PDA

View Full Version : carbide tool holders and tips

tanii51
23rd September 2009, 11:05 PM
ive always had trouble understanding the codes for tool holders and what tip fits the tool
heres a catalogue that maybe of some help and lots of useful info if you get to the bottom http://www.toolmex.com/documentation/tools/catalogs/CarbideCatalog.pdf
even more stuff if you go to the home site
ooops sorry thanks pete

snowyskiesau
24th September 2009, 07:47 AM
:no: I get a page not found when I follow the link.

Pete F
24th September 2009, 10:23 AM
:no: I get a page not found when I follow the link.

Agree. This could be the appropriate link http://www.toolmex.com/documentation/tools/catalogs/CarbideCatalog.pdf

There was also quite a good article in Model Engineering Workshop about carbide inserts a while back.

This is undoubtedly the next thing I'll try using. What are people suggesting in regards brands available in Oz?

Pete

pipeclay
24th September 2009, 01:01 PM
Any of the international manufacturers tips would be suitable as well as there tools,there are numerous companies,do a search.
Most tools and tips are ISO so they will be interchangeable between makers for the same style of tip and holder.
Would suggest to steer clear of any of the locally available tooling kits and buy individual tools.
Most of the kits require you to purchase tips that are only suitable for those holders.
Search Ebay internationally there are quite a few good bargains to be had for tips and tooling compared to the cost of locally purchased tooling from local suppliers.

Pete F
24th September 2009, 01:09 PM
Ok thanks for that. I wasn't sure which were ISO compliant and which weren't. I see Sandvik inserts come up a lot on ebay locally.

I've heard especially good things in general about the parting off inserts and holder and I'd like to get one to suit my axa toolpost but so far they seem to be rather expensive.

Pete

pipeclay
24th September 2009, 02:58 PM
They will be,do you have power feed on your cross slide.
If you do you can try the parting blade,would only suggest getting a 2mm blade.
These parting tools work much better under a feed they like constant pressure.
Not sure how well they will work on a Hercus lathe.
But if you get 1 and its not suitable you should be able to get your money back.

Pete F
24th September 2009, 03:07 PM
No power feed here but I've read about people using them on similar sized 9" Asian lathes with excellent results so hopefully will be ok. So far the only parting I've done is courtesy of a bandsaw :D

tanii51
24th September 2009, 08:00 PM
have to agree with pipeclay on the kits; only bought one kit so far and one of them the tip keeps moving under load.. the back of the tool holder isnt machined to fit the tip properly .. yes its buyer beware but how do you know until you try it

Gavin Newman
24th September 2009, 11:17 PM
I'm running Taguetec stuff from General Tools in Adelaide, it runs really well on my Hafco AL-320G. The trick with these smaller lathes is to make sure you get positive rake inserts. In production environments with heavy lathes they use negative rake tooling but the lighter lathes can't cope with this stuff.

In case it helps I'm using an SCLCR1616H09 turning holder with CCMT09T308 inserts - TT3500 grade. The same inserts will fit an S16R-SCLCR09 boring tool. I use the TSC3 parting tips in a 26 mm blade.

The Taguetec stuff is a little bit more expensive than some other brands but it seems to be good quality and the inserts last for a long while so I suspect in the long term it works out cheaper than the lesser quality kit.

The only downside is that you have to buy inserts in boxes of 10 and you need different inserts for aluminium - and they are really expensive. So I still use HSS for all my ally turning at this stage,

I was very lucky, I scored the Taguetec manual for nothing, its about 800 pages full of good stuff.

Retromilling
29th September 2009, 06:01 PM
ive always had trouble understanding the codes for tool holders and what tip fits the tool
heres a catalogue that maybe of some help and lots of useful info if you get to the bottom http://www.toolmex.com/documentation/tools/catalogs/CarbideCatalog.pdf
even more stuff if you go to the home site
ooops sorry thanks pete

A good way to get a handle on the different insert types and codes is to go to a local machine shop and ask for any old outdated Sandvic Corromant Turning tools catalogues . They have all the ISO codes and some even have a back section that converts ISO to American ANSI codes so you can work out what they are selling on say ebay that suits your tooling.
I use a 1998 Corromant turning tools catalogue that I found in a skip bin while I was scavenging for steel offcuts. Since then I now ask and I have got a few different brands , Mitsubishi , Kenermetal, Ceratip to name a few. I use it mainly to identify inserts sizes and shapes , uses etc.
If you can't get a specific catalogue for your brand of tooling then it can still help with general knowledge about insert types.
Just for example you will learn that a TPMR 110304 ISO is in fact a TPMR 221 in American ANSI . The ISO code is more informative of the inserts size and point radius etc. than the American codes are .