PDA

View Full Version : serrated edges on tools???

ElizaLeahy
28th September 2009, 11:39 AM
My white stone was no longer white, and it wasn't sharpening well. At the suggestion of another forum member I bought a stone which cleaned it up beautifully! For awhile it also sharpened well again.

But now I'm getting tiny serrations along the edges of my tools that I have to hone off. It's horrifying.

Any suggestions? I'm a bit scared to go out and touch the tools again until I find out what's causing it.

Ed Reiss
28th September 2009, 12:00 PM
Eliza, I assume that you mean a white grinding wheel when you say "stone".

It could be that in use the wheel has developed tiny hills and valleys causing the "serration" condition. If so, then it's very possible that the wheel needs dressing, preferably with a diamond dresser.

Jim Carroll's shop should have them.

ElizaLeahy
28th September 2009, 12:03 PM
Oh kewl, I don't have to buy a new wheel then. I don't know though, maybe a new wheel would be cheaper then diamonds?

:wink:

I'm a few blocks from CarbaTec, so I'll see if they have them, if not I'll contact Jim.

Thanks!

Big Shed
28th September 2009, 12:16 PM
Eliza, I bought one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DIAMOND-DRESSER-GRINDING-WHEEL-DRESSER-DD_W0QQitemZ250500619639QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Business_Industrial_Construction_Industrial_Equipment?hash=item3a53001d77&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262) at the suggestion of another forumite and it does a great job, very quick and easy to get a nice flat surface on the grinding wheel again.

I use it both my normal grinder and the slow wet grinder.

At $15 delivered I thought it was good buy, the single point diamond dressers that places like Carbatec sell don't seem as easy to use.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th September 2009, 12:19 PM
The best type for you to buy would be a T-bar type dresser. eg. this 'un (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144917&product_id=1107453202) at Jims.

There are other, cheaper types, but they take more skill to use properly. :)

edit: beaten to it by Fred. :rolleyes:

petersemple
28th September 2009, 12:21 PM
I have bought one of the T-bar ones at Carba-Tec, so you should be right.

Peter

derekcohen
28th September 2009, 12:48 PM
My white stone was no longer white, and it wasn't sharpening well. At the suggestion of another forum member I bought a stone which cleaned it up beautifully! For awhile it also sharpened well again.

But now I'm getting tiny serrations along the edges of my tools that I have to hone off. It's horrifying.

Any suggestions? I'm a bit scared to go out and touch the tools again until I find out what's causing it.

Hi Eliza

Question - did you ever dress the original wheel? If not, it probably stopped grinding because it was glazed over. The glazed state would also have created a smooth surface. While this would also have generated a lot of heat, heat does not affect HSS turning chisels, so you would not have not have noticed this. However the now smooth surface would have acted like a finer stone and given the edge of your chisels a decent finish.... albeit very slowly. Now you have swapped out for a new wheel. It is not only not dressed, but it is coarser. It grinds much faster, but leaves more scratches than before.

Are the wheels the same grit? If so, you will not necessarily improve the surface scratches with dressing. All dressing does it remove the glazing and create a fresh, read-to-use surface. If you dressed your original stone you would get the same effect.

Answer: use two stones, one coarse (46 grit) to grind, and another (120) to provide a smoother finish. You can also add a motorised strop for a final finish if you wish.

Regards from Perth

Derek