PDA

View Full Version : Stuff-up no 1 with the esc. chuck

jefferson
19th September 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm apparently doing a demo on the Vicmarc escoulen chuck down at 's place on the 10th.

So I thought I'd play a little today - and enjoyed turning a lot of air.

Only three chisels used - a parting tool, a 10mm parting tool (a negative rake scraper apparently), for peeling cuts. Plus a long and strong spindle gouge.

And yes, I did stuff it up. Never mind. :wink:

Back at it tomorrow or the day after..... :D

I couldn't figure out what was happening, so I coated the redgum with texta.

And the lid wouldn't fit.....

Anyway, here are the pics.

ALL ADVICE WELOME.

Ad de Crom
19th September 2009, 10:51 PM
Jeff, a fun experience, isn't it!!!
Always nice to learn new tricks :)
Ad :2tsup:

tea lady
19th September 2009, 11:59 PM
:cool: Looks like fun.:2tsup:

artme
20th September 2009, 03:25 AM
I see lots of stuphph like that in Brasil. Especially after a few caipirinhas.:D:D:D:q

Ed Reiss
20th September 2009, 12:41 PM
kinda' looks like a bust of a French Foreign Legionnaire...or something that he needs to use asap :o:roll::D:D:D

At least your having fun messing around with the escoulon...that's what counts :2tsup:

Grumpy John
31st December 2009, 04:00 PM
I now understand how you felt Jeff. I attempted to make one of the scoops Jean Francois does in his DVD, Jeez he makes it look easy. After I had a slight dig in and the piece spun in the cup chuck, I decided to give it a rest before I lost a finger. I must admit though that I'm hooked and I can see myself wasting a lot of scrap timber before I get any better.

125380 125381 125382

Sawdust Maker
31st December 2009, 05:22 PM
Well done fellas
I'm not sure this is for me as I'm still getting the hang of doing things simply rather the moving the axis all the time
But I'm sure I'd like to play with one, one day :cool:

tea lady
31st December 2009, 06:39 PM
That looks very cute Grumpy!:2tsup: Keep going.:cool:

wheelinround
31st December 2009, 08:47 PM
Well done fellas
I'm not sure this is for me as I'm still getting the hang of doing things simply rather the moving the axis all the time
But I'm sure I'd like to play with one, one day :cool:

Hands On Show is coming come try the OTGA's Oval lathe :;

Ed Reiss
1st January 2010, 01:29 AM
John, plenty of wood left ...can still be salvaged :cool::D

Manuka Jock
1st January 2010, 05:30 AM
I now understand how you felt Jeff. I attempted to make one of the scoops Jean Francois does in his DVD, Jeez he makes it look easy. After I had a slight dig in and the piece spun in the cup chuck, I decided to give it a rest before I lost a finger. I must admit though that I'm hooked and I can see myself wasting a lot of scrap timber before I get any better.

125380 125381 125382

Stick a handle on it John , and go knock a few balls about :U

Tony Morton
1st January 2010, 08:39 AM
John and Jeff

It looks easy when we see the experts do it but most times we are to busy watching tecnique to see the main point. I've experienced it with two other projects and I guess most people would be the same, the first was with the Sorby spiriling tool and last year with the latice turning it was'nt till Ken mentioned the timber that I twigged its the selection of timber that will put you closer to sucess. Keep up the practice and the pics.

Cheers Tony

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2010, 09:25 PM
Hands On Show is coming come try the OTGA's Oval lathe :;

hmm very tempting
is it your turn to shout the hamburger?

wheelinround
2nd January 2010, 07:31 AM
hmm very tempting
is it your turn to shout the hamburger?

Last Hamburger I had was almost a year ago Nick that day I ended up in hospital you know the rest.

Sawdust Maker
2nd January 2010, 10:08 PM
not good
hospital visits cost too many pens :C