PDA

View Full Version : GMC Lathe - good/bad?

Kris.Parker1
4th August 2004, 01:18 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the GMC lathes that you can buy in Bunnings? Are they any good or should I get something else? Any help would be great.

Babytoolman
4th August 2004, 01:54 PM
Kris,
I looked at the GMC lathes and read allot here as others have talked about these lathes and i ended up buying a MC900 from Gasweld for $379.00. Some of the of the others have got a deal from Carbatech for the same price and an extra 20 will get you a chuck. I ende up buying the VM120 as my chuck.
Mate have a look at one of these.

Roger

smidsy
4th August 2004, 04:02 PM
Hei Chris,
Do a search here and you will find lots on the GMC lathe - and only good comments are in the boating section under anchors.

The GMC lathe is poorly made - the steel tube bed flexes, the head and tail stock & tool rest are flimsy (the one I saw at Bunnies had a broken tool rest already) it is only 4 speeds and those speeds are hard to change.

The best beginner lathe you can get is the MC900, sold in various colours by Carbatec, Timbecon and others.
This lathe has a cast iron bed, #2 morse taper for the head and tail stock, (which means most accessories will fit, and the GMC does not have morse tapers which means you are very limited to what will fit) the head is rotatable (the size of the work you can turn is dictated by the space between the output shaft and the lathe bed, a rotatable head means that you can turn the head to hang larger pieces off the side of the lathe) and it has a 3/4 hp motor as opposed to the 1/2hp on the GMC. The other great feature is that the speed control on the MC900 is by way of a variable pulley operated from a lever on the front - I really notice this when I'm at my wood turning group and spend half my time changing V belts.

Also, the GMC does not come with a stand which means you have make a bench for it before you can play. The MC900 comes with a stand which while only being pressed steel is more than adequate to start - my MC900 is on the stock legs and I have turned 200mm square by 100mm thick lumps of jarrah with no hassles.

Carbatec Perth are doing a deal on the MC900 - $459 for the lathe complete with a scroll chuck (a chinese copy but works well) and a set of chisels.
Obviously it's a bit big for the post but see what deal they do on freight.

When I first got the idea of a wood lathe I looked at the GMC but thankfully the people here talked me out of it, I have had the MC900 for about 3 months and I am wrapted with it. Even though it's chinese the quality is good, what impressed me when I opened the box was the packing quality - masses of foam & padding and all bare surfaces were wrapped in grease paper.

Whether it's the Carbatec version or someone else, go for the MC900 - you may baulk at the money (like I did) but you won't regret it once you start playing.
Sorry if I sound like an MC900 salesman - I'm just a very happy owner.
Cheers
Smidsy

Ozartisan
4th August 2004, 06:49 PM
Kris
I have a GMC lathe - bought it before talking to any experienced turners.
It did last me a month or so of dangerous learning to turn - now the proud owner of a Nova DVR.
All I can say is - start with something cast iron! I agree - the MC900 in it's various badges is about the best low budget way to start.
A word of advice from another newbie - spend your money on good chisels & a way to get/keep them sharp. Join a club or do a course - better to learn from other's experience!
BTW - know anyone who wants a clapped out, dust covered GMC lathe!!
Happy turning
Peter
Happyinsydney

smidsy
4th August 2004, 07:14 PM
Hei Peter,
Apparently the GMC's make a good sander - ditch the tail end and mount a sanding disk on the head.

