PDA

View Full Version : Bench grinder water container

Tiger
12th September 2009, 01:01 PM
I don't have a lot of room where my bench grinder is located. I use a small can of water that sits on a bench nearby to cool tools etc when they get hot from grinding. Would like to bring the water nearer to the bench and preferably keep it covered, I'm wondering what others have done to keep their tools cool.

orraloon
21st September 2009, 04:30 PM
My grinder is on a light portable stand so the vibration makes a water container want to walk off the edge. I just use a plastic bucket sat on a milk crate within easy reach.
Regards
John

Tiger
21st September 2009, 08:22 PM
The crate gives me an idea and that is to use some other support for the container. Judging from the number of responses most people just use a container sitting near the grinder. I had originally thought of something that can swing out of the way when needed as I don't have a lot of space, just not sure how I would attach it.

BobL
21st September 2009, 09:09 PM
I keep my water bath on an adjacent bench but another solution is to get yourself a 19 mm thick board long enough so you can clamp one end to the bench and leaves the other end with enough space on it to hold a water bath. Build up a little well or fix a few nails to the board to stop the water bath moving.

Woodlee
26th September 2009, 10:01 PM
I use a 4 litre ice cream container ,they are cheap and easy to move around and don't rust out .When the bottom gets full of crud I just toss them and get another.

Kev.

joe greiner
27th September 2009, 09:05 PM
I use a spray bottle of water, recovered from household cleaners. The nozzle has plenty of mileage left after the contents have been exhausted. NG for dipping, though, but my tools don't get very hot.

Cheers,
Joe

Dingo Dog
3rd October 2009, 12:07 AM
My grinder sits on 4 sections of angle iron welded into a square, stands at the right height, bolted to the floor. Had the same or similar problem, grind a lathe tool, walk to the bench, cool etc etc. Sick of doing that so I made up a container out of galv, soldered the corners so they would not leak, punched two holes in the bib then screwed it just below where the grinder is mounted on the stand, its right there. Now its grind and dip, grind and dip. Perhaps you could mount something off your bench near your grinder.

DD