PDA

View Full Version : BackSaw Bug (a strain of the Tool Bug)

kevjed
12th September 2009, 05:55 PM
I can see how this saw making thing can be adictive.
I've been reading and tinkering and joining in on the group buys, (thanks again folks) and I've decided to bite the bullet. ....Almost
Here are a couple of pics of my first attempt at a handle. Its more a trial mockup to look at the size and overall shape. Details are not yet resolved and I've made it to fit Andre the Giant at this stage and I plan to make several smaller dummies in the next few weeks before I make a real one.
Inspiration taken from the templates provided by RayG at his great website.
http://www.backsaw.net/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=7&page=2

I've drawn up an oversized template and reduced it down for various sizes on the photocopier. Lots of fun so far.
Am I on the right track?
All the best
Kevin

RayG
12th September 2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Kevin,

You're in trouble now, It's a slippery slope. That pine mockup looks pretty good to me. Making a mockup is a good way to be sure it fits your hand the way you like. When you get to doing the real thing. You should fit the saw plate and inlet the back while it's still flat.

I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Regards
Ray

IanW
12th September 2009, 07:22 PM
Wot Ray sed.

Looks pretty good to me - better finish than I do on a mockup!
:U
Cheers,

pedder
14th September 2009, 12:19 AM
Am I on the right track?

Hi Kevin,

don't listen to the others sawmaking isn't addicitive at all. :fisch:

I sure do like your pattern. For the handle better use some rift or quatersawn wood.

Cheers
Pedder

derekcohen
14th September 2009, 02:28 AM
Hi Kevin

You are more than just on the right track! Very nice!

Now if we can get Pedder (Hi Pedder!) to post some of his work here, then the bar will be set very high indeed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

kevjed
14th September 2009, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the feed back folks.
A few more trial runs on the handle size and shaping and I'll give it a go. I'm keen to develop the techniques to "get it right"(ish) from the start.
I'll keep posting as the mockups and real tool develop.
thanks for the inspiration
Kevin

kevjed
16th September 2009, 04:02 PM
Here are a few more mockups straight off the band saw. (lunch time yesterday) No file work yet but made in two other sizes. I decided to laminate up the blanks from 12mm pine with a core of 4mm ply. Yes, this is way too thick but the idea is that I can see a clear center line when I'm shaping the handle and I can have definte reference points to work from when trying to customise the handles.
Ok, all of you saw makers out there. Here is a question for you.
When you measure your hand to custom fit a saw handle what measurements do you take and why?
My guess ...would you measure from the out side of the lower part of the knuckle on the little finger to the the webbing between the pointer and middle fingers and also from the same spot to the out side lower of the pointer finger knuckle.
Comments?
Here are the pics of the next two smaller handle blanks. Will post more next week some time.
All the best
Kevin

IanW
16th September 2009, 07:24 PM
Kevin - I find I have to roughly shape the grip & hold it to get a true idea if it's the right shape & size for me - no need to get elaborate, just rough it to close enough.

The other aspect to pay attention to when making handles from scratch is the angle the grip makes (relative to the tooth line). This, I discovered, is one of the true joys of rolling your own (it was well-known to others before I stumbled on it, of course!). You can tailor the grip angle to suit the intended main use of the saw. For example, a saw used up closer to chest height like a dovetailing saw benefits from a grip that is more vertical to the tooth line, while a saw that is principally used low down on a bench-hook, for e.g. is much more comfy with a grip that is around 45* - the actual angle depends on the height of your bench relative to your extended forearm when sawing at a comfortable position. There are no hard & fast rules - whatever you find comfy is what is right. But it makes a huge difference to whether a saw is a real 'go to' or one of the ones that languishes in the tool chest. It's only since I started making multiple saws & fooling with different handle styles that the penny finally dropped for me....

You can still use the same basic handle pattern you have there, you just alter the line of the cheek piece a bit. One thing to watch out for is that the more vertical grips will project below the tooth line on smaller (i.e. narrower) saws. This doesn't matter in some situations, but may mean you can't use it in some situations where the handle would foul the bench or suchlike. You just have to make a couple of new saws, so you have one that fits any situation. :U
I should do a diagram to explain myself better, but I reckon you will undestand what I'm rattling on about, & I'm past due for going home!