As for chisels, there are pro & cons for cheap and dear.
The 6 piece HSS set that Carbatec and Timbecon sell are a good set for starters. They're a decent range of chisels, once sharpened they work pretty well and they are relativelly cheap which is good because an integral part of this game is learning to sharpen chisels - those chisels are good enough to turn with but cheap enough to learn sharpening on so you know what you're doing when you buy good chisels.
I have the 6 piece set which works well, and so far I have added a 12mm skew chisel (hamlett) and a 10mm scraper which I made myself from a tool steel blank.
Cheers
Smidsy

Ozartisan
4th August 2004, 10:21 PM
Smidsy
Yep - just waiting for the time (& space) to convert/setup the GMC to a sander.
Agree withyou re tools - don't have to get "the best" at first - but still stay away from horribly soft "Bunnies" turning tools.
Also suggest new turners get into the habit of face / lung protection from the beginning - my Triton dust mask/filter & Carba-Tec dust extractor have become invaluable.
Peter
Happyinsydney

smidsy
4th August 2004, 10:31 PM
Hei Peter,
Good point on the face & lung protection - I was quite suprised to see that I was the only person wearing safety specs when I joined the local turning group.

My lathe is set up temporarily in the garage because we'll be moving in the next 6 months, but when we move I plan on getting a dust extractor.
Cheers
Smidsy

adrian
5th August 2004, 10:24 AM
Speaking of face protection, what types do you people prefer. I wear a full face visor but the problem is that it's difficult to keep them clean without the dust scratching the visor. What is visability like in the Triton model? Is it reasonably scratch resistant?

smidsy
5th August 2004, 05:54 PM
Hei Adrian,
I find that the face masks tend to fog up so I just use safety glasses and I don't bother with a duct mask although I suppose I should for sanding at least.

Cheers
Smidsy

rsser
5th August 2004, 06:25 PM
Adrian .. Good idea to wear one - it's only a matter of time before .... *!$$

To clean, wash the thing with a mild detergent solution; don't rinse it too thoroughly - a bit of residue reduces fogging and the electrostatic charge.

You could also try the overlays made for the Trend Airshield (see www.mik.com.au)

And smidsy, sorry mate, but it's only a matter of time before your lungs say no - an ounce of prevention etc etc

RETIRED
5th August 2004, 06:48 PM
Gooday. The best way I have found to keep glasses and shields clean without static build up is to blow them off with a compressor (or the air line from one:D)

Ozartisan
5th August 2004, 06:53 PM
Adrian
I have a Triton - no probs with fogging - as long as the battery pack is charged!
The hard hat, although a little cumbersome, has saved a scratch or 2 on my bald head!
I have been wearing specs almost all my life, so I guess I am used to looking through dirty glass!
I am reassured every time I clean tehe pre filter (which resides on my back) & see how much dust it has collected - thinking it could have been irritating my airways!!
Glad I went mad at the Sydney Wood Show & bought it!
:D

adrian
5th August 2004, 08:10 PM
Smidsy.
Judging by the amount of dust that settles on the inside and outside of my full face visor there is a very real problem with dust. I have heard it said that long term exposure to any type of dust (wood, flour, cement, etc) will have similar effects to asbestos. The majority of the people who worked with that stuff didn't suffer any illeffects but I wouldn't want to be one of the unlucky ones who did.
I have installed two 90mm pipes from my dust extractor to my lathe bench. One is at the back of the headstock and gets most of the dust when I'm sanding. When I'm turning I cap that one and open the one that's positioned slightly above my face. I've seen enough people suffer long term lung disease to want to make sure it doesn't happen to me.

rsser
5th August 2004, 09:07 PM
Everything helps.

But a dust extractor so-called is more like a chip extractor. For fine air-borne particles, some of which are too small to see, you need a filtered mask and/or an air filter.

I use both, along with a low-pressure high volume extractor fan with a flexible duct next to the work piece; I'm paranoid, but when the bastards really are after you.... ;-}

rsser, aka Ern

smidsy
5th August 2004, 09:07 PM
Hei Adrian,
I'm aware that dust is an issue, when we move in the next few months I plan on getting a dust extractor system - I'm thinking a wide mouth inlet mounted directly under the bed near the head where most of the work is done.
Unfortunately because we are moving in the next 6 months my current set up is somewhat temporary.
Cheers
Smidsy

Kris.Parker1
5th August 2004, 09:51 PM
Guys, thanks for the tip. I will make sure I go and get value for money then and not cheap and nasty equipment.

