at about 2AM and the house was reeking, rushed to the kitchen and removed a perfectly dry bowl. I must have emptied two cans of Glen20 trying to get rid of the smell before the missus came home, I had every window open and the aircon fan on full blast to try and get the smell out and the place was freezing. I told SWMBO that she'd see the funny side one day, I think hell will freeze over first. Needless to say we don't mention speed drying bowls at my place any more.

I could imagine doing this myself. I'm very good at forgetting very quickly!

I was reminded of the quote "Just think, one day we'll look back on this and laugh... very quietly and then change the subject!"

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
9th September 2009, 11:58 AM

Art...have found that the best intervals are:

30 seconds on Defrost
let sit without opening door for 1-2 minutes
take out for 3 minutes
45 seconds on Defrost
repeat sit
take out for 3 mins
1 min on defrost
repeat sit
take out for 3 mins

Keep the one minute heatup for all susequent heatings, then just repeat other steps.
When I do nuke a blank it usually takes at least a half a day and lots of coffee, but have gotten some blanks down to 21% moisture that way.

Eddie54
12th September 2009, 02:49 AM
I was considering the microwave myself, Thanks for the advice and laugh

tea lady
12th September 2009, 11:22 AM
It was too big for the microwave, and SWMBO was doing a night shift so I set the oven to 100C and put the roughed out bowl in the oven. I didn't bother to set the timer because it was only 100C and I wouldn't forget about it :rolleyes:..

50°c might have been a better choice. Your oven should go down that low. You could set a bit of wood on fire at 100° I think.

Freezing has been also suggested. Although doesn't sound as near s much fun.:D And won't happen in a day.:rolleyes: But quicker than hell freezing over.:cool:

Grumpy John
12th September 2009, 11:27 AM
50°c might have been a better choice. Your oven should go down that low. You could set a bit of wood on fire at 100° I think.

Freezing has been also suggested. Although doesn't sound as near s much fun.:D And won't happen in a day.:rolleyes: But quicker than hell freezing over.:cool:

100C is not that hot, boiling water.

BTW how did you do the supertext for the degree symbol?

tea lady
12th September 2009, 03:55 PM
100C is not that hot, boiling water.

BTW how did you do the supertext for the degree symbol?:sleaze:

Shift, alt, 8. ........°°°°°°°°° There are all these other symbols under the numbers if you shift/alt. 1!⁄2@€ 3#‹ 4$› 5%fi 6^fl 7&‡ 8*° 9(· 0)‚ -_— =+± :D At least on a mac there is.:cool:

Dennis Millard
12th September 2009, 04:43 PM
What I was advised to do is to first weigh it carefully, put it on low power for no more than a minute, then take it out and let it cool and weigh it again. keep doing this until it no longer loses weight.
Incidentally, the best thing for getting rid of the smell of burnt or singed wood, or anything else for that matter, is Bicarbonate of Soda powder. Just pour it iut into a tin lid or something and let it stand in the mic.
Dennis.

Harry72
13th September 2009, 01:26 AM
:sleaze:

Shift, alt, 8. ........°°°°°°°°° There are all these other symbols under the numbers if you shift/alt. 1!⁄2@€ 3#‹ 4 5%fi 6^fl 7&‡ 8*° 9(· 0)‚ -_— =+± :D At least on a mac there is.:cool:

For "normal" PC's its alt 0176 °°°

nalmo
13th September 2009, 02:42 PM
I seem to remember that there are 2 things that are essential for successful microwave drying of timber.
1. Enough money to buy a new microwave oven.
2. A very, very understanding partner.

Tomislav
14th September 2009, 09:19 PM
Guys,
the local Vinnies will gladly sell you a big old microwave for $10 donation or so.,. and be glad to get rid of it..might need a new fuse at most.. also council cleanup.. sees a few.. but they are problematic..

John Saxton
14th September 2009, 09:36 PM
What I was advised to do is to first weigh it carefully, put it on low power for no more than a minute, then take it out and let it cool and weigh it again. keep doing this until it no longer loses weight.
Incidentally, the best thing for getting rid of the smell of burnt or singed wood, or anything else for that matter, is Bicarbonate of Soda powder. Just pour it iut into a tin lid or something and let it stand in the mic.
Dennis.

On the money Dennis.

Greenie launched

Cheers:)