PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it

welder
19th September 2009, 01:10 AM
i need a metal cutting bandsaw i have found this one on eBay and would like to know asap what you guys think it. is it worth the money or should i wait for another one to appear ow they guy want $150 for it

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=170383037910

pjt
19th September 2009, 01:14 AM
Based on just the pic it looks ok so yeh I'd pay 150 for it
Peter

Dave J
19th September 2009, 01:44 AM
I think it's worth $150 as there $400+ new now.And then you still have to fiddle with it usually.
Dave

Dave J
19th September 2009, 01:53 AM
When you go to pick it up, see if the seller will let you take the 4 screws off the gearbox to check the worm and gear are allright and look for shavings in there.Lean the saw over a bit so the gearbox is level when you do it so the oil dosn't run out, or you will have oil all over there floor. Other than that you should be fine.
Dave

jatt
19th September 2009, 08:21 AM
I go along with Dave J's suggestion.

Obviously a good look over in the metal will reveal the kind of life its had. Clamp etc...

Nice bit of bracing on the legs.

Retromilling
19th September 2009, 09:08 AM
If its working ok then it is worth the money but if it don't work then its not.
I think in reality you would be better off buying a new one . The H&F Bs-5 is only about $429 new and the BS -4A is $352. Is it worth the risk.

welder
19th September 2009, 10:10 AM
I think in reality you would be better off buying a new one . The H&F Bs-5 is only about $429 new and the BS -4A is $352. Is it worth the risk.

idealie yes i would buy a new bandsaw i spent half my tool money on a tig welder and i only have around $200 left to spend on tools and need a band saw for the project i am working on
also what could be broken on a machine like this and just found out it does not come with blades

Dave J
19th September 2009, 01:59 PM
idealie yes i would buy a new bandsaw i spent half my tool money on a tig welder and i only have around $200 left to spend on tools and need a band saw for the project i am working on
also what could be broken on a machine like this and just found out it does not come with blades

Blades are cheap and you can have them mailed from H&F if you go that way. Have you thought about a abrasive cut off saw from bunnings or supercheap .That sort of money will buy one of those and a some extra discs, and then you will have 12 to 36 months warranty depending where you buy it.
Dave

welder
19th September 2009, 03:27 PM
i do have an abrasive cut off saw the god for the guarantee the switch was replaced twin and the motor was replaced once
but with the project i am currently working on i need to cut 50 and 40 mm solid bar also i am feed up of the grindings going everywhere so i decided on a bandsaw for a few reasons
1. quieter than a chop saw
2. makes swarf witch is an easy clean compared to grindings
3. you can leave it to cut and goo to do something else

Dave J
19th September 2009, 04:20 PM
Have you bought as yet, or is it a auction.The only things to check are the pulley bearings/bushes, gearbox and the blade guide bearings other than that it should be OK.
Dave

welder
19th September 2009, 04:51 PM
no i haven't bought it but am still deciding on weather i should or not i cant view before i buy as i cant get there till next Friday when i would need to pick up
so i am going to trust the item description
engine runs missing the blade otherwise Ok

another question would it be appropriate to build a small suds pump for this machine to cut the large 50 mm solid bar or would it be alright without coolant

Dave J
19th September 2009, 05:05 PM
If it's a one off job you can just use a spray bottle for now and later you can add coolant if you want it.I have it on mine and it does make the blades last longer.
Dave

welder
19th September 2009, 05:12 PM
hi Dave do you have any pics of the coolant system on your saw thanks Andre

Dave J
19th September 2009, 05:19 PM
I will get some in the next few days and upload them.It's a very simple setup but works well and I don't loose any coolant.
Dave

welder
19th September 2009, 07:37 PM
yes it is worth it
thanks guys for all your help i have purchased the saw and will be picking it up on Friday i looked up the address and it is only 10 minutes away from hare and Forbes so i can buy the blades and some other stuff

Dave J
19th September 2009, 08:24 PM
When you go to Hare and Forbes, if you the have time, go down the road 3km to there warehouse, as I noticed last time I was there they had a table with disounted things on it.I picked up a new switch for my wood bandsaw for $10 and a pile of 6mm threaded knobs for 40c each.They have old stock,left over and odd things on it,there might be somthing there that interest you there? They do bargain a bit to if you ask. It's just as you walk in the small door facing the street.
Dave

welder
21st September 2009, 12:39 AM
does any know weather hare and Forbes sells bi metal blades for the bandsaw is bought i think it's the model bs5 on the site they only have them in carbon steel

Dave J
21st September 2009, 02:57 AM
No only starrett carbon steel blades from them.If you want bimetal you will have to look around for places that sell and sharpen saw blades,they usually have them or make them up. I find the carbon blades to be fine for most stuff,remember bimetal will cost $30-$50 a blade.
If you buy the carbon blades below is what I wrote in another post earlier.
"It has been about year since I bought 10 blades but Hare and Forbes had a deal going for years that if you bought 10 blades of the same size of any pitch (even wood blades) they through in one free,not sure if it's still going after the price rise, but ask while you are there."
Dave

Dave J
27th September 2009, 01:07 PM
yes it is worth it
thanks guys for all your help i have purchased the saw and will be picking it up on Friday i looked up the address and it is only 10 minutes away from hare and Forbes so i can buy the blades and some other stuff

How did you go with the saw, did you pick it up on friday?
Dave