PDA

View Full Version : Steam Weeding Machine

lockwood116
23rd September 2009, 08:10 PM
Have been looking for alternatives to using Roundup and came across some machines that use steam to killweeds. They are for comercial operations and way to big for what I want. Does any one have any ideas on how to make one. I have included photo of one I have found in the states and over $4000 US.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/content/images/big/Green%20Steamnew.jpg

tea lady
23rd September 2009, 10:47 PM
:think: I wonder if you could just use a domestic steam cleaner. :shrug: Would be good to not have to use chemicals. I wonder if it kills oxalis.:rolleyes:

snowyskiesau
24th September 2009, 07:09 AM
The local council used to have similar machine for weed control. It used steam and a coconut based additive that created a hot foam that was sprayed on weeds growing on the footpath.
Seemed to work pretty well and smelled good as well. I haven't seen/smelt it for a while so perhaps they've gone back to roundup.

SurfinNev
24th September 2009, 02:50 PM
LP gas works ok.

Nev

glenn k
24th September 2009, 06:31 PM
LP works well as an insecticide as well.

lockwood116
24th September 2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. First I would like it to be portable and the gas would work ok but there will be a fire risk where I live soon.

zuffen
30th September 2009, 09:05 PM
The big green shed sells a gas powered weeder.

Its in this weeks catalogue.

When thinking about using heat to kill weeds should we not ask if this is environmentally worse than organochlorides?

What's the carbon footprint of steaming your weeds?

No I'm not a "tree hugger" but I too looked at it but then started to wonder.

glenn k
1st October 2009, 11:34 PM
The big green shed sells a gas powered weeder.

Its in this weeks catalogue.

When thinking about using heat to kill weeds should we not ask if this is environmentally worse than organochlorides?

What's the carbon footprint of steaming your weeds?

No I'm not a "tree hugger" but I too looked at it but then started to wonder.

How much energy do you think it takes to make the weedicides? A sh*t load more than boiling a bit of water.

zuffen
2nd October 2009, 07:55 AM
How much energy do you think it takes to make the weedicides? A sh*t load more than boiling a bit of water.

No I must admit I haven't looked into that.

Seeing you know could you tell us all how much energy it takes to make 1 litre of herbicide then compare that energy against the amount of energy to boil sufficient water to treat the area 1 litre of correctly diluted herbicide could/should/would treat.

Some scientific results just could change the way we all think.

glenn k
2nd October 2009, 05:20 PM
Well besides other things I'm also a chemist so I could possibly do these calculations. Just need a few details::doh:
Which herbicide are you refering? As it's not only the energy to make and purify the herbicide but also the energy to make the reagents and transport them.
Where has it been transported from?
What size and type of container are you buying it in?
What do you do with the container when you finish with it?
What is your spay equipment powered by?
What do you do with the waste herbicide? Does your sewerage farm process this?
Do I count the cost and energy of environmental testing and cleaning? Even super safe Glyphosate (N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine) has been banned in Denmark because of the build up in ground water.
What type of weeds are we doing the calculations on? Many are resistant to different herbicides but they all don't like to be cooked.

zuffen
2nd October 2009, 09:11 PM
Ok,

I live in Sydney.

1. Glypho made by Envirogreen in Stapylton QLD
2. I guess Stapylton in QLD to Sydney. Perhaps I should buy a Sydney product?
3. 4 litres
4. Rinse it to get all the product into the spay equipment then fill it with waste oil and take it to my local oil recycler
5. Human power. Hand pump 7 litre container
6. Never have any waste as I use it at home and on another property I have nearby so the container is allways fully emptied and I usually have a few unsprayed weeds
7. I think we should count the cost of environmental testing just as we should count the cost of coal/gas/fuel exploration, testing and productin/transport.
8. Mostly kikuyu that escapes into gardens, so I use 10ml/litre of water or 70ml per tank. My 4 litre drum will make 400 liters of useful product.

I guess you need to work out the environmental cost of boiling 400 litres of water with all it's associated costs and compare to the cost of the herbicide. Don't forget Kevin carbon trading cost.

I'm a rational person and if you can convince me boiling water is better all round I'll swap.

Strom
19th October 2009, 12:42 AM
LP works well as an insecticide as well.

Please elaborate on this ??.. :o

glenn k
19th October 2009, 01:01 PM
You light it, spray the insects and they die.

dazzler
19th October 2009, 08:32 PM
You light it, spray the insects and they die.

I would recommend a torch on the end. Its so difficult directing the flames spurting out the end of the bottle. :)