Cheers

Kris

Tony Morton
5th August 2004, 10:30 PM
Hi Guys
Re the dust extraction and turning most dust extractors only work if located in another room as the harmful particals are blown out through the bag on extractor. I use a Air flow filter when working only use dust extractor for cleen up after sweeping up the bigger stuff, I also have installed just above working area a room filter which opperates for 2 hours after I leave the workshop this removes most of the airborn dust in room. Yes these units are cumbersome but I seem to breath easier and dont have so much conjestion now I anm using this set up , happy turning
cheers Tony

adrian
7th August 2004, 11:51 AM
Smidsy.
I thought about putting a large extraction port behind or underneath the lathe but after about a weeks experience on the lathe I knew it was a lost cause. Mine is only the 1hp model from Gasweld and the only shavings it will intercept are the ones that are heading roughly in the direction of the pipe. It will, however, extract dust very well. The extractor is in the laundry so any dust that does get through the bag is no problem.
Because of the window directly behind my lathe I can see the dust very clearly and the two 90mm pipes I have installed pull dust from about a 1 metre area. I have one of those IPlex 90mm-40mm pipe reduction fittings (a couple of dollars) with a vacuum hose attached. I plug it into the 90mm pipe when I have finished for the day or need to get rid of excess shavings. The suction reduces a hell of a lot but it is good enough to clean up the area around the bench and floor.

smidsy
7th August 2004, 03:14 PM
Hei Adrian,
My set up is somewhat temporary because we'll be moving in the next 6 months and it simply doesn't allow for an extractor inside or outside.

When we move I plan on building an "out shed" next to my shed to house the compressor and dust extractor - I'll do this for both noise and dust.
I think (I may be wrong) that it's mainly the dust and small particles that we need to worry about, so as long as an extractor will get those, I think the issue of shavings is a side issue.
One thing I had thought of doing is clipping a vacuum hose on my roughing gouge because I find that the really bulk amounts of mess are made during the roughing.
To be honest I am not overly fussed about the mess because that is part of the fun of the lathe - although I do use an air hose to clean my lathe at the end of each session.
Cheers
Smidsy

Sprog
8th August 2004, 02:00 AM
One thing I had thought of doing is clipping a vacuum hose on my roughing gouge because I find that the really bulk amounts of mess are made during the roughing.

Cheers
Smidsy

I saw in another newsgroup where someone had made a gouge from a metal tube tipped with tool steel and then attached a vacuum hose to the end, supposedly worked very well at catching the chips.

Kev-in Melb
8th August 2004, 02:34 AM
Dust.... the down side to woodworking.

Like the idea of turning the GMC type lathe in to a disk sander. Does anyone else have any ideas for turning this head stock and motor in to something usefull?

I was thinking of attaching two buffing disks to mine that's just siting in the garage collecting dust (and that's not wood dust)

Kev

smidsy
8th August 2004, 02:37 AM
You could stand the head stock on its end and use it as a potters wheel.
Cheers
Paul
(AKA Smidsy)

DeViAtE
11th August 2004, 04:28 AM
Well this being my first post, perhaps I shouldn't go all out... ;)

I realy don't see what is so bad about a cheap GMC lathe! Sure you could use it for an anchor, but face reality.. An anchor is _more_ expencive!

It's a cheap piece of poop and I've spent more on my chisels (which I should add aren't exactly expencive either) than I have on the lathe, how can one complain when faced with costs like that?

I think my GMC lathe is even more wonderful now after hearing your ideas for its uses after it has worn out its use as a lathe (no doubt when I want something bigger) and since it's only $99 I'll certainly find something good to do with it. But as for now, I'm a very content amateur to this hobby/business and I will definantly be asking your advise on what I should upgrade to in the future (eg, when I break this lathe!). :)

smidsy
11th August 2004, 12:28 PM
When you decide you want to upgrade there is no competition, the MC900 is the way to go.
Do a search here on the MC900 and you'll see why.
Cheers
Paul

DeViAtE
11th August 2004, 02:22 PM
The first thing google found was a bicycle... ;)

http://www.newagemultimedia.com/woodwork/lathes.html

Thats what I found after some looking, and I must say it does lot a LOT more solid than a GMC lathe, thats for sure. However the $449 is steep compared to $99.. However when I do decide to upgrade it looks like my choice has been made for me!

