PDA

View Full Version : Oak use ???

wheelinround
25th September 2009, 07:12 PM
I have 2 similar size pieces of English Oak have turned them same length & dia.

First thoughts are to make matching pair of Ale Tankards

Now what would be best internal finish for being able to drink from them

What outside finish.

Thanks Ray

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th September 2009, 07:22 PM
My preference is for Rustin's Plastic Finish on the inside, to both seal and prevent the wood discolouring.

On the outside, I simply use DO. But if they're gonna see frequent use or the inside of a dishwasher [Ugh!] then Rustin's could be the go on the outside too.

I dislike PolyU because with age it tends to star delaminating/peeling off from the rim, which looks... "tatty." But if you coat both the inside and the outside in it, it should be less of a problem. ie. the peeling is more of a hassle when the PolyU stops at the lip, such as when used only on the inside. I assume it's 'cos of the transition.

Good luck with the tankards: English Oak is a good choice! :2tsup:

orraloon
25th September 2009, 08:50 PM
The other option is no finish at all. I have a bit of oak board (offcut from a boat yard) that has been used as a chopping board for 30 odd years and is still in good shape with no coating of any kind. Gets the odd go in the dishwasher too. It does look weathered but it is still looking like oak. Ye olde ale tankards would have been bare wood.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th September 2009, 10:33 PM
:yes:

Unfinished Oak is good for quaffing beers, etc. The first few may taste crappy, but then it comes good. DAMHIKT. :cheers2:

It's when you drink wine outta 'em that sealing becomes an issue. 'Specially reds. If the drinker uses words like "bouquet" and "complexity," then sealing is de rigeur... but if they're drinking out of a wooden tankard in the first place, then one can't help but wonder if "poseur" should be in their vocabulary too. :;:p

thefixer
26th September 2009, 12:13 AM

Unfinished Oak is good for quaffing beers, etc. The first few may taste crappy, but then it comes good. DAMHIKT. :cheers2:

It's when you drink wine outta 'em that sealing becomes an issue. 'Specially reds. If the drinker uses words like "bouquet" and "complexity," then sealing is de rigeur... but if they're drinking out of a wooden tankard in the first place, then one can't help but wonder if "poseur" should be in their vocabulary too. :;:p

Hmmmm, Bilingual as well as other things:D:D

tea lady
26th September 2009, 12:25 AM
Woodwould had some turned plates that had been just chucked in the dishwasher on a regular basiss. Looked great. Very peasanty, but also a great patina. Knife marks and everything. :cool: I guess that wouldn't happen on tankards!:doh::rolleyes:

What about the amonia fuming that they do on oak furniture to make a dark colour? Would you do that on oak turnings? :? I don't really like the like colour of oak, and I've got a bit to turn at the moment. :cool: (I like the madullury rays though.:D )

wheelinround
26th September 2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks Skew & Orraloon will take all into consideration.

I am phissed that some cracks and a bloody big knot right at the top may void the whole project. Filling/stabalizing may ruin the whole look.

I agree ye old ale tankards would have been without a finish, just years of Mead stains.....which I reckon would have sealed it in no time.

munruben
26th September 2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks Ray How about X X X X or VB Ray.?:)

pugwash
26th September 2009, 12:39 PM
A guy I knew in England Made tankards in both leather and wood. He used to line them with black pitch. Totally waterproof and no taste.

Gil Jones
26th September 2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Ray,
How about glass tankards for the brewski, and a couple of nice lidded boxes from the Oak chunks.

ElizaLeahy
26th September 2009, 05:37 PM

Rum

munruben
26th September 2009, 10:29 PM
RumI'm with you Eliza:)

Frank&Earnest
26th September 2009, 11:41 PM

My compliments, only one spelling mistake, better than my English...:D From a logic point of view, though, if somebody speaks of bouquet and drinks out of a tankard, I would say that "pi$$ed" is more likely applicable than "poseur" :wink:

Ozkaban
29th September 2009, 12:15 PM
I am phissed that some cracks and a bloody big knot right at the top may void the whole project. Filling/stabalizing may ruin the whole look.

If there's a couple of cracks, one of the nice irish brews like Guiness should plug it nicely :D Might affect the flavour of the rum later on though!

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
29th September 2009, 05:43 PM
If there's a couple of cracks, one of the nice irish brews like Guiness should plug it nicely :D Might affect the flavour of the rum later on though!

Cheers,
Dave

Will it fill knot void's n hole's Dave:doh:

Ozkaban
29th September 2009, 06:01 PM
Will it fill knot void's n hole's Dave:doh:

Probably :2tsup:. Have you ever drunk the real stuff? Not the #@$@#! we get here in OZ :no:

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
29th September 2009, 06:04 PM
Probably :2tsup:. Have you ever drunk the real stuff? Not the #@$@#! we get here in OZ :no:

Cheers,
Dave

Never tried it one drink I wish I had, as alcohol effects arthritis won't be now.

wheelinround
6th October 2009, 04:40 PM
I had a small piece to play with before embarking on the tankards (well while the voids are being filled and epoxy drying)

English Oak and Aussie Jarrah

can be used as a wine glass with a lid to stop bugs swimming.

First Gobblet First Captive ring smallest finial to date thinnest stem to date.

Sawdust Maker
6th October 2009, 04:47 PM
looking good :2tsup:

Like the last piccy ... looks like it might be whistling at somebody passing by :U

tea lady
6th October 2009, 07:02 PM
Never tried it one drink I wish I had, as alcohol effects arthritis won't be now. :oo: Does it? How? :think: I have oesteo arthritis in my neck that gets really bad every now and then. Wonder if it is effected. :?

I like the oak wine cup too. :2tsup:

wheelinround
7th October 2009, 03:15 PM
:oo: Does it? How? :think: I have oesteo arthritis in my neck that gets really bad every now and then. Wonder if it is effected. :?

I like the oak wine cup too. :2tsup:

Do a google TL alcohol has sugar, alcohol dry's stuff out,dehydrates, irritates and causes swelling of the arthirtis Osteo or otherwise. Drink plenty of water, tea with honey natural anti-inflamitory seek medical advice.

tea lady
7th October 2009, 05:22 PM
Do a google TL alcohol has sugar, alcohol dry's stuff out,dehydrates, irritates and causes swelling of the arthirtis Osteo or otherwise. Drink plenty of water, tea with honey natural anti-inflamitory seek medical advice. Will do. The doc last time said that I should just take panadol when It is too sore. But It would be good too track down what will make it worst.:cool:

Frank&Earnest
7th October 2009, 06:50 PM
Will do. The doc last time said that I should just take panadol when It is too sore. But It would be good too track down what will make it worst.:cool:

You are lucky. The doc last time I asked what to do for the long term answered " don't worry about the long term".:oo: :((