PDA

View Full Version : Clarinet re-corking - DIY or where in Sydney?

City Kid
25th September 2009, 04:39 PM
Hi,

My wifes clarinet is quite a few years old and while she occasionally picks it up to play she's so disappointed each time remembering the cork inbetween sections is perished.

I think its a little beyond my home repairs expertise... is it?

Or would you recommend a repairer that isn't going to do what our mechanic does and find 1000 things wrong and charge just as much...

We're in Sydney, but would consider posting if the price was right.

Thanks.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th September 2009, 06:47 PM
It's not that hard to do yourself, but sourcing suitable cork will probably be the stumbling lock. Unless you know a repairer... but then you wouldn't be asking, eh?

If you were here in Vic I'd recommend you to try Hans Music Spot (http://www.hansmusicspot.com.au/) in Croydon. Perhaps it's worth sending them an email ([email protected]) and asking if they can recommend someone more local to you?

Sebastiaan56
26th September 2009, 07:37 AM
Most of the city music shops should have a repair section. Try Billy Hydes. I think you are right though it will lead to a never ending list of to-dos, particularly on an older instrument. It is often cheaper to buy a new one.

I have successfully recorked using thread and vaseline. I used silk thread and just kept winding till I got a good seal. A couple of things to watch, get the thread as even as you can, have a look at how bobbins are threaded. Be generous with the vaseline, it lubricates the joint but also protects the thinner parts of the instrument joints from swelling and cracking. Dont wrap to loose as it will pull the threads out of line as you pull the instrument apart and set it up. Dont thread it too tight as the wood does swell and contract with the ambient humditiy and as the instrument is played.

A good seal is imperative, the instrument wont sound properly if you dont get it right. Give it a good oiling at the same time. Its pretty easy really.

burraboy
26th September 2009, 07:58 AM
If you're going to try the thread option, waxed dental floss gives good results.

prozac
26th September 2009, 06:21 PM
Only one place really to go and that is Tom Sparkes in Hornsby. http://www.tomsparkesoboes.com.au/

All the best.

City Kid
28th September 2009, 01:23 PM
Wow wow wow.

You guys are awesome.

I'm gonna knock her socks off with all your advice!

AlexS
29th September 2009, 09:34 AM
Daughter did everything else but recork hers, for that she took it to Tom Sparkes as above.

SilkyOak
4th December 2009, 12:54 PM
All you need is the right cork. I bought cork sheet from a repairer and recorked my clarinet a few years ago. The cork has to be the right hardness. There is a good description of how to do the job at:
MusicMedic.com: Installing MusicMedic.com Clarinet Tenon Cork (http://www.musicmedic.com/info/articles/num_3.html)

Thread lapping of joints is not appropriate for a clarinet, but for older or folk instruments the proper way to do it is with linen yarn coated with a mixture of half and half beeswax and woolfat. Melt the beeswax and stir the wool fat in. I bought a llittle jar of wool fat from a pharmacy years ago and I'm still using it.
Lie the thread across the tenon, in line with the axis of the instrument and turn it back on itself to make a little loop. Wind from the other end, back and forth around the tenon, testing after each wrap, till the joint feels tight enough. Poke the end of the thread through the loop and pull the loop closed from the other end to finish off. This is the traditional method of joining a Bulgarian Kaval.