PDA

View Full Version : stripping wood veneer

Blueberry
21st September 2009, 07:55 PM
Hi, I have a dressing table that i want to restore.
I am thinking that it is perhaps 1950s. It has wood veneer, and the finish is all cracked, and had bubbled and lifted off in many places.

From reading the forums i suspect it may be shellac, but will try the metho thing to check it out.
Was wondering how fragile veneer is? How gentle do i need to be, should i use steel wool only or sand paper as well?
If i do a patch test with the metho, and it comes off, can i scape it off with a scraper, or just use the steel wool?:?

You can prob tell that i really have no idea about this, so would welcome any ideas.
If the metho works, how toxic is the old shellac? I will strip it on the back patio, will it let off fumes or anything?

I have a photobucket account, but are unsure how to put the photos on here, if someone lets me know i will add photos of the dresser, and its progress:U

AlexS
21st September 2009, 09:22 PM
If you are lucky and it is shellac (good chance), metho & 0000 steel wool will do the trick. Soak the steel wool in metho, rub & clean off with paper towel or rags. Don't rub too hard, as veneer may be quite thin. You may need to to do it a couple of times.

Shellac is pretty safe, metho, like any solvent, isn't good to sniff, but it's not as bad as some. If you work in a well-ventilated area you'll be OK.

Blueberry
21st September 2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks, will look for 0000 size steel wool at bunnings on weekend:)
Have read on the forums that some say that its best to re-shellac, is that easy to do? Should i have all the stuff i need to re-seal quickly after stripping, or do i let it sit for a while?
Also I read that people often stain before putting on a finish, but i like the idea of leaving it the natural colour, anyone done this and think it looks good?

When i work out the photo thing will post some:U

Blueberry
21st September 2009, 09:54 PM
ok trying to add photos:rolleyes: