PDA

View Full Version : New riddle

Pages : [1] 2

duckman
1st August 2004, 09:06 PM
Things are getting a little dull around here, me thinks, so here is an easy riddle to get brains back into gear. :)

I have feathers, but not wings.
I can fly, but not walk.

What am I?

Barry_White
1st August 2004, 09:12 PM
A Shuttlecock

outback
1st August 2004, 09:15 PM
A hole!

Ivan in Oz
1st August 2004, 09:29 PM
OUTBACK

Whoa up........................wrong joke.

Where were you headed :o :o :o

Count

duckman
1st August 2004, 09:40 PM
A hole!
:p :p :p :p :D :D

duckman
1st August 2004, 09:41 PM
A Shuttlecock

Yep, that'll do. I would have accepted "arrow" also. :)

Well done BW.
:cool:

Barry_White
2nd August 2004, 10:44 AM
What is about 6in long, sometimes red, has hair on one end and a hole on the other end, sometimes has white stuff on it, sometimes hard and sometimes flexible.

Tristan Croll
2nd August 2004, 12:48 PM
A paintbrush?

Barry_White
2nd August 2004, 05:29 PM
I'll pay that one but I was thinking of a toothbrush. But probably all the deviots were thinking of something else.

duckman
2nd August 2004, 05:37 PM
I'm glad Outback didn't get hold of that one.

I hate to think what he might have done with it. :D :D :D

Tristan Croll
2nd August 2004, 05:56 PM
Ok, how about this one:

What row of numbers comes next?

hexbaz
2nd August 2004, 07:06 PM
I have seen this before - each line 'describes' the previous line (if you read it out loud, it becomes obvious) .. line two says that the first line has "one 1" and line 3 says line two has "two 1s", etc.... So the next line, which is describing

13112221 is

(I think) ... Well, the principal is correct anyway!

Tristan Croll
3rd August 2004, 12:13 PM
Absolutely correct. Your turn!

hexbaz
4th August 2004, 03:51 AM
OK - but bear in mind the time difference! I will probably be off line when the correct answer is given so feel free to ask more riddles.

Two clocks were correct at midnight but then one began to gain four minutes every hour. It stopped one and a half hours ago showing 4:48 pm. The clocks run for less than 24 hours.
What time will the other clock be showing ?

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 03:58 AM
S..t maths was my worst subject at school and to make matters worse my brother is a maths teacher.

Okay.... stab in the dark.....03:44 hours

Martin

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 04:05 AM
Hang on...make that 03:47 and 12 seconds.

Bugger.....that bldi maths teacher was right when he said I had no future in maths!!!!

hexbaz
4th August 2004, 04:18 AM
Yeah - tricky ain't it. Can be done though. Judging by the times provided by kiwigeo, it seems that you might be reading the question wrong, rather than being rough at maths!

Just to point you in the right direction, it was the one that stopped which had been gaining. Also, the answer I'm looking for, is the time that the other (correct, still running) clock is showing now (1.5 hours later).

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 04:27 AM
Okay okay..I thtink Ive got it (typing amidst a pile of screwed up bits of paper and worn out batteries from the HP41)

04:29 and thats my last offer.

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 04:30 AM
Yeah - tricky ain't it. Can be done though. Judging by the times provided by kiwigeo, it seems that you might be reading the question wrong, rather than being rough at maths!

Just to point you in the right direction, it was the one that stopped which had been gaining. Also, the answer I'm looking for, is the time that the other (correct, still running) clock is showing now (1.5 hours later).
No its definitely the maths.....had a first year maths teacher when I was 16 and he managed to destroy my enthusiasm in maths.

I mentioned my brother being a teacher.....the little so and so went teaching on his first assignment at the same school we went to as students....and became good buddies with my old teacher. :(

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 04:35 AM
Okay I see whats going wrong here....thought the clock was running slow.