Cheers,

Woodwould
16th September 2009, 07:34 PM
An excellent start. Now just make a saw will you and show it to us?

kman-oz
16th September 2009, 09:25 PM
How on earth do you manage to make pine and ply handles look good Kev? Honestly?!? I need you to come and take photos of my tools :(

RayG
17th September 2009, 12:55 AM
Hi Kev,

Looks like you're getting the hang of it. As far as scaling to suit your hand, just grab a piece of wood about the right thickness using the 3 finger grip and measure across the width of your 3 fingers, then make the inside part of the handle to suit. If you have really long fingers then you might want to increase the thickness, say from 7/8 to 1"

As you are shaping it, try gripping it periodically and tweak where necessary.

The "hang angle" is critical as Ian has said, Look at other saws of the type you are making and copy that geometry, that way you will be starting with something in the ball park, you can tweak things from there.

Regards
Ray

kevjed
17th September 2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks again.
I found the article by Ian on your website Ray along with some interesting stuff on Pedder's site (why didn't I let Google translate it for me months ago?). So I'll play with hang angles and get something made soon.(Promise Woodwould) I suffer from paralysis by analysis some times. You guys understand I'm sure. The more you know the more you realise you don't know. Sometimes you just need to have a go and suck it and see. Learn from the experience and learn to recover from the errors to turn them into features.
Dave, I'm happy to take photo's for you any time mate. It's all smoke and mirrors.
take care
Kevin
PS I'm off to find some timber for a few saws

pedder
20th September 2009, 10:52 PM
Now if we can get Pedder (Hi Pedder!) to post some of his work here, then the bar will be set very high indeed. Hi Derek, thank you for the kudos. To tell the truth: most of the visible parts of our saws is made by Klaus. I nearly only make the teeth an some jobs on the splines. I won't show pictures here to avoid kidnapping this post, but there are a few on my blog. Cheers Pedder BTW the fora are extremly slow, aren't they?

kevjed
21st September 2009, 12:47 AM
Please, Feel free to post as many pictures as you like in this thread Pedder.
Those saws look wonderful.
All the best
Kevin

kevjed
24th November 2009, 09:58 AM
Still no complete saws but here are a few of the handles as WIP.
I'm happy with the fit in my hand and understand that they will not fit all but that's OK. They fit me.
None are finished but I have several that are close to having the blades fitted.
Gidgee & Myrtle with Blackwood and Ringed Gidgee to come.

A picture of the saw IanW made for me along with an Ebony Adria DT saw is included for comparison. Details still need to be added for cosmetics but the fit in the hand works for me.

I hope to make some complete saws before Christmas.
The last photo is my early Christmas Present from my 2 year old. (her mother has no idea she was so kind)
all the best
Kevin

lightwood
24th November 2009, 10:25 AM
Still no complete saws but here are a few of the handles as WIP.
I'm happy with the fit in my hand and understand that they will not not fit all but that's OK. They fit me.
None are finished but I have several that are close to having the blades fitted.
Gidgee & Myrtle with Blackwood and Ringed Gidgee to come.

A picture of the saw IanW made for me along with and Ebony Adria DT saw is included for comparison. Details still need to be added for cosmetics but the fit in the hand wrks for me.

I hope to make some complete saw before Christmas.
The last photo is my early Christmas Present from my 2 year old. (her mother has no idea she was so kind)
all the best
Kevin
Kevin,
looking very nice!
I had the chance to watch Ray put together a saw recently, and although he explained what he was doing, and gave a running commentary, like watching anyone skilled at handwork, it was interesting to watch for the things he did without thinking, and perhaps didn't even realize he was doing. How he held the tools, the orientation of the work, and especially a treat to see how experience enabled him to free-hand layout, and see ahead what was needed, the order of work I guess.

Great to see more tools being made!

Regards,
Peter..who might finish a saw before Christmas also:B

jmk89
24th November 2009, 10:45 AM
Kevin,
looking very nice!
I had the chance to watch Ray put together a saw recently, and although he explained what he was doing, and gave a running commentary, like watching anyone skilled at handwork, it was interesting to watch for the things he did without thinking, and perhaps didn't even realize he was doing. How he held the tools, the orientation of the work, and especially a treat to see how experience enabled him to free-hand layout, and see ahead what was needed, the order of work I guess.

