PDA

View Full Version : Carrying chisels

smidsy
1st August 2004, 06:48 PM
Hei Guys,
Anyone got any ideas on carting chisels around - I go to a woodturning group once a week which means carting my chisels around.
I've got one of the carbatec HSS chisel sets which has a carry case, but I now have two other chisels which don't fit in the case.
I thought about a cloth roll type thing but having the chisel heads clanging together does not really appeal to me.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Smidsy

Shane Watson
1st August 2004, 06:58 PM
The roll type work very well for Chefs, so theres no reason why it couldn't be adapted to work well for turing chisels as well. :D

RETIRED
1st August 2004, 07:49 PM
Most use a partitioned canvas roll.

If I remember I will take a pic tomorrow.

journeyman Mick
1st August 2004, 10:52 PM
I'm a carpenter, not a turner but I keep all my (better) chisels in a leather roll. I'm not sure if you can get leather rolls large enough for turning chisels but if you can and you decide to use one, here's a tip. Wash it out thoroughly before use in several changes of fresh water, dry it and soak it in neatsfoot oil. I used mine as it came and the residues of whatever they use to tan the leather caused my chisels to rust overnight :mad: . Initially I just oiled it but it didn't solve the problem and it wasn't until I washed it thoroughly that the chisels stopped rusting. You would expect a bit better from a $30+ dollar roll (this was about 15 years ago too, wonder how much they cost now?)

Mick

DavidG
1st August 2004, 11:00 PM
A bucket full of bits of plastic pipe just large enough to take the tool (38 - 50mm) and long enough so the tool does not want to fall out. Stuff a bit of oily rag in the botton to protect the cutting edge.

Ankali
2nd August 2004, 05:18 PM
I use a large plastic bucket (the sort that cafes, etc get mayonnaise??? in - well washed) with a wooden disc that fits about 2" below the rim (the buckets are slightly tapered) with suitable size holes cut in the disc. I have some old print mount board (softish thick cardboard stuff) in the bottom to protect the edges of those that reach the bottom.

Ankali

LineLefty
2nd August 2004, 05:50 PM
The still warm body of an enemy is always good.

Sorry, been reading too many fantasy books :o

DavidG
2nd August 2004, 07:27 PM
LineLefty
No good. The salt in the blood causes the tools to rust.
Let the body dry out for a while.

smidsy
2nd August 2004, 07:40 PM
I am fussy about my chisels, I wouldn't store them in the body of an enemy - a friend maybe but not an enemy.
Cheers
Paul

Ivan in Oz
2nd August 2004, 08:07 PM
LineLefty
No good. The salt in the blood causes the tools to rust.
Let the body dry out for a while.

DavidG,
Better if they're a fat, Obese Porker.
save oiling the blades..............
Me?
I'm so skinny, i could..............mmmmmmm????
Rust the chisel no worries.

Hey, LineLefty, you read any Matthew REILLY?
www.matthewreilly.com

Count

LineLefty
3rd August 2004, 10:52 AM
Nope, I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin.

By far the most engrossing series I've ever read. Not exactly feel good bubblegum though :)

So.............when I embed chisel in the palm of my hand, the first thing I should do is wash the blood off and oil it (maybe give it a bit of a sharpen), THEN call SWMBO to take me to the emergency room??

rsser
3rd August 2004, 05:25 PM
Being a tad on the anal-retentive side, I keep the placcie envelopes or tubes the chisels come in and re-use those. Otherwise, heavy snap-lock bags wrapped around the end. And the lot laid flat in a box.

TassieKiwi
3rd August 2004, 05:35 PM
What about a flash wooden case? (another weekend gone) Or buy a cheap briefcase and fit it out with high density foam? Have to get a pinstripe suit too though.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Don Nethercott
3rd August 2004, 09:53 PM
Make a folding wooden case, each half having compartments for your chisels. When at home hang the case open on the wall (a couple of eyelets screwed into the top), and fold up and lock with a clasp to carry to the group. Each compartment would be separated from the other by a piece of MBF approx 3mm by 3 to 5 mm and the height of the box. A layer of foam or felt at the top to protect the sharp ends. Frame could be pine with ply or masonite backing. A bar across the front of each piece about 1/3 way up stops the chisels falling out when open. Make sure case is high enough to lift your longest chisel out over the bar.

I saw this at the college where I did my evening course. Sat on the bench open at an angle during the course, and folded up and locked away when finished.

Means a bit of work but serves a triple purpose - is sturdy, protects the chisels, and most of all protects you (they won't slide out and land through your shoe).

Good luck,
Don

Cliff Rogers
4th August 2004, 12:46 AM
G'day.

I made a stack of wooden trays a bit like inserts for cutlery draws.
They are fitted so that they stack neatly inside a large metal tool box
from Supercheap for storeage & transport.
When I'm using them, I take the trays out & stand them up against the wall.

I'll take some pics next weekend.

Kev Y.
4th August 2004, 10:12 PM
I use a large plastic tub, purchased from the local "donut King" with two pieces of styrene foam in the base to protect the cutting surfaces.

Kev :) :rolleyes: ;) (someone changed the smilies again!!!!)