Too early in the day to be doing this sort of stuff....should be working anyway.

hexbaz
4th August 2004, 04:44 AM
Okay okay..I thtink Ive got it (typing amidst a pile of screwed up bits of paper and worn out batteries from the HP41)

04:29 and thats my last offer.Well I bet the correct answer is on one of those bits of paper!

I will say one last 'clue' ... Each of your answers is moving in the right direction!

If the clock that stopped was correct, the time now would be 6:18 (1.5 hours later). As it was gaining, the true time will be earlier than that, but not quite as early as your tries! :D

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 04:45 AM
04:30 hours.......

Im gonna kill my brother...and that bldi maths teacher

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 04:50 AM
OK - but bear in mind the time difference! I will probably be off line when the correct answer is given so feel free to ask more riddles.

Two clocks were correct at midnight but then one began to gain four minutes every hour. It stopped one and a half hours ago showing 4:48 pm. The clocks run for less than 24 hours.
What time will the other clock be showing ?
Im not reading this right..

Okay....step by step and slow deep breaths

1. Two clocks....Clock A and B
2. Clock A and B read same time at midnight.
3. Clock B gains 4 minutes every hour cf with Clock A.
4. Clock B stops showing 04:48. ie it has run for 4 hours and 48 minutes.
5. Clock B stopped 1.5 hours ago <====== this I dont understand. 1.5 hours relative to what time?
6. Clocks run for less than 24 hours.

Is this correct?

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 04:52 AM
The clock thats still running (and showing correct time) will be showing what ever time it is right now.

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 04:57 AM
The clock thats still running (and showing correct time) will be showing what ever time it is right now.

simon c
4th August 2004, 09:34 AM
5:15 pm

Tristan Croll
4th August 2004, 10:28 AM
3:40:48 pm

hexbaz
4th August 2004, 11:21 AM
5:15 pm... is the right answer!

Your turn, simon c

Eastie
4th August 2004, 01:00 PM
Whilst eagerly awaiting a brain teaser from Simon C, I thought I’d throw this one in the mix to keep your grey matter active.

"You are walking towards a town when you come to a fork in the road. You do not know if the town is left or right. You decide to ask some people in the houses along the way. Nobody knows but they tell you there are twins in a house across the road that know. However one of them always lies and one always tells the truth. You don not know which one is going to answer the door. You may only ask one question.(Not one to each twin) What do you ask and which way do you go?"

(ps feel free to cut in with a new question Simon ! I hope I don’t get attacked by the ‘not your turn nazi’s’)

silentC
4th August 2004, 01:15 PM
You say to either of the twins, "which road would he say", pointing to the other twin. Whatever that twin says, choose the opposite.

Eastie
4th August 2004, 01:19 PM
heard that one before Silent?

LineLefty
4th August 2004, 01:20 PM
OK think I've got it.

You'd ask

"What direction would your twin tell me to go?"

Assuming you ask T1 that question, he's telling you what T2 would say.
Assume that T1 says "T2 would tell you to go east"

If T1 is honest then T2 Would tell you to go east but it would be a lie, so go west.

IF T1 is a liar then he'll tell T2 would really tell you to go west, which would be the truth. So go west. Life is peaceful there.

silentC
4th August 2004, 01:21 PM
Nah, I'm just rooly clever :cool:

OK, it was on an episode of Doctor Who (Tom Baker days). Only when he went through the opposite door, he got zapped, so it just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you see on TV :eek:

LineLefty
4th August 2004, 01:22 PM
Damnit! I spent too long writing the answer!

silentC
4th August 2004, 01:22 PM
Bit of a time delay 'tween here and Perth today? :D

LineLefty
4th August 2004, 01:34 PM
Must be, but I swear on....something.....that I worked that oen out from first principles, So I'll post the next one:

What is the opposite of "if"?

silentC
4th August 2004, 01:46 PM
Well, I know it's not 'presumptuous' ;)

Ivan in Oz
4th August 2004, 01:50 PM
When

LineLefty
4th August 2004, 01:51 PM
incorrect

silentC
4th August 2004, 01:54 PM
Logically speaking, the opposite of 'if' is an assertion, so are you looking for 'because' or 'is'?