Regards,

Peter

You are so right. It is why an old-fashioned apprenticeship was both so long and so unstructured. You had to spend 7 years just picking up knowledge in the atmosphere.

The recently re-issued book on apprenticeship, The Joiner and the Cabinet Maker (available from Tools for Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=AQ-1135.XX&Category_Code=N) - I have no affiliation, but enjoyed reading it) makes the point - the apprentice did nothing for his first year or two except tidy up , keep the fire up and the glue pot full and ready for use whenever required, but should observe what the journeymen were doing and how the were doing it, to prepare himself for his opportunity.

RayG
24th November 2009, 05:53 PM
Kevin,
looking very nice!

Regards,

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, I got a real kick out of reading those comments. I was tempted to remind you of our unspoken contract, that if I made an infill plane, you would make a saw, but I see you already pre-empted the strike with a "might finish before Christmas..." Waiting with bated breath.....

I enjoyed watching you make the name stamp, you made it look easy. But I know that it takes 30 years of making fine Jewellery to make it look that easy.

Kev,

Those handles look beautiful, I have no doubt that a day or so in the workshop, you'll have a saw to be proud of. Nothing quite as satisfying as making stuff with tools that you've tailored to suit yourself.

Can I get your wife to have a chat with a few of my Grandkids looking for gift ideas! :D

Regards
Ray

kevjed
25th November 2009, 01:16 PM
Hi Folks,
thanks for the feed back. You lot are the inspiration for all of this.

I got a buzz from the few hours I spend in your company a little while ago Peter and I'm sure that most of the apprentices you have had over the years will have also learnt a lot from your unspoken instruction. I have learnt so much from others by association and I wish I could find more time to listen, observe, try and do. (So many things to refine already).
Thanks for the vote of confidence Ray. I'll try to have one done by the end of next week.
Any others out there who were in the first plate buy made a saw or two yet? Or am I the only slack one.:rolleyes:
All the best
Kevin
PS I have cut two Blackwood handles on the bandsaw this morning.
(I don't like report and exam time so I do a little PD to break up the day)

derekcohen
25th November 2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Kevin

This ...

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f152/122839d1259016757t-backsaw-bug-strain-tool-bug-keimg_9856-large-.jpg

... is a beautiful handle.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all together.

Regards from Perth

Derek

pedder
27th November 2009, 03:02 AM
Hi Kevin,

sorry for being late. These are extreme beautiful handles.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f152/122840d1259016757t-backsaw-bug-strain-tool-bug-keimg_9859-large-.jpg

The wood ist perfekt and so is workmanship.

One thing i strongly recommend: Cut the Mortise and the slot for the blade first. I learn it the hard way that these are the most difficult tasks in Handle making. You can easily destroy the work o several hours with on little error.

Cheers
Pedder

kevjed
28th November 2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
I'm happy that I can shape the handles now and I think I've got the overall size and shape happening. The Gidgee handle is the only one I've spent any time on so far so I will make sure I get the blade slots and mortise done before I go much further.
Up until now I've just been getting to know the working characteristics of the various timbers I'm hoping to use. The Gidgee is my favorite so far but much more difficult to work than the pine, myrtle or blackwood.
I have picked up the forstner bits I needed so …
Its coming.
All the best
Kevin

kevjed
16th December 2009, 01:32 AM
I had an hour or two in the shed today and I've learnt a thing or two about how not to put a saw together. This has been a slow WIP so I may as well show you the stuff ups as well as the happy results as we go.
Given that everyone states that the fitting of the blade and back is the most difficult phase I've focused on the handle blanks and refining the size and shape.
Today I had a go at fitting the blade and back to one of the blackwood blanks.

At first glance, not too bad. Blade and back seem to fit well enough.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124327&stc=1&d=1260886622
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124328&stc=1&d=1260886622
But...

