PDA

View Full Version : Bowls 2 & 3

corbs
14th September 2009, 10:03 PM
I picked up a VM100 and bowl jaws at the Canberra wood show so can finish the base on my bowls now:D... got the insert in the mail today (ran out of M30's at the show) so headed out to the shed this afternoon and finished these two off. Camphor & Sheoak finished with EEE and Glow. Early days in my bowl turning so any criticism/comments are appreciated... I'm here to learn:;

Corbs

artme
14th September 2009, 10:27 PM
You've nailed those two Corbs.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Simple clean lines and beautifully finished.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2009, 04:44 AM
:whs:

The simple forms show the timber off to best advantage. Nice!

Tony Morton
15th September 2009, 08:57 AM
Hi Corbs

Clean simple lines well done these clasic shaped bowls can be either good or bad there is no inbetween yours is certainly in the well done class.

Cheers Tony

Rum Pig
15th September 2009, 09:01 AM
:wts:

Very nice I can see you will not be making as many pens any more:D

Jim Carroll
15th September 2009, 09:53 AM
Nice work Andrew.
Not a big fan of the shape of the first one, what we call a brake drum, second one is more pleasing to the eye.:2tsup:

Ozkaban
15th September 2009, 10:02 AM
Look great :2tsup:

Love the grain in the sheoak piece in the fourth photo. Just spectacular the way it wraps around the base of the bowl.

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
15th September 2009, 11:54 AM
:wts: :2tsup:

It may just appear that way in the pics, but the rim(s) seem to fall away to the outside of the bowl. The overall shape would benefit from either a level rim or slanted toward the inside a bit.

corbs
15th September 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys... the rims are flat but so I guess my photography let me down there:wink:... will avoid turning more brake drums though from now on:D

I have two lathes now so should still be able to keep up with the pen turning, just will have a lump of wood on the other lathe as well now:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
15th September 2009, 07:39 PM
Hello Corbs
Yep I agree with Jim Carrols comments regarding the shape of the camphor bowl, but given that these are some of your first bowls, you should be very pleased. The second bowl, the Sheoak is excellent well done. Awesome grain and the finish you have used really shows it off.
Might I suggest that you do not date your pieces...? Up to you.
I too, enjoy having two lathes as it means I can wait for glue or a finish to dry on one whilst I work on the other.

funkychicken
15th September 2009, 07:40 PM
Noice! What sheoak is it?

corbs
15th September 2009, 10:12 PM
Noice! What sheoak is it?

ummmmm???? round :doh: I bought it at the local wood show and it was labelled as Sheoak.

Willy, any particular reason behind not dating them? I was thinking that I would be able to trace where I came from but then I guess if you're selling then its pretty obvious how long a bowl has been sitting on the shelf for:roll:

Corbs

Willy Nelson
16th September 2009, 11:04 PM
Willy, any particular reason behind not dating them? I was thinking that I would be able to trace where I came from but then I guess if you're selling then its pretty obvious how long a bowl has been sitting on the shelf for

PM sent

Paul39
17th September 2009, 01:27 AM
I too am interested in discussion about advantages and disadvantages of dating or numbering finished pieces.

ss_11000
17th September 2009, 01:33 AM
Nice work Corbs!

Farnk
17th September 2009, 01:58 PM
:2tsup:Good work mate!
As above, Your choice to keep the forms simple and let the grain show itself off has worked out well. That sheoak grain is beautiful!

Re 'Brake Drums', I reckon that while the form may not be that visually dynamic, the end result is certainly functional! Isn't the whole purpose of a bowl to hold things?