Out of curiosity, what do you think will happen to the GMC lathe after a while? I know the ways are shocking, and whoever designed them should be shot, but apart from that I can't realy see much of a problem with it.. Baring in mind all I'm good at is computers and fixing fax machines and printers so my knowledge of mechanics is only fairy rescently obtained and rather limited at this stage.. Give me a month or two ;)

smidsy
11th August 2004, 03:32 PM
Not sure where you got the $449 from, Carbatec are showing it for $379. The current blurb from Carbatec WA shows a deal with the lathe plus a chsel set ($99 retail) and a chuck ($150 retail) for $459. The chisel set in the deal is chinese but a great beginners set, the chuck is a chinese copy of the Bonham, worth realistically about $70 and a good start for beginners.
It's true that the MC and the GMC are both lathes, but it's like saying a postie bike and 500cc GP racer are both motor bikes.
One thing to remember about the MC900 is that it is sold in various colours by lots of places so you can shop around and get a good deal.

Cheers
Smidsy

rsser
11th August 2004, 05:42 PM
Know what you're saying Smidsy, but a postie bike
* is cheap to buy second hand and readily available
* is the most common bike in the country
* runs well on the smell of an oily rag
* is easy and cheap to get parts for
* is capable of tours of several thousand k's
* is known to have clocked up as much as 70k k before a rebuild!

So the MC900 is the postie bike of lathes, and the GMC a motorised pushbike ;-}

rsser, aka Ern

DeViAtE
11th August 2004, 06:22 PM
First off Smidsy, I got the price from the URL I posted..

Hehehe I like this place - there's currently 4 dismembered postie bikes in my back yard (a postman lives here) so I find all these bike->lathe comparisons amusing!

A Little story about the GMC that couldn't.

The first tail stock for my lathe broke the first time I used it - it wasn't cast properly and simply snapped when I screwed it into the wood a bit.

I got the replacement a week and a bit later! Of course some stupid courier has dropped it, so the plastic (joy..) handle had partially broken.. Thankfully I'm good with staples and a soldering iron ;)

Even after all this crap, I'm still impressed with a $99 lathe :) Though I'm sure when I get a '600cc' lathe, I'll complain and whinge about my motorised bicycle and will promptly turn it into a sanding anchor. :P

smidsy
11th August 2004, 08:00 PM
Hei Ern,
Are you describing a postie bike or my ex - although she wasn't cheap to run.

In regard to the MC900 Deviate, look around because you'll do a better price than that. There's Carbatec in Sydney (Auburn wherever that is) and the MC900 is sold in various colours by a few places so you can do yourself a good deal.
When you get the MC900 you'll have to write us a review and give us some direct comparisons between the two.
Cheers
Paul
(AKA Smidsy)

DeViAtE
11th August 2004, 09:14 PM
Sounds like a plan! I'm hoping to get away with this lathe for a few months... But that probably won't happen :)

smidsy
11th August 2004, 09:42 PM
One thing I think about as I've been following this thread is that the GMC lathe does not have morse tapers on the head or tail stock, whereas the MC900 and most other lathes have a number 2 morse taper.
Keep this in mind if you want to buy a pen mandrel, drill chuck or anything else for the head or tail stock because they won't fit the MC900.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
11th August 2004, 10:07 PM
Do yourself a favour and do a search on the GMC lathe on this board and you'll get all the essays that I and others wrote when Smidsy asked the same question originally.
If you get hurt using this contraption....you only have yourself to blame, once you have read the archives.
Good luck, you'll need it.

DeViAtE
11th August 2004, 11:58 PM
Hmmmmmm.... I'll do that now that you mention it!