I didn't get the split nuts lined up 100%, I used a Whitney punch to cut the holes through the blade. I was out by a little bit with one of the holes. I should have filed the hole with a needle file or diamond file or with a die grinder. Hey, I always said it was a learning process.
I did what any kid would have done. I just pushed a little harder, and then a little harder again. (0.020" spring steel can make a mess of brass split nuts given half a chance:doh:)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f152/124330d1260886614-backsaw-bug-strain-tool-bug-img_9913-medium-.jpg

OK, I made a recovery but it has come at a cost. I now have to finish and refine the handle with the blade fixed firmly in place. Another lesson, you can have and do anything if you are prepared to pay the price... I have learnt the hard way.
So I'm going to have to work a little harder on this one to make it look pretty but if I get the fangs right it should still be a user.
I am determined to have a pretty, functional tool by the end of the week.
I'll keep you posted in this long, slow process. I'm a little slow, life gets in the way of shed time sometimes but I wouldn't change it.
thanks for looking
Kevin

IanW
16th December 2009, 08:32 AM
All of life's a learning curve, Kev!

My first couple of attempts at fitting handles were not too hot, either. In those cases I was fitting blades that were already drilled, which takes even more concentration, plus a bit of guess-work. Making neat holes free of dimpling in spring steel is a bit of a challenge, isn't it? After ruining several HSS drills I went out & bought a couple of those 'cobalt' drills - a small one for a pilot hole, and another the size of the bolts. After I have cut the blade slot & the wider slot for the spine, I set them all up nicely & use the full-sized drill through the already drilled handle holes to mark the centres on the blade. At this stage I have the spine as a loose fit on the blade, so it's easy to take it off, set up the blade in the drill press, nice & flat on a good hardwood backing, drill the pilot holes, then finish to size. However, with all the care in the world, an occasional hole does get slightly out of line, so a judicious bit of cleaning with a small chainsaw file is called-for.

You'll find it pays to make small saws so that handles are easily removed, 'cos it's so much easier to sharpen them with handles off. Most vices won't hold the full blade with handles on, leaving 30-50mm of blade at the heel in mid-air. That makes for some screechy, difficult filing, so you are going to have a few more choice words to say before this one is sawing wood!

I'm a bit further down the road than you, which means I've made a few more blunders, but the last few saws I made went together very smoothly, so I must have learnt a little bit along the way. Persistence pays, eventually.......:U

Cheers,

RayG
16th December 2009, 12:57 PM
Hi Kev,

Those handles are looking pretty good ... you've pretty well mastered that part of the process..

Inletting the brass back and fitting the blade is just a matter of a bit of practice, and doing things in a sequence that makes it easier. I punch the holes first and then transfer those to the handle, that way it always lines up.

Cutting the slot for the blade and keeping it nice and square, requires a bit of practice, and patience, it might take a few goes.

I'm pretty sure you've read this before, but it might help some others (?)
Saw Handle Making Tutorial (http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=102)

Keep at it, you're looking good so far...

Regards
Ray

kevjed
21st March 2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks to all for the inspiration and help with making my little saw.
I was able to recover from all of my little errors along the way and I've learnt a thing or two along the way.
8" canted blade 0.020" thick
16tpi
blackwood handle
3 coats of shelac

I've been using it for 6 weeks and I'm happy overall. I'm sure I'll do a better job on the next few.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about the progress. Life gets in the way of many things.
All the best
Kevin

derekcohen
21st March 2010, 07:39 PM
Hi Kevin

My compliments. That looks most excellent. Indeed!

You really came up trumps on the handle. Wonderful combination of shaping and timber. It looks very comfy. And the teeth look fine from here! :U

Looking forward to the next one.

Regards from Perth

Derek

IanW
21st March 2010, 09:35 PM
Yep - looks like a saw to me, & a good one too!

Oh dear, looks like a severe case of saw-itis, - already thinking of the next & the next & this one's barely run in....

:U :;

kevjed
22nd March 2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the kind words Derek and Ian.
From a distance....without glasses.... those teeth are mighty fine.But...
Up close and personal....well they cut well enough but this tool is going to be my test bed for sharpening so Its going to be refined a few times in the next few weeks.
I think I have to cut a few more sets and sharpen a few more times before it cuts as well as that little DT saw that you have made for me Ian.(Sweet tool that one)
Watch this space in the next few weeks...
My Mrs can't understand why I would want more than one of any tool ....
Ray, Ian, Derek,Peter and Bob.....you are a bad influence:2tsup: l
Thanks so much
more to come
Kevin

IanW
22nd March 2010, 10:15 AM
Kevin - if your first set of teeth cut even half decently, you are in the game! I reckon by saw # 3 or 4 you'll be challenging the Wenzloffs. :U

I made several sets of teeth before it started coming together for me, but it eventually happens. Its just a matter of being methodical & consistent, & checking as you go. You'll be able to correct a few wayward teeth quite easily after a bit more practice.

