PDA

View Full Version : Gauging out a a long piece of wood

Commander_Chimp
4th August 2004, 08:40 AM
Does anyone have an idea how to hollow out a long cylindical piece of wood on a lathe,about 2 inchs diameter and 25 inches long?

Some help would be greatly appreciated

rsser
4th August 2004, 08:58 AM
Is the ID or OD 2"?

If the latter...

There are long handheld drill bits designed for drilling out lampstands and the like, but they cost.

Something that musical instrument makers use for drilling out wind instruments is called (from memory) a D bit. With a bit of care you can make one yourself - do a Google for details.

ptc
4th August 2004, 06:48 PM
make a long handle to hold a forstner bit
the size of bore required,
with care bore it from end to middle
and reverse.
ptc

fxst
4th August 2004, 07:30 PM
I have the long drill that I bought with my sytec and it works a treat.basically a 10mm drill bit welded to a length of rod with a handle.if u have a hollow tailstock make a bush so the rod stays central and away u go
Pete

Red neck
4th August 2004, 07:38 PM
Try a ‘long hole boring tool’ available from Carbatec for about $80. Comprises a rod a couple of feet long that is fed through a hollow tailstock.

Red neck
4th August 2004, 07:43 PM
Commander_Chimp

Sorry mate ... I just noted that you are from Ireland and I guess Carbatec isn't much good to you. Here is a link to a site up in your part of the world that will explain it all for you. http://www.recordpower.co.uk/hints.asp?Id=17.

Regards from 'down-under'

smidsy
4th August 2004, 09:08 PM
You will also need a three point steady - this will support the end of the work and allow you remove the tail stock for drilling.
This link is for an Aussie shop, but it will give you an idea of what you want.
http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12550&parentid=12479&prodid=28884

Cheers
Smidsy

gatiep
5th August 2004, 02:40 AM
Commander Chimp

The long hole boring tool in the Carba-Tec site is a Hamlet that is manufactured in Sheffield....closer to you than us.

The other suggestion is a forstner bit on extention.

If you wanted to open the hole up more, I suggest a very long handled heavy duty turning tool, specially made for hollowing. I wont suggest it as a biginner's project though.

Sprog
5th August 2004, 12:46 PM
You will also need a three point steady - this will support the end of the work and allow you remove the tail stock for drilling.

Cheers
Smidsy

Smidsy,

The MC900 has a live centre with a removeable point, held in with a small allen screw, allowing a 3/8 drill to pass through the tailstock and still have the cone on the live centre support the work.

;)