PDA

View Full Version : Unveiling New OT Lathe

wheelinround
24th September 2009, 04:31 PM
Last Wednesday OTGA members in Sydney met at Alf Jordon's (president of OTGA) place for the unveiling of his new dedicated Ornamental Turning lathe.

The lathe itself is from H&F's (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W387) with a few modifications for access to drive pulleys attachment of drive shafts which fold out of the way for other types of OT work. Like all OT and Rose Engine lathes its a work in progress.

The Eccentric Chuck was built as it would have been all those years ago long before sintered bearings the grinding of shafts done to close tolerances. Although this shows the set up with a pencil and paper for demo, it does take cutters to create patterns.

First 3 photo's Alf's old Alfa 1 machine his original build.

The rest the new gear

Big Shed
26th September 2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for that Ray, must say I didn't recognise that lathe.

As it happened I was in H&F yesterday and there it was, seems a very nice lathe for the money. On special atm for $1650. EVS with powerful - 2hp - DC brushless motor, nicely machined bed, solid stand and it has tailstock travel of over 100mm!

Edwards
29th September 2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for that Ray, must say I didn't recognise that lathe.

As it happened I was in H&F yesterday and there it was, seems a very nice lathe for the money. On special atm for $1650. EVS with powerful - 2hp - DC brushless motor, nicely machined bed, solid stand and it has tailstock travel of over 100mm!

Well done to all concerned, especially Alf I guess.
Looks like it has real potential especially for those who are not inclined to make up there own bits and pieces.
I will be interested in following its progress.

Cheers
Edwards :)

wheelinround
29th September 2009, 05:31 PM
Well done to all concerned, especially Alf I guess.
Looks like it has real potential especially for those who are not inclined to make up there own bits and pieces.
I will be interested in following its progress.

Cheers
Edwards :)

I'll pass your comments on Bronte

Edwards
3rd October 2009, 02:58 PM
I'll pass your comments on Bronte

Just looking at the photos again and I well understand safety was not a major concern when OT lathes were orininally designed hundred plus years ago, this one with the rotating shaft, pulley and belt perfectly positioned in the front of the machine to catch any clothing or body parts should be a real concern to those selling and using it.
The shaft obviously should be repositioned and covered for commercial sale and common sense.

Cheers
Edwards

wheelinround
3rd October 2009, 03:11 PM
Just looking at the photos again and I well understand safety was not a major concern when OT lathes were orininally designed hundred plus years ago, this one with the rotating shaft, pulley and belt perfectly positioned in the front of the machine to catch any clothing or body parts should be a real concern to those selling and using it.
The shaft obviously should be repositioned and covered for commercial sale and common sense.

Cheers
Edwards

Bronte well spotted :2tsup:

The other problem is access to cross slide vice machine head and vice, tooling you either have to lower the pullies or work over them.

Ray

wheelinround
4th October 2009, 01:45 PM
Just as a comparison for older original OT lathes here's a pic

http://www.ornamentalturning.co.uk/index.1.jpg

bobsreturn2003
19th October 2009, 07:28 AM
Yep a w.h.a.s nightmare ! but arent they amazing? im sure if you can work and apreciate these tools ,keeping out of the way is easy, good luck and happy turning . Bob :2tsup:

Frank Boyd
25th October 2012, 05:57 AM
purchsing eccentric chuch?

wheelinround
25th October 2012, 08:50 AM
purchsing eccentric chuch?

Hi Frank welcome to the forum.

Not sure what your saying about purchasing an eccentric Chuck could you enlighten????

Ad de Crom
25th October 2012, 08:07 PM
Mighty interesting machine, also interesting with your own eyes to see a demonstration of this machine. I get lots of thoughts when I look at the pictures, very tempting to try something yourself to build in the most simple way

Christos
25th October 2012, 08:25 PM

Welcome to the forum. If I was to guess he might be asking what is an eccentric chuck.

wheelinround
25th October 2012, 09:03 PM
An Eccentric Chuck (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78550480@N08/7029723785/)

Frank Boyd
26th October 2012, 07:06 AM
Who ever built the chuck with all the gears and such should be able to build more. Than maybe i could build the rest of the lathe, maybe.--- That is what i ment,-- to purchas chuck. -- This eccentric chuck is vear cool. been having trobel sending on this form.

wheelinround
26th October 2012, 08:48 AM
Frank the fellow who built the attachments for the lathe is a top engineer Greg (not the owner of the lathe) is a very talented fellow.

hughie
31st October 2012, 12:35 PM
Phew! some work in that one Ray looks good.
Be interested to see what he turns out with it. Be fun to build one dunno if I wanted to run one tho'.

wheelinround
31st October 2012, 02:01 PM
Phew! some work in that one Ray looks good.
Be interested to see what he turns out with it. Be fun to build one dunno if I wanted to run one tho'.

Hughie if you mean the first series of photos sadly Alf as far as I know has not been able to since just after showing this use it. His health went south. I have asked each time I have spoke to him since has he been able to produce anything and same answer No. He was the ex-president of OTGA of 10 yrs and its sad to see he hasn't been able even to turn anything to then take to the OT lathe. Failing remaining sight has not helped.