Practice is the key, of course, & why I ended up making so many saws last year - by the time I went back & revisited the teeth on some of my earlier efforts, I must have shaped & sharpened more than 30 sets. It's also best for me if I can do the whole process of shaping, setting & sharpening in one go without any interruptions. I feel reasonably confident about sharpening a small saw now, but am well-aware I am still a rank beginner. Being able to see properly is my main limiting factor - I could not do anything these days without my head-band magnifier! :C

Cheers,

RayG
22nd March 2010, 02:57 PM
Hi Kev,

That looks magnificent, you certainly have an eye for the handle shape, and as Ian says the sharpening comes with practice, but you are already well down the track.

That blackwood is one of those timbers that have "chatoyance" that almost irridescent look as the light reflects off the grain. Good choice.

Looking forward to the next one!

Regards
Ray

pedder
22nd March 2010, 09:26 PM
From a distance....without glasses.... those teeth are mighty fine.But...
Up close and personal....well they cut well enough but this tool is going to be my test bed for sharpening so Its going to be refined a few times in the next few weeks.

Hi Kevon,

fantastic progress on the saw I love the wood and your finish.

Regarding the teeth: my first set looked worse.http://hw.roesch.de/Bilder/B1774.jpg

Cheers Pedder

kevjed
30th December 2010, 09:26 PM
After an eventful 2010 I decided that January is going to be the time that I finish some of the saws that I started many months ago. To push me along a bit I thought I'd post my intentions here in the hope that it will prompt me to "just get on with it and make a few saws"
I have 7 saw blades and backs ready to go. 5 of these have teeth cut and sharpened. I have 4 saws with the saw plate slits cut into the handles and 2 ready to have the bolts fitted and handles shaped.
The Mrs and the kids will have a few days away with her family and I get to stay home and catch up on things around the house and in the shed.
So the "Back Saw Bug" is back.
Watch this space.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=157201&stc=1&d=1293704978

Ironwood
30th December 2010, 09:36 PM
Lookin good Kev. :2tsup:

I cant wait to see the progress.

RayG
30th December 2010, 10:23 PM
Good to see Kev,

Now we can all nag you to finish!...

I'll go first, ... Hey Kev, Finished those saws yet? :rolleyes:

Regards
Ray

pjr
30th December 2010, 10:49 PM
Hi Kev, research shows that when we announce our goals we are less likely to achieve them! Now we'll all need to keep on your back to help make sure you get there.....

There's an interesting article here:
http://sivers.org/zipit

IanW
31st December 2010, 08:34 AM
Go for it Kev - nothing like New Year resolutions!

I've temporarily retired from sawmaking. With the total now approaching 40 saws since the bug latched onto me two-and-a-bit years ago, I think I am ready to call it quits for a while. LOML agrees emphatically! :U

The good news is that with all this wet weather we've been copping these last two weeks, I've managed an unusually large number of shed hours, and have had the opportunity to give some of my new saws a thorough workout on 'real' jobs. They all seem to be working well, I'm pleased to report, though I am definitely most thrilled with my "D8" 'half-back' copy. It is just right for all sorts of jobs, and more versatile than a 'full-back' saw of similar size. Can't understand why these aren't more popular......

Happy new year to yez all, & may 2011 be full of sharp, well-set teeth... :;

Cheers,

kman-oz
31st December 2010, 09:36 AM
Hi Kev, research shows that when we announce our goals we are less likely to achieve them! Now we'll all need to keep on your back to help make sure you get there.....

I reckon that depends on the person. Rather than go completely off-topic I'll say this; If you've made a start and you need a tool to re-motivate yourself I reckon announcing your intention is powerful. Kev's already made lots of progress. On the other hand if you've made up your mind to do something, then tell everyone about it, the two conditions can be self-satisfying and nothing gets done. Obviously not the case here.

Personally I believe the WIP thread is a great tool, and who doesn't like reading them and commenting too?

