PDA

View Full Version : second lot

Stef
25th September 2009, 02:53 PM
Here are a few pics of my second lot of bowls. I have taken on board some of the comments that were posted on my first thread about the bowls being a bit to shinny so i have tryed a few things a bit different ths time.

Ok bowl number 1 is Bulloak and bowl number 2 is Yellowbox burl. They were both finished with 4 coats shellac and 4 coats of minwax wipe on polly but this time its the satin instead of the gloss.
Bowl number 3 is Blackwood, its got about 6-7 coats of Cabots Danish oil and polished with EEE.
The gobblet is my 2nd the first ended up in 2 pieces. Its turned from Blackbox and its got 6 coats Tung oil and polished with EEE.

Ad de Crom
25th September 2009, 03:02 PM
Stef, very nice work. The yellowbox burl took my attention, as it is interesting wood.
Very well done.
Ad :2tsup:

Ozkaban
25th September 2009, 03:21 PM
I agree with Ad, the yellowbox is the standout, though the radius down the side isn't as continuous as I would like - I reckon it would look better with one smooth arc from rim to foot.

They all look very nice though and I do like how you've finished them. Well done :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
25th September 2009, 04:05 PM
they all look really good and you seem to be getting a goo result with your finishes:2tsup::2tsup:

artme
25th September 2009, 10:58 PM
Great work Stef!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I can only agree with all the above comments.

thefixer
26th September 2009, 12:09 AM
Beautiful work on the bowls Stef and the cup of the goblet is showing nice form but a cup that size needs a longer and much thinner stem and the base should be just a tad smaller than the cup.

Cheers
Shorty

Texian
26th September 2009, 03:06 PM
Must agree that the midpoint transition on #1 and #2 is a bit sharp, and maybe a bit too much foot on #1. That said, still some very nice work indeed. Maybe am in the minority, but I like shiny (deep, high gloss finish), and shiny sells. That's why we have chrome on automobiles, although not so much as 20 or 30 years ago.

Go back to sentence 2. Very pretty stuff Stef. Good that you are working with various different finishes, and may eventually decide on a couple that work best for you.

Stef
27th September 2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the comments, i will certainly take it all onboard.

As for finish i think i lean slightly in favour of the high gloss, but with saying that to see the blackwood bowl in the real its pretty special. As someone said before i think it comes down to the particular piece.

Cheers Stef.