PDA

View Full Version : To Meber or not to Meber that is the question

Ralphy
11th September 2009, 01:45 PM
Hi all,
There are two used Mebers for sale a 400 and a SR600 model interstate. All about $2000.00. Is this a good choice or should I go for a new 14 inch model from someone else? I have never used a band saw before and predict that I will only try and cut veneers occasionally if I can manage. I only want one band saw in my workshop so it must be able to cut everthing from small circles, veneers for jewellery boxes and other small to medium projects. Of course I may get enough confidence and experience to tackle a larger project in the future.

Emiel
26th September 2009, 07:23 AM
I own a Meber SR700 and it cuts everything I chuck at it. Recently I cut about 2m2 of very hard 600 year old european oak at 25cm thickness and that was no problem at all. Off course choosing the right sawblade is important with these kinds of operations.

If you have the space I would go for the bigger saw, because this allowes for more versatile use.

Hope this helps.

warmtone
21st November 2009, 11:19 PM
Hi all,
I have never used a band saw before and predict that I will only try and cut veneers occasionally if I can manage. I only want one band saw in my workshop so it must be able to cut everthing from small circles, veneers for jewellery boxes and other small to medium projects. Of course I may get enough confidence and experience to tackle a larger project in the future.

Hi Ralphy,

The larger machines like the Meber 600 and above are superb for larger work ie serious re-saw of 200 - 350mm plus hardwood. While these machines are a good investment, you may well end up buying a smaller bandsaw for finer work because the blade guide system they use is designed for larger blades ie 1/4inch to about 1 1/2 inches.

The best all round Meber for the work you have outlined is probably the Meber 500 which is about 20". For small projects the Meber 400 is also a great machine......These "small" Italian machines are still incredibly rigid and capable:2tsup: so don't think "small" equals performance compromise as Meber maintains consistent high quality across the range.

I have just bought a Sipa 600 (24 inch) which is similar to the Meber 600 and it is a dream to use for larger pieces......... fyi I was s going to sell my JET 18X-3 but will probably keep it for smaller workpieces:!