Great job so far Kev, love your work!

Dave.

pjr
31st December 2010, 02:04 PM
Oh just some tongue-in-cheek humor that I guess didn't come across while steadfastly not announcing that I intend to make an open tote dovetail size back saw this year. Oops. Haha!

kevjed
2nd January 2011, 08:43 PM
OK, here is my second complete saw ever.
American Black Walnut, 12" Rip its twin in Cross Cut is next on the list and will be up in a few days.
I remember why I got the bug after todays shed time.

RayG
2nd January 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi Kev,

Congratulations on such a beautiful looking saw, it looks great, :2tsup: I especially like the medallion and the finish you have got on the handle.

Walnut and Brass, go together perfectly... my favourite combination.

Nice work, can't wait to see the others..

Regards
Ray

IanW
3rd January 2011, 08:13 AM
Walnut is an excellent handle wood, I've found - it develops a very nice patina with use. I think you'll come to like this one very much.

So when are you going to engrave your company logo on that elegant medallion?? :U

Cheers,

kevjed
4th January 2011, 06:53 PM
Here we go. Two down four or five to go.
This one is the twin to the first one so its filed X-cut,Walnut and also 12TPI.
Thanks for the feed back guys I have learnt a lot during the last few years from each and every one of you.
The medallions will have to wait until Feb or March when I return to work and have access to a little cnc machine. I will add medallions to these two and a couple more I have in mind for down the track.
These two work very well and the sharpening thing is getting better.
All the best
Happy Saw month to all
Kevin

planemaker
4th January 2011, 07:00 PM
Wonderful work Kevin. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Stewie.

derekcohen
4th January 2011, 07:22 PM
Hi Kev

Very impressive work!

How do the handles feel in your hand? And - not sure if anyone asked this and you answered but - what finish did you use?

Regards from Perth

Derek

kevjed
4th January 2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks Gents.
Hi Derek, I’ve used Orange oil and a little shellac for the finish. Time will tell if I prefer just the oil to the coated finish. I know some people don’t like the coated finish on tools as they can feel a little slippery if you are like me and sweat a heap in summer.
I have made these two handles a little squarer than the first batch I made 9 months ago as I wanted to streamline the making time. These are quite comfy in the hand but I haven’t spent more than 30 mins with each of them yet. Just some test sawing as I finished the sharpening. They are almost as comfy as the first real handle I made last year but I did spend two weeks carrying it around with me and getting everyone I ran into to put it into their hand and give me feedback. This is the reason its not on a saw yet. A mate, who shall remain nameless but makes some world class tools himself, gave it the once over and gave his feedback while casually tossing it round in the air and dropped it onto his bench and then the floor. Needless to say it didn’t fair as well as the square from the latest batch that he bounced off his floor as featured on his blog. (Just kidding Chris, I did manage to save it) I’ll take them down for him to try out in the next few weeks when I pick up my new set of Squares.
I hope to get a few more done when the wife and kids are away for a few days soon.
Take care
Kevin

derekcohen
4th January 2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah, well that is why I did not let him use my Wenzloff or IT! :)

For myself, I just buff on Shellawax, rub it down with 0000 wool to remove the shine, and then finish with wax paste. This leaves a natural, soft but durable finish.

Regards from Perth

Derek

kevjed
4th January 2011, 09:07 PM
"Yeah, well that is why I did not let him use my Wenzloff or IT! :) ":U
Thanks for that, I'll give Shellawax a go on a few of the next lot.
All the best
Kevin

IanW
5th January 2011, 10:57 AM
Kev. - I'll second the Shellawax - it's become my finish of choice for all tool handles, and not just because it's so easy. I apply it on the lathe on turned pieces, or buff it off with a cloth wheel on non-turned things like saw handles, to ensure a fine, even coat. Then, in a similar approach to Derek's, I rub it down with 4-o steel wool & wax to end up with a sheen that I don't find too slippery, but has a lovely tactile quality. And it seems to last amazingly well for such a simple process.