LineLefty
4th August 2004, 02:05 PM
Nope

A clue

The dogs will be bark constantly IF they're inside.

IF I go there, I'm dead.

Te answer has been the subject of some literary debate becasue of the exceptons such as "What IF I do?

Driver
4th August 2004, 02:07 PM
Although?

LineLefty
4th August 2004, 02:10 PM
Close

Driver
4th August 2004, 02:13 PM
Unless?

journeyman Mick
"If not"?

Mick

LineLefty
Correctamundo!

simon c
4th August 2004, 09:37 PM
OK

I put my answer in in and switched the 'puter off, I must have felt confident.

Appears to be my turn for a puzzle. Well, I've got a long list so I'll crank em out:

You have 2 pieces of string. They are different lengths and varying thicknesses but have 1 thing in common, they both take exactly 1 hour to burn. Using just the two pieces od string and a box of matches, how do you time 45 minutes. Note, as the string thickness varies, you can't assume that after 30 mins the string will be half their length or anything like that.

I like this one, so if you've already heard it then let the others have a chance.

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 09:41 PM
... is the right answer!

Your turn, simon c
Time...time!!????

Ill tell you what ******ng time it is...time for alcohol in large quantities.

Oh yeah.......just after I typed my last pathetic attempt at solving the time riddle my bldi watch stopped working!!!

RETIRED
4th August 2004, 09:51 PM
how do you time 45 minutes.

I would use a stopwatch. ;)

hexbaz
4th August 2004, 09:54 PM
If you light both ends of one and one end of the other and allow them all to burn until the burning ends meet, that should be 30 minutes.

Now the second string (which you only lit one end of) has also burned for 30 minutes, so there is 30 minutes of burn time remaining.

So, you light the other end of the second string as soon as the ends meet on the first... The point where the burning ends meet on the second string will be 15 minutes... Total time will be 45 minutes.

There are probably other ways to do it?

simon c
4th August 2004, 09:56 PM
pretty good hexbaz

back to you

hexbaz
4th August 2004, 10:05 PM
... back to youI am tied up at the minute - you said you had a long list. How about doing another of yours?

simon c
4th August 2004, 10:06 PM
But in the meantime, here's a quick one.

Two brothers were born on the same day of the same year from the same parents but they are not twins. How come?

AlexS
4th August 2004, 10:23 PM
would they be 2/3 of triplets?

simon c
4th August 2004, 10:28 PM
yep

over to you

simon c
4th August 2004, 10:41 PM
But in the meantime:

in a room are three light globes labeled 1,2 & 3 they are all off
in the next room are three switches labeled A,B & C
each switch controls one light
you can't see the globes from the switches or vice versa
you can flick any of the switches but then you must go into the next room and say which switch operates which light
how do you do it?

AlexS
4th August 2004, 10:43 PM
haven't got one in mind at the moment - back to you SimonC or Hexbaz

journeyman Mick
4th August 2004, 11:03 PM
Switch one light on for a minute and then turn it off, switch a second light on and leave it, don't touch the third. Go to other room, bulb that's hot but not burning was #1, lit bulb is #2, cold dark bulb is #3.

Mick-who's too itchy to think of any clever questions :(

simon c
4th August 2004, 11:07 PM
Nice one Mick

That's me for the night - I might come back with more in a new thread later this week

kiwigeo
4th August 2004, 11:13 PM
Okay...enough of this Professor Brainstorm mathie stuff...lets move onto more important matters.

Can someone tell me the occupation of Bon Jovi's father?

P.S. Winner gets a schooner of port

simon c
4th August 2004, 11:23 PM
Probably something appropriate (otherwise you wouldn't have asked):

rock band manager
music producer
hair dresser

Tristan Croll
5th August 2004, 11:44 AM
John Bongiovi, hairdresser.

duckman
5th August 2004, 06:35 PM
Who is Bon Jovi ?

