PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry box

Ad de Crom
27th September 2009, 12:16 AM
This jewelry box is for the 14th birhtday of my oldest granddaughter Elise.
She has now reached the age, that she's aware that she's now a pretty looking young lady, and for sure she is.
I made this box of yellow pine, had to glued two pieces together for the box, to get more height. These two pieces are cut of an old yellow pine table top, anyway this wood is completely dry, what important is for such a box with lid. And to be honest, I like it to turn yellow pine, not only for the very nice smell.
The axis dimensions of this box are 200x165mm, and with a total height of 67mm.
Not finished yet with blanc transparent lacquer.
Cheers, Ad

artme
27th September 2009, 04:59 AM
Good looking piece Ad. :2tsup::2tsup:

Should look really good when the finish is applied.

Ad de Crom
27th September 2009, 05:45 AM
Good looking piece Ad. :2tsup::2tsup:

Should look really good when the finish is applied.
Thanks Arthur.
BTW, when are you coming back to down under?
Or do you like more the Brazilian carnival?

munruben
27th September 2009, 08:00 AM
Very nice AdC I'm sure your granddaughter will be delighted with it.. Something she can keep for all time. Great gift. Happy Birthday to Elise.:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
27th September 2009, 08:52 AM
Ad, this oval turning is very interesting! Looks like you are enjoying it :)

Your grand daughter will be pleased :)

artme
27th September 2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks Arthur.
BTW, when are you coming back to down under?
Or do you like more the Brazilian carnival?

Won't be back until May, Ad.

Have a cruise to take in January. Leave Buenos Aires, go to Montevideo, the Falklands, through the Straits of Magellan ( with excursions into Patagonia ) and then up to Valparaiso in Chile. Fly to Santiago and then back to Rio.

Wanted to do a trip through the Attacama Desert in Chile but haqve been advised against it because of my heart bypasses. Apparently gets to some pretty high altitudes.

Ed Reiss
27th September 2009, 12:13 PM
A really nice oval box for your grand-daughter, Ad :2tsup:

Old farmer
27th September 2009, 01:53 PM
artme, you have it really tough, don't you????!!

Enjoy what seems will be a wonderful trip.

Ad de Crom
27th September 2009, 05:00 PM
Won't be back until May, Ad.

Have a cruise to take in January. Leave Buenos Aires, go to Montevideo, the Falklands, through the Straits of Magellan ( with excursions into Patagonia ) and then up to Valparaiso in Chile. Fly to Santiago and then back to Rio.

Wanted to do a trip through the Attacama Desert in Chile but haqve been advised against it because of my heart bypasses. Apparently gets to some pretty high altitudes.
Artur, I knew you have been a long time on the road for making this wonderful trip around the world.
Only I was wondering why you are staying so long in Brasil, now it's fully clear for me.
Making such a cruise is great, I knew you had some problems with your heart, so be careful he, enjoy of this once in a lifetime great trip. I'm full of envy.
Ad

orraloon
27th September 2009, 05:06 PM
Very nice Ad,
Pine is so often overlooked but can be very good at times.
Regards
John

Ad de Crom
27th September 2009, 06:15 PM
Ad, this oval turning is very interesting! Looks like you are enjoying it :)

Your grand daughter will be pleased :)
yep it is Eliza, it's one big fun :)
Ad

Rum Pig
28th September 2009, 09:30 AM
That sure does look nice AD and I think any granddaughter would love it:2tsup:

Texian
28th September 2009, 02:31 PM
Looks great Ad. Hope you will show it with final finish.

jefferson
28th September 2009, 10:36 PM
Ad,

maybe one day I'll get into turning this oval stuff. You recent stuff appeals to me, expecially for my boxes, not bowls.

I've been "warned off" the Vicmarc Oval Turning Device (it looks OK to me, except for the price), so any advice would be appreciated.

And no, I cannot build whatever jig / device you came up with. Kitchens, tables (not chairs!) and display cabinets yes, but nothing too complicated.

Thanks in advance,

Ad de Crom
29th September 2009, 02:09 AM
Ad,

maybe one day I'll get into turning this oval stuff. You recent stuff appeals to me, expecially for my boxes, not bowls.

I've been "warned off" the Vicmarc Oval Turning Device (it looks OK to me, except for the price), so any advice would be appreciated.

And no, I cannot build whatever jig / device you came up with. Kitchens, tables (not chairs!) and display cabinets yes, but nothing too complicated.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff, sounds to me like a real warning, talking about the Vicmarc Oval device, but there is nothing wrong with the Vicmarc device, I'm agree with you about the price. To expensive for hobby guys like us. But my device is very simple to build, and not complicated at all. If you have the interest I'll send you the design. Let me know.
Ad
btw, there is a youtube video showing Alan Lacer working on the Vicmarc device YouTube - Oval Turning

jefferson
29th September 2009, 10:42 AM
Ad, thanks for the offer but it all looks too difficult! I don't turn bowls, at least not big ones.

As for the Vicmarc device.... something to look at in the future when my turning improves a lot. Quite a lot. :rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
29th September 2009, 11:35 AM
Wow...after watching the video my fingers, hands, and arms hurt all the way up to the elbow :o:C

Oval turning isn't for the faint of heart:no::no: ....Ad I have a new admiration for your oval turning activities:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
29th September 2009, 12:05 PM
How much vibration is there?

I thought it was like turning a winged bowl or something when I started the video, but then I realised that it always keeps the edge of the timber on the tool. If you cover the screen with your hand and just have the tool edge showing you can see that it is never on open air, always against the timber.

I have a feeling I would need a stronger lathe, bolted to the floor!

Ad de Crom
29th September 2009, 05:59 PM
How much vibration is there?

I thought it was like turning a winged bowl or something when I started the video, but then I realised that it always keeps the edge of the timber on the tool. If you cover the screen with your hand and just have the tool edge showing you can see that it is never on open air, always against the timber.

I have a feeling I would need a stronger lathe, bolted to the floor!
Eliza, I run with this thing 500 rpm, not much vibrations, because it works like a propeller around a cam with bearers who follows the excentric placed cam, in fact you get a smooth rotation over 360 degrees. There are also not counterweight.
My first prototype was based on the rockin headstock principle, needed counterweights on that prototype. Put this thing aside as not properly working.
Ad