The truly big advantage of making your own handles is that you can fit them so neatly that they just sit in your hand, sweaty or dry! But it's a delicate business, and I'm a long ways from mastering it. I've got the grip part more or less sorted for my own hand, but not necessarily others, as I've quickly found doing the few custom jobs I've tried. The difference between a perfect fit and not being right can be just a few rasp strokes too few or too many at the critical points (toe, heel, & top horns). But then you have to decide on the grip angle, and its position (high or low) relative to the blade, which in turn are dependant on where the saw is most frequently applied to the wood - i.e. low down on the bench, or higher up, close to elbow level, etc. Add the ingredients of different hand sizes, sawing tasks, and plain individual preferences, and you have a complex mix! This is what has kept me mucking about with saws, and could keep me interested for quite a while yet! :U

Oh, and then there's the qualities of different woods. Walnut is nice, no doubt - the first decent handle I ever made is Walnut, and it has aged beautifully, but I reckon good She-oak is even better, and the handle I made from WA Rock-oak not only feels good, it is mellowing to a stunning looking piece of wood with its fine fiddleback figure standing out even more than when it was first finished. Recently, I found a piece of fiddleback Myall (A. papyrocarpa) which has made a pretty nice handle, and I've got a bit of ring Gidgee squirreled away with the idea of one day making a "presentation dovetail set" consisting of saw, cutting gauge, scribes & dovetail templates in ring Gidgee.

Hmmm, I thought I had this under control - I'd better up the meds... :C

Cheers,

kevjed
5th January 2011, 04:29 PM
I have some Ringed Gidgee that I've had for about 3 years now....waiting ...waiting
Another two years (or so) and it will make a set of saws along with my interpritation of the Colen Clenton and Chris Vesper Marking tools( Squares, Dovetail Markers, Gauges) .... slowly slowly one task at a time.
I have some Gidgee handles in mind for the next few saws in the coming weeks.
....slowly slowly one task at a time.:roll:
For now I am more than happy with making the handles fit me...I could copy the generic handle sizes of the Veritas, LN, Wenzloff, Adria but whats the point...none are as comfy as the ones that fit me exactly. That's why I spent so much time making pine blanks when I stated this caper over 12 months ago.
Then of course the whole cutting/punching teeth thing along with all the variables of sharpening that you and Ray have outlined before. I plan to use an arbour press to punch the teeth after I finish this months saws.Just need to put the punch and die together and build in adjustablity for the variables. Lots to learn...for now I'm happy with the most recent two and will develop more understanding in the next few years I'm sure.
Happy Saw Month to all.
Kevin

IanW
5th January 2011, 04:34 PM
Kev - sounds like we better BOTH up the medication - this bug is highly virulent!

But it's hard to stop when it's so much fun!
:U

RayG
6th January 2011, 04:49 PM
Hi Ian, Kev,

That Gidgee would be nice. Not purple is it, by any chance?

I have a nice piece of gabon ebony that I'm saving for a special saw... But I agree with Ian walnut is hard to beat at any time.

On the finishing, I use shellac until the grain is filled and then Shellawax, buffed on a wheel, but you have to be careful not to let it catch on the buffing pad.. DAMHIKT. :rolleyes:

Regards
Ray

IanW
6th January 2011, 05:38 PM
...... but you have to be careful not to let it catch on the buffing pad.. DAMHIKT. :rolleyes:

Ray - yeah - my cloth wheel is on an arbor cobbled-up from a 1/2" bolt & I occasionally let the wood touch the spinning nut while trying to work into the tricky bits. Usually means a bit of extra sanding to remove some dings... :~

My best trick is when buffing the brass nuts. I screw the nut on the bolt, then pinch behind it with my thumb & index finger to lock it as it is offered up to the wheel. But if I let it wander too far to the side, the wheel spins the nut off quicker than you can blink, and it becomes a minature frisby that can end up anywhere. It's no fun scratching around the shed trying to find your nuts....... :;

My Gidgee is not purple, but still VERY nice! I saw two chunks for sale and couldn't decide which was better - so I bought both! I much prefer to find, scrounge, or trade for bits of interesting wood, so I'm too embarassed to 'fess up to what these cost me, but with care, I have enough to last the rest of my life - if I eventually get around to making everything I have planned for it! :U

Cheers,

kevjed
6th January 2011, 07:03 PM
Hi Ian, Kev,

That Gidgee would be nice. Not purple is it, by any chance?

