View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ For 2nd August 2004

silentC
2nd August 2004, 03:13 PM
What is a FACE FRAME?

Cheers,
Ralph's Apprentice

Ivan in Oz
2nd August 2004, 03:15 PM
It's like a mirror without the Mirror part...............
Grief I dunno :confused: :confused:

That's why I'm here :eek:

Count

Ralph Jones
2nd August 2004, 09:35 PM
Good Evening Silent C,
Good question and you kind of fooled me as I didn't remember posting that quiz. Good job and I won't reveal the answer but, give the other fellows a chance.

Respectfully, :)

silentC
2nd August 2004, 09:56 PM
It came up because I posted a poll on how people join their face frames, in which one of the options was "What's a Face Frame". A few people answered thus and so I thought in the interests of edumacation it would be a good quizzer. Not many bites so far though, guess I wont be getting my Quizmaster license anytime soon :(

E. maculata
2nd August 2004, 10:33 PM
Gidday gentlemens,
Is that the older method of actually fixing a solid frame (maybe 1"x1")to the front of cupboards/cabinets to hang the hinges etc off.

journeyman Mick
2nd August 2004, 10:41 PM
Once upon a time, before everybody started making "euro" type cabinets which were made of a series of boxes that had doors hinged directly onto the boxes there was Another Way. Now this other way was a lot more labour intensive and didn't give the clean lines of the euro system and neccesitated using old fashioned butt hinges, but it didn't require a massive investment in sliding panel saws, edgebanders and multi boring machines. It did however require the construction of Face Frames. These frames not only held the front of the cabinets together and supported the doors but they were also Visible. The doors actually had spaces between them and the Face Frames could be seen here. This of course neccessitated some manner of joining them neatly, with the required strength. And the cabinetmakers said "Oh this is all too much for us, give us faceless carcasse construction, euro cup hinges with multiple adjustment capability, modular construction, knock down fasteners, CNC routers, computerised beam saws, automatic edgebanders, and self levelling feet" And Hettich, Blum, Morbidelli, Altendorf, SCM, Giben and others obliged and all the cabinetmakers lived happily ever after :) Of course there were a few neanderthal luddite malcontents who wished to continue in the evil ways of their forefathers but market forces soon hunted them down and forced them to the edges of the great corporate jungle.

Mick (who makes his cabinets however the client wishes-as long as they've got the coin to pay him) ;)

duckman
2nd August 2004, 10:46 PM
Mick,

Ummm... I'm gunna go out on a limb here and suggest that you are a little miffed at the 'dumbing down' of the wood working trades. Am I close? :D :D :D :D

duckman
2nd August 2004, 10:47 PM
Its the name given to the frame that surrounds that nice photo of SilentC that hangs in every post office. :D :D

journeyman Mick
2nd August 2004, 11:13 PM
Duckman,
no not really, to be honest most of my kitchens are euro style boxes, it's an easy way to make a living. More complex stuff is more satisfying but I don't make as good a money out of it. I'd actually prefer to make euro style boxes and spend more time on doors and panels as features. Face frames add cost but no strength IMO, and this is money that could be put to better use in hardware, door furniture, finishing or appliances. Like i said, I'll make 'em any way they want - dumb :confused: or clever :rolleyes: .

Mick :D

silentC
3rd August 2004, 08:54 AM
Congratulations Bruce C and Mick, you both had the correct answer!

I will add that face frames, whilst not common these days in kitchens for the reasons you describe, are still very common in traditional-style furniture, for example on chests of drawers. Face frames are also an alternative if you wish to use man-made board products for cabinets but do not have access to an edge-bander.

Thank you for your support ;)

bitingmidge
3rd August 2004, 10:35 AM
Oh my golly goodnes me Silent, I've just wet meself!!

If I had a greenie to share, trust me, it would be your's.

:D :D :D

P

Ivan in Oz
3rd August 2004, 11:07 AM
Oh my golly goodnes me Silent, I've just wet meself!!

If I had a greenie to share, trust me, it would be your's.

:D :D :D

P

Are we talking Greenies, as in GREENies.................. :confused:

or Oysters......... :eek: :eek:

Hark.............Ptoie :o

Count