If I find anything about tail stocks breaking then this one is going straight back, or being turned into a disc sander.

I got my second tail stock back today, it's been dropped in transport and is broken. Still useable, but broken and unsafe none the less...

*off to search the forums*

Oh yeah, if I get hurt does anyone know how likely I am to win in court? *chuckles* Oh how I wish I was one of the people who do that sort of thing.

smidsy
12th August 2004, 12:03 AM
I had a GMC disc/belt sander about 3 years ago - the motor lasted about a week past the warranty even though it was only getting very light use with Balsa and 1/4 inch ply.
That lathe will probably make a better disc sander than the thing they make as a disc sander.
Cheers
Paul

DeViAtE
12th August 2004, 12:44 AM
More than likely! I've read up a few posts on this lathe.. I'm becoming more and more concerned about the tail stock breaking (as I've had two broken already, one when i screwed the tailstock into the blank and it went TWANG! and the other was dropped during transport), the banjo breaking (which wouldnt be *too* bad) and the ways bending.

If this thing cost about $20 more I might consider being upset, perhaps even annoyed. But I think if I can get a damned tailstock that isn't f*cked up before I get the damned thing home then I'll be happy for a few months.

After seeing the prices of tools mentioned on here, I think either I have 3 good quality chisels or I got ripped off.. $140 for a set of 3 chisels, I'm not sure what the tools themselves are called but one is pretty blunt and rounded, another is about 2cms wide and is angled on the end (about 25 degrees) and the last is a thin chisel about 3/4 a cm wide and straight..

I want to get a set of realy realy cheap chisels to practise sharpening on, as I've got no idea how to do it. :)

Also a question for anyone who's managed to get hurt by a GMC lathe, or something realy bad has happened etc... Were you treating the lathe like it was a $99 piece of Chinese Doo Doo, or were you treating it like it was an industrial lathe like the ones at school?

smidsy
12th August 2004, 12:58 AM
Hei Dev,
I think there is chinese and chinese.
One thing that impressed me (sorry if I'm harping on) when I got the MC900 home was the level of packing - masses of foam, everything well packed, greased, padded and grease paper on every bare surface.

Here is a link for the woodturning section of a Perth shop called Timbecon, it has a great online selection of chisels with pics so it might be a good reference source for you in terms of working out what chisels you have.
http://www.timbecon.com.au/browsesubcat.asp?parentid=12479

In terms of a set of chisels, check out this set that carbatec and others sell for $99.
http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-718public__0-0.html?cache=no

This set is a good chinese and they are a balance because they are good enough to do some decent work with but cheap enough to kill on sharpening practice. This is the set that I have.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
12th August 2004, 01:02 AM
For cheap turning tools, Carbatec has a set of 6 at around $95, Casrbatec in Perth have them on a special for August according to their specials mail flyer at $84-00. Quality is excellent for the price.

Get rid of the lathe u have if you can, you'll be doing yourself a huge favour.

smidsy
12th August 2004, 01:17 AM
Hei Gatiep,
That's an interesting pic - looks like an R/C size gas turbine?
Paul

gatiep
12th August 2004, 01:27 AM
yep, that is exacketly what it is. I built it up.

DeViAtE
12th August 2004, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the site smidsy, when I'm not so miffed about life, the universe and everything I'll check it out and make a list of what I got.. As for now I'm just contemplating life. :)

gatiep, This is annoying.. Because I know you have all the experience that I want, I want to convert this lathe to a sander and buy a new one.. the problem is that currently I'm only working 1-2 days a week, so I have all week to do whatever with and relax/recover from doing tech support for too long.. Which also means I barly have enough money to make do as it is.

In the past 2 months, I've spent over $1200 on cheap powertools.. My plan here is that I'm hoping they will have problems and break etc so I have an excuse to fix things! With all this talk about just exactly how bad this lathe is I'm extremely tempted to get a better one.

In your opinion, would it be best to scrap the GMC now, go out tomorrow and buy an MC900 or something, or learn on this one for a while (that way i can blame everything that goes wrong on the lathe) and then get a new one when I do actually realise just how crap this one is..