Now that's an idea....stain it purple, my little girl would love it. :U
No, the next few will be just plain old every day Gidgee with the Ringed stuff still drying for a bit.
I've just been in touch with Mike Wenzloff and he is about to send me some more of the Medallion nut sets. I hope to turn up a few sets during the year at work as I'm not too keen on buying things like the nut and bolts sets but time has been short of late.
All the best
Kevin

kevjed
9th January 2011, 05:45 PM
The next three will have to wait for a week as family duties call.
I'm waiting on some nut & screw sets for the next lot. The handles are roughly shaped and have the saw plate and brass backs fitted.
The little one with the gidgee handle is a re handled LN 14 ppi x-cut thin plate. I just didn't like it as a straight handled push saw so it got my most comfy handle that did the rounds 9 months ago.
Both the myrtle and blackwood handles need a fair bit more work which will be done once the sockets for the bolt nut pairs have been drilled.
More of an update in a week or so.
happy saw month
Kevin

kevjed
27th November 2012, 01:01 AM
I can't believe I have not made a saw in almost 18 months, ok so I've had other things to deal with.
So this arvo I decided I should have at it with one of the many saws that I have on the to do list.
So... This is not complete but I'm happy that the saw bug is still lurking within.
A 24" panel saw almost there. I will get on with it soon and finish several that I started a few years ago. 242428

Berlin
27th November 2012, 07:24 AM
Looks great :) What have you used for saw plate there? I just read a few of the earlier posts and see you were in the process of setting up a punch to form the teeth did you use that for this saw?

Very interesting.

Matt

IanW
27th November 2012, 07:52 AM
Looks great :) What have you used for saw plate there? I just read a few of the earlier posts and see you were in the process of setting up a punch to form the teeth did you use that for this saw?

Very interesting.

Matt

Yeah, man. What are the vital statistics (tpi? tooth profile? - any special uses in mind)?? Ya gotta feed this hungry audience. :U

There is definitely a place for these intermediate-sized saws, I reckon. The small ripsaw (350mm blade length) I made a few months ago is turning out to be an extremely useful little tool. With its finer teeth and small size it's the bees' knees for cutting small & thin pieces. Yesterday, I wanted to make a straight face on an awkward little lump of wood, so I could square it up. I could just hold it by one corner in the vise, and it would have been very difficult to use one of my regular ripsaws, but I was able to gently saw a nice clean cut with the little one. After 50 years, I'm still discovering tools I didn't know I can't live without. :;

I think you said it somewhere yourself, Kev - there seems to be no permanent recovery, once you have been bitten by the sawmaking bug. I'm in remission at the moment, but I know a recrudescence could occur any time...... :C

Cheers,

Berlin
27th November 2012, 10:14 AM
I think you said it somewhere yourself, Kev - there seems to be no permanent recovery, once you have been bitten by the sawmaking bug. I'm in remission at the moment, but I know a recrudescence could occur any time...... :C

Cheers,

I should have worn a mask, you've given the damn bug to me, Ian!

RayG
27th November 2012, 06:30 PM
Hi Kev,

Pleased to see that you've still got the gift. It's looking very good.

I'd also be interested what you've used for the saw plate and a few more details. :)

I think I can see traces of blue on the plate? Does that mean it's blued spring steel?

Regards
Ray

kevjed
27th November 2012, 10:48 PM
Hi Folks,
the saw above is 24" 9PTI XC steel sawplate i source form Mike Wenzloff a few years ago.
Here is a pic of the saw with a few of its XC buddies:
242550It is accompanied by 18" 10TPI XC half back saw and a 14" 12TPI XC half back that IanW made for me. You'll notice that Ian achieves a lovely finish with lots of attention to detail and little understated florishes. Something I hope to be able to emulate one day.
242551This lot has the twin 24" panel saw this time 7TPI rip, 16" 12TIP xc miter saw and a 9" 15TPI dovetail saw.
I need to get through these first as I have another 6-8 that were started a couple of years ago.

I hope to have these finished by Christmas as the will be my gift from my children.
I can't wait to finish teaching and getting some shed time with my kids.

When you look at my handles you will notice a pronounced little bump in the handle. It works nicely for me as the meaty part of my palm in the thumb area nestles right into this section and the tip of my ring finger has a full land to perch on. It just seems to work for my hand. I know it would annoy some but it works for me.