PDA

View Full Version : A Ken Wraight Signature Box

jefferson
14th September 2009, 06:32 PM
A week or so back I asked / imposed on Ken W to make me a box.

Ken accepted the commission, probably because of the reason for the request. (A dear lady friend of ours is in the last stages of bone cancer and is currently in the Peter Mac clinic).

We wanted a box for Cath to store her rings in at night. The only "instructions" I gave to WWW was that the box had to be fairly robust, given the hospital environment.

Ken and Helen showed us the box last Thursday night. Put simply, the box exceeded expectations tenfold. And the budget too, what a fellow.

I'd had a few drinks and forgot all the "arty" stuff Ken was telling me. :rolleyes: But I do remember that the box is red mallee burl, with ancient kanooka rings, base / stem and finials.

We took the piece down to Phillip Island. All we needed was a name for the box. (One of the ladies suggested I keep the box and send Cath one of my own novice boxes!)

The best we came up with was Saturn Rising - thanks Jim Carroll for that.

If anyone has something better, please let me know ASAP. I'm sending the piece registered mail (clearly marked FRAGILE) tomorrow. Cath will like the surprise. :)

Notice the three stems for stability, I would never have thought of it. And no pointy finials for tender hands. I say no more.

PS Thanks for all the friendship, support and fellowship by all at PI. Back again next year. :2tsup:

tea lady
14th September 2009, 06:46 PM
Gorgeous! :U

Mulgabill
14th September 2009, 08:44 PM
:omg:Well done KenW . What a great gift Jefferson.

dai sensei
14th September 2009, 09:06 PM
Certainly a beautiful piece :2tsup:.

artme
14th September 2009, 10:30 PM
Classic Kw and a very nice thought by you Jefferson to have it made.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

bookend
15th September 2009, 03:26 AM
Notice the three stems for stability, I would never have thought of it.

I like the idea. How are they attached to the box rim? I can't work it out from the pictures.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2009, 04:30 AM
Ken's work is often too... "delicate" for me to try to copy. I like his ideas, but there's no way they translate into my style of hackishness. :B

I've finally found an exception... I think. So, finally I can say to Ken: "Idea pinched!" :U

Rum Pig
15th September 2009, 09:04 AM
WOW his work is really something to inspire too WOW:2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
15th September 2009, 10:04 AM
Sensational :oo:

I disagree with Skew - no way I could copy that one!!!

I know it's a ring box, but what dimensions are the box?

Cheers,
Dave

steck
15th September 2009, 10:16 AM
That is simply Sensational!

Texian
15th September 2009, 11:42 AM
A very beautiful piece indeed, but "fairly robust"?

KenW
15th September 2009, 11:47 AM
I like the idea. How are they attached to the box rim? I can't work it out from the pictures.
Each end of the three columns are turned down to a 2mm spigot. The top spigot passes through a 2mm hole in the rim and fits into a 2mm hole in the small finials.

Sensational :oo:

I know it's a ring box, but what dimensions are the box?

Cheers,
Dave
The box is 140mm dia and 240mm high to top of finial

Ed Reiss
15th September 2009, 11:48 AM
Very impressive work by Ken W :2tsup:

Very thoughtful gift by Jeff...and thanks for sharing the pics with us. :2tsup:

KenW
15th September 2009, 11:52 AM
A very beautiful piece indeed, but "fairly robust"?
I don't remember "fairly robust" being in the instructions. I do remember that the box was to be "something special". Jeff shold know better than to leave the design to me.

Texian
15th September 2009, 11:59 AM
Ken, It is most assuredly "something special".

jefferson
15th September 2009, 02:40 PM
I don't remember "fairly robust" being in the instructions. I do remember that the box was to be "something special". Jeff shold know better than to leave the design to me.

Alright, I may not have explicitly said the word "robust". But I did warn that an overly delicate piece might topple over easily if a nurse bumped it (or something like that). Impliedly, I was expecting a "simple" elegant WWW box. But no, that was no challenge for Ken, was it? :D

The base idea with the three stems gives the box more stability, which is well-suited to the place it's likely to sit for a while. But it's certainly not "base heavy", either in your hands or visually. :2tsup:

Thanks again, Ken. Saturn Rising it is. I have no idea of how many days it took to plan, design and execute. Just finding the wood in your "one-way traffic only" workshop must have taken 4 hours at least. :p

TTIT
15th September 2009, 11:10 PM
Exceptional piece Ken :2tsup: As Skew said, "idea pinched".:B

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2009, 11:23 PM

I think you've got me wrong... I don't "copy" any-one's work. :no: Nor do I have the skills to successfully copy this 'un.