I want to do the second, but is this lathe seriously that bad? Realise that I'm expecting a $99 lathe, not something that I would actually use other than to stuff about on, my concern is bits flying off it mainly, not the quality of my work (because it's going to suck anyhow).

smidsy
12th August 2004, 01:52 AM
Hei Dev,
Do a search of this forum for GMC or GMC lathe and you'll see the info from when Joe and others posted in answer to threads from me and others.

The other thing, how long have you had the GMC because they do have a 30 day not happy refund so if you're still in this time it might be worth returning it and putting the $99 toward another lathe.
Paul

DeViAtE
12th August 2004, 01:54 AM
I just checked out my chisels.. I'll have to look into exactly what they're called because I can't make heads or tails of those websites unfortunantly (I didn't exactly try hard) however...

Upon looking at these chisels, they're 'CraftMaster' brand, labeled 'DIAMIC' .. Henry Taylor Tools limited. This is the bit that I liked.. 'Sheffield England'. Now does that mean I'm stuffing around with tools made of Sheffield steel and that I should perhaps take a bit more care of them than I have been? I'll look into buying a cheaper set to learn how to sharpen on anyhow, but I'm curious as to wether I should have paid $140 for these 3 or not.. :)

DeViAtE
12th August 2004, 01:57 AM
Hei Dev,
Do a search of this forum for GMC or GMC lathe and you'll see the info from when Joe and others posted in answer to threads from me and others.

The other thing, how long have you had the GMC because they do have a 30 day not happy refund so if you're still in this time it might be worth returning it and putting the $99 toward another lathe.
Paul
I'm tempted.. *very* tempted.. However the idea of converting it to a disc sander just sounds like so much fun! I've just built myself my first workbench and a small shelf.. Also a drawer.. I'm feeling pretty good about myself considering the most I did at school in woodwork was made a box, so it would be a good project for a while.

gatiep
12th August 2004, 01:57 AM
Dev

I've been around long enough to know that heaps of people get despondent with that same unit. You seem to be pretty low at the moment and the last thing you need is a thing ( can't call it what it says on the label )to push you down further. I have seen people that are very promising turners with potential , just give up because of it and I have seen people who got hurt. I am sure you got my views on it when you did a search. Nothing has happened in the interim to change my view. I have one with a diferent name here that was dumped on me and I cannot get myself so far as to even turn it into a disc sander.
You have had the experience with the tailstock...two broken ????? That is 2 too much. I have tipped an MC900 over accidently, it fell on its front side, I picked it up, inspected it and proceeded to mount timber and turn. I don't tip lathes for fun, but on moving the lathe on two fridge trolleys, the one trolley decided it wasn't going to co-operate.....in short the lathe fell on its face.
I realise that finances can be tight, been there many times, but hey ones life and health is worth more than 99 bucks. From your tone and the message under your name I can gather that you are stressed and frustrated..... I just don't think that you need to get more stressed and frustrated by the 'thing'.
Anyway, you have the facts, I cannot make the decision for you. Life is a tuff hobby, don't make it unnecessarily tuffer on yourself.

I've survived a bomb blast, a heart attack, a cancer op, prospects of having another op soon..........................
Have a good night, catch ya to morrow.............I can assure you the sun will shine brighter soon....just be positive and hang in there mate

DeViAtE
12th August 2004, 02:03 AM
gatiep (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=1864), I'm high in moral and certainly not going to give up soon. Some people mistake my pessamistic opinions on things as me being a pessimest, however I'm a realist luckily enough. I'm unlikely to let a cheap piece of poop ruin my plans. However if this lathe is actually unsafe to use (and hearing about 3 solid metal castings that have broken.. two being mine) I think you're right, and I'll look around into buying a new lathe as soon as possible.

