PDA

View Full Version : Omega Lathes?

hotrod100
31st July 2004, 11:52 PM
Hi Guy's
I came upon this site while cruising around on the web( as ya do) checking out thing's of interest, now I freely admit to being a newcomer to the world of woodturning, and I must admit I've never heard of OMEGA LATHES, however from the information given on there web site, these look damn fine machines, strong, heavy, but maybe a little expensive. :(
However I still can't understand as to why there name isnt up there with the big gun's, or the more popular brands (Vicmarc, Teknatool, etc)

So if anyone has one of these machines,or any information about them, I would value your opinion. :D
Thanks Rod http://www.omegastubbylathes.com/Front_Pagex.html

smidsy
1st August 2004, 06:36 PM
If you're a newcomer do you want to spend that sort of money on a lathe.
I would be looking at something like the MC900 - 900mm centres, 300mm swing (with a swivel head for bigger stuff) and a 3/4 horse motor.
This lathe will give you change from $400 which means plenty of money for chisels and stuff - and carbatec were doing this lathe with a scroll chuck for an extra $20. The chuck is only a chinese one but it works quite well and it comes complete with the thread insert which retails alone for than $20.

Do a search of this forum on the MC900 and you'll see it's one of the best lathes for the money.

Cheers
Smidsy

ptc
1st August 2004, 06:46 PM
Symtec for ever.
that's done it.
ptc

Tony Morton
1st August 2004, 10:29 PM
Hi Hotrod 100
I purchased a Omega Stubby about four years ago after trying a lot of others and the stubby was the only one I felt would suit my needs, I do mostly bowl platter and wall plaques burls and uneven natural edges. i like the variable speed feature it has plenty of power for my work ans the versatility of the moveable bed and second bed and banjo are very usefull .I tend to use the second bed at right angles to head stock and with banjo attached I can work on both faces of piece on the one mounting it also serves an a safety feature and keeps you away from the some times circular saw type pieces of timber being turned. The only down side so far that I have found is the controls are dificult to reach when such large pieces are being turned I believe that the newer models have aditional on off switches on a remote cable so you can place them at a convient location. as for the price mine cost 5700 the 1000 model was about 6700 i wish now that I had spent the extra then as now i dream of the 1000 ,the omega stubby was my forth lathe in some 30 years of turning I started with a Makita ran by 6mm drill it didnt last long.
I sugest if any one is looking for the ultimate lathe it hasent been built yet but we have a good range to choose from and to suit all levels and budgets.

cheers Tony

Jean Michel
2nd August 2004, 06:16 AM
G'day everyone,

Hotrod 100, have a good look at the Stubby 750 and 1000, this might be the last lathe you need to buy... If you already know you like woodturning and can afford the price you will never regret you buying that lathe. If you ever decide you want to sell your lathe, you will be surprised to see how much you will get for it...

I bought mine back in July 2002, recieved it on Nov. 27th 2002 and been a happy camper ever since... This was my 3rd lathe and probably the last. No regrets and imagine how much shipping I had to pay, I am in Canada! You will save a bundle on shipping.

I bought the 750 and if the 1000 had the same kind of base the 750 has I would probably have a 1000. The base on the 750 is the best for me, adjustable from low to very high height and out of your feet space...

Happy and safe woodturning,

rsser
3rd August 2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah, they're well known to prof turners here and overseas.

Suggest you pop down to the factory - Seaford from memory - and have a yarn about your interests. You can have one customised.

hotrod100
5th August 2004, 06:27 PM
Hi Guy's
Thank's for all the replies, I got in touch with the OMEGA factory re prices etc, WHOOOOOOooo a little too expensive for this guy's budget,the S1000 model comes on the market at $7700.00. So it look's like I'll be going with the VICMARC at nearly half the price, the Omega stubby does look a very nice machine though,( so I dont need to pop down to see them Rsser,but it would have been a good excuse to spend a couple of days away from "the ole lady", by the way got your email ok, on wood properties).
Thanks Rod :D

rsser
5th August 2004, 06:30 PM
Goodo.

Yeah, pricey lathes huh. Friend of mine was bent on buying a Vicmarc 175 til he went down to the factory. All I can say is lucky he's single!

Edward Tabachek
7th August 2004, 03:25 PM
Hello Turners
Does anyone have any info or experience with the Stubby Nugget - the smallest lathe in the line? I do mainly small precision turnings and I am looking for an accurate small lathe that I don't have to fiddle around with to get it to line up.

I have contacted all the North American dealers and Omega Engineering too; but came up dry. Dealers want to accept the money but ignore you when any work is involved.

