PDA

View Full Version : pipe clamps

EMistral
25th September 2009, 10:21 AM
Hi all,

Living in Melbourne (eastern suburbs), I would like to know where you can buy the 19mm pipe used in pipe clamps.
currently making a very long kitchen cabinet (2.2m long), I need to invest in pipe clamps.
I can find the clamp heads everywhere and I thought that those shops selling the clamps heads would also sell the pipes.
Well that's not the case.
does anybody know a place to purchase these pipes and roughly what is the cost per metre of a 19mm pipe?
Thanks

Wongo
25th September 2009, 10:39 AM
Last year I bought a 6m piple from reece. I can't remember how much but I think it is around $90. Its probably not the best price but it was close to where I live.

EMistral
25th September 2009, 11:58 AM
for those who live in Melbourne, I did a bit of search and found moorabbin steel is specialized in steel of all shapes and length and they gave me a quote for 2 pieces of 2.5m long in 3/4" black pipe and 2 pieces of 1.5m long of the same pipe for $28+GST which I find more than reasonable.
I don't know what's out there, if it is a good price but if Wongo paid $90 for 6m then $28 for 8m is quite good

Tung tied
1st October 2009, 05:05 PM
I got a 6.5m length of gal 20mm from Swann plumbing on Warrigal road (Melbourne SE burbs) opposite the bunnies for $45. They wouldn't cut it though but I've got a hack saw.

Trev6
2nd October 2009, 08:01 AM
Hi,

Don't bother buying precut lengths they will cost to much. Go to a steel yard [a place there they sell pipe ect.] and buy a length of 19mm pipe and cut it yourself, you can then custom cut the lengths to suit whatever you are making and you will eventualy end up with a good range of different lengths for future use. BTW I would use gal pipe, you won,t get rust stain of it like black pipe, another thing is pipe can come in different thickness , I would go for a 2.5mm for the longer lengths like your bench tops.

Happy woodworking

Trevor

Kyle
3rd October 2009, 08:38 AM
Just remember that most pipe clamps need at least one end of the pipe threaded. Some like the Irwin brand don't need any thread.