Was he or she at Monterey, Woodstock or even Sunbury? :)

outback
5th August 2004, 07:09 PM
Hey duck boy, I believe Bon Jovi digs holes for a living, at holey holeston in the district of Holesworthy. He's lived there his hole life, which has been a depressing pothole of an existence.
Whilst trying to leave this hell hole once, he slipped in an unseen hole, you might say hidden, he was taken back to his rat hole of a home, sucked back into the black hole holey holeston This maybe a hole lot of rubbish which can't be holey hidden in a holesome hole! :D

duckman
5th August 2004, 08:58 PM
Hey duck boy, I believe Bon Jovi digs holes for a living, at holey holeston in the district of Holesworthy. He's lived there his hole life, which has been a depressing pothole of an existence.
Whilst trying to leave this hell hole once, he slipped in an unseen hole, you might say hidden, he was taken back to his rat hole of a home, sucked back into the black hole holey holeston This maybe a hole lot of rubbish which can't be holey hidden in a holesome hole! :D

'backtofront' to quack me up!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

kiwigeo
5th August 2004, 09:47 PM
John Bongiovi, hairdresser.
Good call.....the schooner of port is yours.

Kris.Parker1
6th August 2004, 01:03 AM
Well, well, well. (three holes in the ground - get it... ha ha ha.. ha ha.. ahem). Dont blame me it's late!

A cabin lies at the center of a field. There are no roads leading to the cabin. There are four fences surrounding the cabin - none with gates. The cabin has been burnt on the inside and there are six bodies inside. How did the people die?

There are clues. For those of you who know this one, please let it run for a couple of replies at least then impress everyone with you knowledge.

Cheers

Kris

P.S. The six bodies are all burnt, yet none were killed by fire!

Tristan Croll
6th August 2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not likely to be in Adelaide any time soon...

Ivan in Oz
6th August 2004, 10:40 AM
Asphxyation
Asphixiation
Asphyxiation..is that correct?

Both Spelling and answer.

Count

journeyman Mick
6th August 2004, 10:41 AM
Is the cabin an aircraft cabin? If so they died from impact and then were burnt. No, I didn't know this one but I remember teachers giving us these as "lateral thinking" exercises, however I suspect it was mainly because it was end of term and they hadn't prepared any lessons.

Mick

Kris.Parker1
6th August 2004, 12:56 PM
Yep thats right spot on. There was a major malfunction in the plane causing a sudden decrease in cabin pressure thus resulting in the pilots losing consciousness. They didn't die in the impact they all died at the sudden stop at the end.

Kris.Parker1
3rd September 2004, 05:34 PM
What is the only thing in the world that when it emits a sound it does not echo?

Clue - it is a living thing; however, it is not static (it also only has two legs)...

simon c
3rd September 2004, 05:55 PM
Sorry Kris, but it's a myth that a duck's quack doesn't echo. Everything echos, it's just hard to hear a duck's quack because it is a long drawn out sound.

Simon

duckman
3rd September 2004, 06:15 PM
Sorry Kris, but it's a myth that a duck's quack doesn't echo. Everything echos, it's just hard to hear a duck's quack because it is a long drawn out sound.

Simon

Hang on and I'll put your theory to the test.

( a minute or so later...)

Yep! Simon is right, Kris. A duck's quack does echo.. :D :D :D

simon c
8th September 2004, 06:33 PM
OK a new riddle

Two friends each stand on the 40th floor of a building, one in London and one in New York. The buildings are constructed from a similar design so the height of each floor in the each buiding is the same. They both drop a tennis ball out of the window at exactly the same time.

Who's tennis ball hits the ground first?