I like the sounds of the lathe you dropped! Anything that can handle a fall like that has got to be made solidly!
<script type="text/javascript">*vbmenu_register("postmenu_76927", true); </script>

barnsey
12th August 2004, 02:16 AM
With all due respect - the Bunnings lathe is pretend (use any other derogative adjective you like). I have a number of cheapo tools and I know their limitations - they work fine within their limitations. You must all have driven different cars where they have different characters.

So too with tools - a skilled worker can produce miracles with limited resources and would never blame the tool - an unskilled one has too many variables which inevitably leads too the fault of the tool.

Sounds to me like the theories surrounding young drivers!!!

When starting out - learn to appreciate the limits of your ability rather than blame the machine for running up someones bumper and then saying it was their fault.

The MC 900 is a more than adequate machine to produce fine work in the hands of one who has mastered some of the skills. If you don't overload it, it is quite capable of significant quality - and miles in front of the Bunnies unit.

End of sermon - Goodnight

smidsy
12th August 2004, 02:19 AM
Dev,
Believe me, this sucker is solid.
I've turned 200mm square by 100mm thick lumps of Jarrah on it and I've turned 80mm square 400mm long pieces of Jarrah on it.
I've also turned pens on it so it is also fine enough for delicate work.
Paul

DeViAtE
12th August 2004, 02:28 AM
This lathe is worth less than my tools, I'd rather drop the lathe than my chisels. I've been repairing faxes and printers and stuff for quite a while so design concepts, pros and cons both spring to mind when I look at something like this and I can pretty much tell you all the flaws it has, or will have in the future.

Blaming a cheap lathe for my errors is only an excuse, it's like me blaming gravity whenever I drop something! It IS the lathes fault when I stuff something up because its not a $60K CNC lathe, its a crappy $99 dodge job, in the same way that if gravity didn't exist I'd never drop anything.

I should mention that I don't drive.. I hate cars and drivers and simply too stupid for me to risk getting on a motorbike. So I spend my days in the shed now melting aluminium and generally making noise.

I think I'll stick with this lathe for a week or two, see what happens. I'm sure by then I'll want a MC 900 simply for more grunt.

Does anyone here have experience with Dust Extraction systems? Dust masks cause by humid breath to get inside my goggles and fog them up, it's realy annoying. I was thinking about using just a 240v fan with a tube, not to catch the chunks but just for the dust.. Any good?

DeViAtE
12th August 2004, 02:33 AM
Dev,
Believe me, this sucker is solid.
I've turned 200mm square by 100mm thick lumps of Jarrah on it and I've turned 80mm square 400mm long pieces of Jarrah on it.
I've also turned pens on it so it is also fine enough for delicate work.
Paul
Dang it now I realy want to buy it! You're all corperate advertisers aren't you?? I knew it! ;)

Hmmmmm... I suppose if this solid sucker is going to last me years then it would be worth it.. at $500 (rough pricing, including shipping etc) for this lathe, thats 1 GMC lathe a year for the next 5 years. Oh all this thinking is hurting my head, the decision has kind of already been made from your experiences so it's just a matter of convincing the side of my brain that looks after my money to let another $500 slip through.. I'm not even close to broke but I'm still a grand under what I should be.. (I'm a long term planner) :)

arose62
12th August 2004, 11:16 AM
DeViAtE,

FWIW, look up my posts regarding my el-cheapo lathe (GMC-type clone from SuperCheap Auto).

I'm aware of it's limitations, but I'm not going to just toss it out because it's not a DVR!

I'm working on my 92nd turned article, and have kept track of how much I've saved by using the lathe, and it's nearly paid for itself (and some Shellawax, and a chuck, and chisels, and ....)

If/when it breaks/dies, there's no way I'd buy another one; I'd go for a MC900 or DVR (depending on finances).

But for now, it's a working lathe, and IMHO, considerably better than the wooden pole lathes that produced millions of pieces of turned wood.

Cheers,
Andrew
Proud cheap-lathe-owner-and-user.

