PDA

View Full Version : Dog problems.

burraboy
17th September 2009, 07:44 AM
I'm sure anyone who keeps animals on a rural block will have these problems eventually, and we've just had our most recent episode. The problem, as usual, results from dog owners who won't control their animals, in this case our neighbours who let their two kelpies run free. They linked up with another dog and got stuck into our Boers, killing the buck. Unfortunately I was out when the attack occurred but the dogs were well identified by other neighbours who had problems as well. I didn't go off my head at them, I just gave them the weekend as a cooling down period, hoping they would at least come and apologise and possibly even offer some compensation (litle hope there). After three days there was no contact from them so I took the next steps
Now this may help somebody in the future as I have been frustrated in the past by the relevant authorities seeming inability to assist. We eventually got an interview with and incident report number from the police and then contacted the local council ranger. Having that report number seems to be a key to action! There was consultation between ranger and cops and the result was that the ranger visited the neighbours and was so impressed by their attitude and behaviour that he hit them with two $550 fines for having uncontrolled dogs.
Poor stupid bastards, if they had come and apologised and promised to control their dogs (and actually done so) we would have been appeased. I suppose we would still have been angry but at least the dog owners would have taken some responsibity for their inactions. The matter of compensation was largely irrelevant because we knew it would never happen, but instead of a 'sorry' and maybe $200 in our hand they are wearing $1100 worth of fines. That will never return our buck, but it's nice to have a small win!

HUON
17th September 2009, 11:29 AM
It's satisfying when you can make the system work for you, sure beats stressing out with a rant and a rave. Have you considered using Maremmas to guard your goats and any other animals on your property, prevention is always better than the cure ( at least the buck would still be enjoying life ). We have four Maremmas and they do a great job, whether we're at home or not.

Tonyz
20th September 2009, 07:02 PM
Sorry but you wont win. The dogs will not be tied up and so the acton from them will continue. Only course of action? bunny shooting bugga missed sorr but what was he doing in my paddock, when you said he would be chained up. After the first episode you'll have an understanding response from ranger and police.

You may live on a block but until you start thinking like a farmer 'that everything here is my livelihood' you'll suffer fools/neighbours.

nihilism
20th September 2009, 08:45 PM
I would think that $1100 worth of fines would make them think about controlling their dogs.

burraboy
1st November 2009, 09:08 AM
The end of the story. The dogs came back and so did the ranger. He offered them a choice, surrender the dogs or cop another $1100 fine. This time the dogs are gone.

artme
16th November 2009, 08:15 AM
I don't know what the laws are like in each and every state but I suspect thy are pretty uch the same. The alterations to gun laws has, of course made it very difficult for rural landowners with stock to take what is often the only course left open to them.

Years ago, in an irrigation are in NSW., There were packs of up to 20 town dogs that used the channel banks to travel to farm properties and play havoc with livestock. A couple of shooting parties fixed that for a short time. Notices in the local paper also had some effect. The best thing to happen was fro the local council to take its responsibilities seriously with impoundings and fines. The odd case still slips through, but things are much better.

Ben from Vic.
16th November 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that in Vic it's legal for a farmer to shoot dogs that are attacking their stock. Had some people complain in the papaer that their dog had been shot, they told the council and police and were told that the farmer was within his rights!:2tsup:

johnc
16th November 2009, 05:19 PM
It's a common problem, we knew of one person that started to loose sheep every night over a couple of weeks, calls to several neighbours resulted in denials that their dogs had been out and about. We shot fourteen dogs in one night, and it was a long time before another sheep was lost. It is a shame as most of those shots probably had been well behaved family pets for much of the time and just got out of control when together. These didn't appear to be a pack just several seperate groups

HUON
3rd February 2010, 09:25 PM
So, Burraboy what's the latest?

burraboy
4th February 2010, 07:03 AM
All quiet so far! A paddock full of goats following a successful kidding season and no losses. We can only hope the neighbours have learnt an expensive lesson.