But I do pinch concepts & ideas, let them stew over in the ol' noggin and then come up with my rustic "two sticks, some wire and a BIG hammer" version. :;

jefferson
15th September 2009, 11:39 PM
I spoke with the Weird and Wonderful tonight.

The box has a final name. It's Mercury Rising.

I will (reluctantly) re-pack the piece in a box tonight and say farewell to it in the morning. Alas, I will now have only one piece with the W signed on the base in my collection....

But I did get some nice pieces at the auction down at Phillip Island.

And Cath needs it more than I do.

As for copying Ken's work...... I've tried and failed maybe 5 times to do one of his 1/2 hour demo boxes..... I'm still trying. :B

And for those that have never seen Ken demo, get along to the next one. His work is one thing, but he is also a great educator. The bugger talks and turns at the same time - I don't know how he does it.

Ed - you guys in the States don't know what you are missing out on. :D

steck
16th September 2009, 10:56 AM
And for those that have never seen Ken demo, get along to the next one. His work is one thing, but he is also a great educator. The bugger talks and turns at the same time - I don't know how he does it.
:D

Does anyone know where Ken will be demonstrating?

Ed Reiss
16th September 2009, 12:06 PM

Ed - you guys in the States don't know what you are missing out on. :D

With Ken's permission, perhaps someone could record one of his demo's and post it on YouTube :U

jefferson
16th September 2009, 12:37 PM
I'll talk with Ken about it. (Or he can respond himself!)

I have some of Ken's DVDs on loan from some of his club demos. The Peninsula Woodturning Guild ones are superb. The whole audience-interaction thing sets it apart from the standard voice-over DVDs.

Ken is busy at the moment too, so I'll try not to annoy him too much. He probably has a Cinderalla's Carriage type project lurking somewhere in that strange mind of his. :wink:

Grumpy John
16th September 2009, 07:32 PM

He might be at 's on the 10th October for the next turn thingy :D. PM or Ken to find out.

jefferson
16th September 2009, 08:55 PM
I'll answer for Ken W on this one.

He's having some health work done earlier in the week prior to the turn-on at 's on the 10th. So he won't be turning or demonstrating.

I will however be doing a demo with Calm on the esc. chuck. If Ken is there, he can explain where I go wrong! Or I might do the voice-over, as Calm and maybe turn (mostly air).

No doubt by then I will have had a fright or two when I try to use the off-centre chuck for the first time! :oo:

For those who passed up on the sharpening weekend down at 's place last time, you missed the Dynamic Duo in action. I reckon it was worth quite a few hundred (each), so all those close to Melbourne should make the most of their generosity next time.

I've forgotten half of it, but last time led the way on the theory and practice of sharpening chisels. And he should know, pro turner that he is. He also showed a few of us how to be truly aggressive (and safe) on a bowl.

Ken did at least two impromtu demos - one a lidded finial box from dead finish, the other a "quickie" on turning a lace bobbin.

Plus a whole lot more...... :2tsup:

We are very fortunate down here in Victoria - and the forum get-together is always good, irrespective of the agenda.

KenW
16th September 2009, 09:14 PM
The next demo that I am doing is the weekend after next, at Griffith.
As Jeff has already said, I don't know if I will be able to demo at Robbos, up to the doctor. After that, the next will be North Queensland followed by the hands on show at Brisbane. Sharpening only at this one.

KenW
16th September 2009, 09:44 PM
Ken's work is often too... "delicate" for me to try to copy. I like his ideas, but there's no way they translate into my style of hackishness. :B

I've finally found an exception... I think. So, finally I can say to Ken: "Idea pinched!" :U

Exceptional piece Ken :2tsup: As Skew said, "idea pinched".:B
I don't mind if you have a go at my designs, just post the end results.

jefferson
16th September 2009, 10:27 PM
I don't mind if you have a go at my designs, just post the end results.

I've already tried 4 or 5 times to copy one of your "simple" boxes, Ken.

No pictures to post, unless you want pics of some charcoal. :p

Gil Jones
17th September 2009, 10:11 AM
Wow, that lidded box is a true beauty!!
Your friend is sure to love it.

jefferson
18th September 2009, 12:57 AM
Cath got her little box today. She's out of Peter Mac for a while.

She loved it.

Somehow, I don't think it's leaving their house.

The hubby, Geoff, asked me about the wood. Geez..... Doesn't everyone know about Ancient Kanooka???

Ken W, thank you very much. A very special gift from a very gifted turner. :):):)