Other smaller well built lathes I will consider are the 1224 Oneway and the VL100 Vicmarc with factory installed variable speed.
Thanks
Edward Tabachek
Winnipeg, Canada

Jean Michel
7th August 2004, 05:53 PM
G'day all,

The last time I sourced the Nugget, it was 3440AU$, Ouch! And it would still have to be sent to Canada, plus exchange plus taxes, It makes it completely out of range specially for a lathe this size... And I have to add... The exchange rate was much better than it is now ;-(

I was decieved too when I got the quote... I bought a Delta Midi Lathe, not the best but probably just about the price I would have paid to have the Nugget shipped to my place...

But, I LOVE my Stubby 750 though...

HTH,
Jean

ubeaut
7th August 2004, 07:13 PM
ptc - You probably won't get a rise out of anyone with the Symtec comment. Word is, they are no longer. Don't know how much truth there is to it, but they did fill a nitch in the market and will be missed especially by those who already have one and those who loved to knock them.

hotrod100
7th August 2004, 10:30 PM
Hi Guy's
Speaking of lathe's, what ever happened to WOODFAST lathe's, does anyone know if thay are still manufactured. :D
Rod

HansNL
13th September 2004, 11:17 AM
... I do mainly small precision turnings and I am looking for an accurate small lathe that I don't have to fiddle around with to get it to line up.
I have contacted all the North American dealers and Omega Engineering too; but came up dry. Dealers want to accept the money but ignore you when any work is involved.
Thanks
Edward Tabachek
Winnipeg, Canada
Hi Edward,

As you are looking far and wide for a small lathe this German lathe may be something for you: http://www.drechselzentrum.de/piccolo.html

I have not worked with the "Piccolo" myself but I can vouch for the quality of the German lathes, especially the ones that come from former Eastern Germany, like the WEMA that I regularly use. The whole area round the city of Olbernhau is woodturners- and woodcarversland.

At the end of the page you see:
"Preisliste <small class="pdfMarker">PDF:</small> Handdrechselbänke "piccolo" (http://www.drechselzentrum.de/pdf/steinert-piccolo03.pdf)"
Yes, you guessed it right, 8-), that is the pricelist.

By the way the Stubby lathes have a new importer/distributor in the USA. It is not John Jordan anymore, but Bill Rubenstein, though John will still sell the Stubbies.

Their websites
Bill Rubenstein: http://www.stubbylatheusa.com/cgi-bin/index.py
John Jordan: http://www.stubbylathe.com/introduction.html

Hope this helps,
HansNL
==========

Edward Tabachek
21st September 2004, 03:35 PM
HansNL:
Thanks for the link, Hans. I had a look at the Piccolo but I could not understand a word of text. Nice looking little lathe - did you see how the motor and belt housing swings away, to the rear, when you slide the headstock down the lathe bed. I don't expect there is a Canadian or US disributor for these machines.

I would still like to hear from anyone that has seen or used a Stubby Nugget lathe
Thanks
Edward

JackoH
21st September 2004, 03:56 PM
Hotrod. Woodfast alive and well still in Adelaide I believe.
Try this : http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/lathes/woodfast.html

gatiep
21st September 2004, 05:49 PM
John,

That is an American site. I havn't seen anything on Woodfast in Australia in ages. Last year some time Jim Carroll posted something on Woodfast, I asked him if they were still around. His reply was positive, yet I still havn't seen any other mention of them in other media.They did make some really nice lathes though.
Regards
Joe

HansNL
21st September 2004, 08:51 PM
HansNL:
... I had a look at the Piccolo but I could not understand a word of text...
I don't expect there is a Canadian or US disributor for these machines.

Hi Edward,

Later this year I am going to Germany to visit this company.
For now I've written to them and asked if they have a distributor in the USA and/or Canada.
If there's any news I'll post it here. :)

Best Regards,
HansNL
=========

HansNL
25th September 2004, 01:54 AM
Hi Edward and other turners of course,

Recently I recieved an answer from Rolf Steinert of the German company that produces the Piccolo mini lathe. They told me that they already exported that lathe to several European countries and even Indonesia.

They have not had time to produce an English language catalog but alle inquiries can be sent to his son who speaks good enough English. His email adress is:
[email protected]
Street adress
Steinert Drechseltechniek, Vertrieb Süd,
Hochstraße 2,
D-83064 Raubling,
Germany

They will send out the German catalog to anyplace as most of the pictures will be recognizable by woodturners.

When one would order a Piccolo there are some options as far as electrical installations are concerned. A 230V or a 400V Motor is possisble and if you have any special wishes just tell them and will certainly try to help you out.
There is even frequency converter available so you can vary the speed of the lathe continously.

Hope that this helps
Best Regards,
HansNL
=============

JackoH
25th September 2004, 09:15 AM
Sorry about that gatiep.
Try "Woodfast Machinery Co." 912 Port Rd.Woodville, Sth. Australia. 5011.(tel:08 8445 2708)
They don't appear to have a web site, but were there just over a year ago. ;)

gatiep
25th September 2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the info John.

:)