PDA

View Full Version : How do you join your face frames?

silentC
2nd August 2004, 12:16 PM
When making face frames, how do you do your joinery?

Barry_White
2nd August 2004, 12:21 PM
I use pocket hole with a Kreg Jig and sometimes biscuits.

Rocker
2nd August 2004, 12:45 PM
I do it the easy way, and the best way, with mortice and tenon. Our descendants are never going to admire the quality of our pocket-hole joinery.

Rocker

journeyman Mick
2nd August 2004, 01:15 PM
Depending on where I'm working (in a workshop, on site, in a cramped boat bobbing on the water), what equipment I've got access to (lots to none at all) and the budget range of the client, I have used a variety of methods.
Biscuits, pocket hole, screw and plug (pretty standard on boats), M & T, loose tenon, butted and shot together from behind with a wriggle stapler :eek: (for the real low budget ones).

Mick

silentC
2nd August 2004, 01:20 PM
OK, perhaps I should say 'what's your preferred method'? ;)

bitingmidge
2nd August 2004, 01:44 PM
OK, perhaps I should say 'what's your preferred method'? ;)
Skew nails, but that wasn't an option in the poll.

P
:D :D :D

journeyman Mick
2nd August 2004, 01:45 PM
Depending on strength requirements either biscuit (most common) or occasionally loose tenon.

Mick

AlexS
2nd August 2004, 06:12 PM
M&T for me...it took me long enough to get it right, I'm not going to learn another way as well!

outback
2nd August 2004, 09:09 PM
Not far off amaking my first attempt, I was gonna use a M&T, I'll watch with anticipation now. :rolleyes: I feel all tingly :eek:

Tonyz
2nd August 2004, 10:13 PM
I voted whats a face frame..... cause I always thought that what me missis gave me every night :D :eek: :cool: Tonto

craigb
3rd August 2004, 10:12 AM
I voted M&T as per Rocker's reasoning.

On the other hand, if the face frame was just going on MDF or something cheap, then I'd probably use biscuits

Kris.Parker1
5th August 2004, 11:23 PM
Go the mighty Triton Biscuit Joiner

John Saxton
15th September 2004, 09:48 PM
Mortise & Tenon, have used pocket hole in the past and even earlier on Dowels.

Cheers :)

Barry_White
14th March 2005, 07:13 PM
This has happened a couple of times lately, a post that is very old has popped up for no reason. The last time this one came up was September 2004 and yet when I clicked on "New Posts" this one was amongst them. Very mysterious.

Grunt
14th March 2005, 07:36 PM
As soon as someone votes on a poll it pops up the top even though there hasn't been a post to the thread.

I think we should start putting closing dates on polls to stop this from occurring. We get newbies who have a look at the polls forum and vote for all polls there.

echnidna
14th March 2005, 07:37 PM
Nailgun :D
If I'm doing a better quality job - wriggle nails :o
next step up dowels :cool:
If its a top class job usually m&T though a halved dovetail is attractive. ;)