Tristan Croll
8th September 2004, 06:42 PM
The one in New York. British floor numbers go G-1-2... while American floor numbers start from 1, so the New York ball is actually being dropped from a floor lower than the London one.

simon c
8th September 2004, 06:50 PM
very good, your turn

Tristan Croll
8th September 2004, 06:51 PM
You are in a spaceship trying to dock with an orbiting satellite. It is in a lower orbit than you, ahead and moving past quickly. What is the most efficient way to catch up with it (without waiting for it to come around again)?

echnidna
8th September 2004, 07:17 PM
fart very strongly

Tristan Croll
9th September 2004, 11:33 AM
In which direction?

Bob Willson
9th September 2004, 02:59 PM
Drop to a lower orbit

Tristan Croll
9th September 2004, 03:09 PM
A little more detail, please? (i.e. in which direction do you fire your rockets? Hint: two steps are required)

Edit: Extra Hint - I consider this to be a riddle because the answer is completely non-intuitive...

Bob Willson
9th September 2004, 03:43 PM
As I have some maneuvering thrusters mounted on the bow of my spaceship. :D I would make the first thrust towards the earth. This would tip the pointy bit of my spaceship towards the earth and I could then fire my rear bits

outback
9th September 2004, 03:47 PM
Lucky Bob, you must have the new model, most of us are stuck without the front boosrers on our spaceships, so to get the front down we all gotta run right up the front and tip it, this is pretty well useless in zero gravity though.

Tristan Croll
9th September 2004, 04:50 PM
One way to do it, but remember you have to stop again at the other end! Another big hint: even though it's moving past you, you're currently moving faster than the lower satellite!

Driver
9th September 2004, 05:02 PM
Polish your thrusters. A useful product for this application is Max Factor Knacker Lacquer. As most people know, it adds a lustre to your thruster.

craigb
9th September 2004, 05:06 PM
Ask the computer to do it.

"Dock with that satellite HAL"

That should work. Unless of course it's having a nervous breakdown :eek:

Tristan Croll
9th September 2004, 05:06 PM
:D

Tristan Croll
10th September 2004, 01:57 PM
No takers? The way to catch up with the satellite is, funnily enough, to decelerate. This drops you to a lower orbit with a faster rotation rate, allowing you to overtake the satellite. Once you're past it, you then need to accelerate, reducing your rotation rate and allowing the satellite to catch up to you. Strange but true.

A real riddle:

How many letters does the correct answer to this question contain?

Bob Willson
10th September 2004, 05:10 PM

Kris.Parker1
10th September 2004, 05:23 PM
At first glance I would have to say 30; however, to be more technical I would have to say six (the word thirty has six letter the number 30 has two numbers. Hmmmn. I wait with baited breath for the answer to this one...

echnidna
10th September 2004, 05:48 PM
And it is as relevant as the diameter of the hole in a lifesaver

Tristan Croll
10th September 2004, 05:49 PM
While Bob's answer is technically entirely correct, there is another, less obvious answer that I was after...

outback
10th September 2004, 08:39 PM

AlexS
10th September 2004, 08:40 PM
None - it only contains numbers ?

Bob Willson
10th September 2004, 08:57 PM
The correct answer is "A post box." The number of letters contained in the box is unable to be acsertained without opening the box and counting the letters.

OR

simon c
11th September 2004, 10:18 AM
A real riddle:

Four, because the word four has four letters

gemi_babe
11th September 2004, 08:23 PM
I must be really dumb cause I don't see how the answer could be possible and make sense:confused:

simon c
12th September 2004, 09:30 AM
Gemi,

not had it confirmed that I am right but I feel pretty confident that it is four.

The question is:

So the correct answer is a number that has the same number of letters as the number itself so:
one has 3 letters
two has 3 letters
three has 5 letters
four has 4 letters
five has 4 letters
six has 3 letters
etc

So the answer is four

Bob Willson
12th September 2004, 12:02 PM
The question is:

So the correct answer is a number that has the same number of letters as the number itself so:
It requires quite a leap of logic to say that the correct answer is a number that has the same number of letters as the number itself. I, along with the beautiful dancer, :) cannot follow that line of reasoning.