PDA

View Full Version : shot glasses

trollhameran
10th September 2009, 07:47 PM
Hi. I want to make a shot glass chess set, I have designs for the glasses for different pieces, but I am wondering what would timber to use, they would need to be one light and one dark and suitable for use as glasses, so food safe. Also what sort of finish would be suitable for drinking from and protecting the timber from alcohol.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th September 2009, 08:07 PM
Somehow I doubt that my suggestions for suitable timbers would be of much use to you. Being Aussie and all. :U

But most fruitwoods are food safe, so perhaps Oak and a dark Walnut?

I seal the inside of my goblets with Rustin's Plastic Finish, which is basically a high-end PolyU. The outsides are simply Danish Oil.

You need to rinse them out thoroughly before the first though, otherwise BLECH!

Rum Pig
10th September 2009, 11:50 PM
Somehow I doubt that my suggestions for suitable timbers would be of much use to you. Being Aussie and all. :U

But most fruitwoods are food safe, so perhaps Oak and a dark Walnut?

I seal the inside of my goblets with Rustin's Plastic Finish, which is basically a high-end PolyU. The outsides are simply Danish Oil.

You need to rinse them out thoroughly before the first though, otherwise BLECH!

I would be tempted to cover the whole shot in Rustin's because when ever I have played shot games it always end in a great mess:C, and then if someone in a drunken state throws them in the sink and leaves them there to go and get another drink and gets distracted it will not hurt them and that way it will not matter what timber you use. I would also not get to fancy with wall thickness as they will be dropped slammed and sucked on (so I have been told:U). That is my 2 bob's worth

Good luck and I will be waiting to see the finished set

trollhameran
11th September 2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, im going to the yandles woodturning show in the UK today so ill look for some fruit wood and for some rustins plastic finish.

rodent
17th September 2009, 06:20 AM
Thick bases for them i'm doing some dice cups at the moment so the same applies .Skew rustin's plastic finish is an EPOXY finish , some times i think you do this to see if any body's awake .