Kris.Parker1
1st September 2004, 05:18 PM
Well against the most of the replies, I went and purchased the GMC lathe as an interim. Suffice to say, I had no wood fly off or any major dramas but the engine is bloody noisy and makes weird noises. As a result sold it to a mate who wanted to turn some pens and said it'd be fine for small work. Went and purchased one from Carbatech. Much better, quiter, stabler, better, QUIETER and did I mention easier.

Thanks for the advice.

Ruffy
9th September 2004, 08:58 PM
I too bought the GMC lathe as a test/interim measure. It has been over 30 years since I last touched a lathe. So I bought the GMC as a cheap way of seeing whether or not I wanted to get back into doing some turning.

It proved a point to me and that was yes I still wanted to turn, so I used it for a few months, created lots of shavings and tried hard to get some basic principals down pat.

Too cut a long story short today I retired the GMC and am now the proud owner of a new MC900 bought from Carbatec during the Timber & Working with Wood show last weekend here in Canberra. Also got the Vicmarc 100 chuck to go with it. :D :D :D

Made a toothpick tonight just to get a feel for the difference and would like to say that there was a difference - a falmin' great big one. The MC900 is smoother quiter and feels completely better.

I am not complaining about the GMC it served well the prurpose for which I originally purchased it. ;)

Caliban
9th September 2004, 09:52 PM
Hi guys
I've read this whole post and the other one, and it looks like I won't buy the gmc now. :mad: So it means no lathe at all.
I'm surprised that not one of you has mentioned that only the carbatec version has the 30mm x 3.5 headstock thread the others(sherwood, gasweld, toolies etc) all have 1 inch x 10 tpi.
I also know that the woodfast ones we had at school all use the same as the carbatec one. Am I right in assuming that this is superior, or is it academic seeing as how I don't have any accessories yet and can buy them to suit either?
Confused now as well as not having the money to buy anything, so I suppose it doesn't matter.
Any thoughts?

rsser
10th September 2004, 07:27 AM
That spindle thread would make it compatible with the Vicmarcs, so you could use their faceplates, vacuum chuck etc.

But if my club members or mates mostly had 1 x 10 tpi there'd be an advantage in going for that - to leave your pieces mounted for swapping around.

Re Deviate's query on dust and fogging...

I rigged up an old kitchen extractor fan with a length of flexible ducting (about 20cm diameter) that ends just behind the work - this sucks a large proportion of dust out. Alongside that, I installed one of those 1/6 hp air filters to catch the small stuff that hangs in the air. And then when it's sanding time I don a Trend filtered visor. Wood dust is a carcinogen

Re fogging: filtered visor would take care of that, but in the meantime, try the diver's trick of a wipe of spit. Do it before there's dust in the air ;-}

barnsey
10th September 2004, 11:32 AM
Now I'm going to be a bit radical and probably wouldn't do it myself - indeed haven't ;)

If you are keen to try out the experience then buy the GMC or other cheapie to whet your appetite - would rather have you doing it than thinking you can't afford to. ;)

I think what I and others were trying to explain from our own experiences was that the better machines are better but more expensive. Through a stroke of fate - I now have my fathers Nova 3000 instead of the MC900. It's a much nicer machine but I hate the fact that I have to stop and move belts to change speeds. The MC900 was just a turn of the lever while it was running.

Fact is you can turn whatever you like as long as you learn what your machine is capable of and that of yourself. It's the old adage of buying the best you can afford. You'll know after a while whether your best is being limited buy the machine you are operating.

IMHO use the commercial line - "Just do it"

It'll be right for you

Jamie

Kris.Parker1
10th September 2004, 05:17 PM
Well, talk about kicking a dead horse, guys thanks vey much for the great input, I think we can now put this thread to sleep. Your input has been valuable and precise, obviously there is a swathe of experience out there. Check out the new poll and have your say. We may just work out how many millenia of experience we actually have on this web site.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=11463

Cheers

Kris

Jatz
22nd September 2004, 01:53 PM
Hi Guys, all my beginner questions answered in one hit. Thankyou!!