PDA

View Full Version : laptop table stand

jow104
29th September 2009, 07:42 PM
I would like to make this item below before the end of the season, but I have got stuck in a rut the last two years making boxes.
Anyone got any plans or drawings available / advice on making such an item.
Timber would be solid wood, not laminates, and I have sycamore/Am.Ash, maple,sapele available.
The laptop would store on shelf above drawers, top would have boxes already made :) and drawers would have bills to be paid stored.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/tvtable4w.jpg

ian
30th September 2009, 12:26 AM
specifically what are you looking for ?

if in solid wood, the top would be a straight forward glue-up trimmed to size
attached to fairly conventional aprons which are M&T'd into the legs –
I'd use buttons to attach to the top
the legs look to be about 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 square with champhered corners

The drawer box
I don't like the way the grain goes up and down on the end rail rather than side to side as movement could spread the legs apart. The orientation of the grain implies veneer board.
In solid, I'd M&T -- split tenon (or domino with one pair of mortices expanded) the end rails into the legs but with the grain running side to side
ditto for the rear panel
for the drawers I'd go conventional with a 1x1 (or thereabouts) rail top and bottom (with the top rail covered by the drawer front)
the only question is then conventional drawer runners and kickers or slides — I'd go for slides
which means the drawer box is divided into three using web panels -- which in turn means that teh whole box could be an independent unit screwed to the legs

jow104
30th September 2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks Ian, that was the sort of direction I was looking for. I am thinking two drawers.

ian
1st October 2009, 01:17 AM
OK
are you looking for a set of plans? a sketch? or just some construction ideas?

The top is straight forward so let's not worry about it.

The legs and aprons.
given their small section (I think the wide dimension is horizontal), maybe the aprons should be dovetailed into the top of the legs. Overlaping half lap dovetails are a possibility.

the drawers could be a separate box or framed into the legs.
I think a separate box would be easiest and I'd use drawer slides -- which implies solid edged veneer board or ply for the verticle dividers
then the shelf would sit on the drawer box (and be attached to it) and the ends could be applied to the outside of the box — a possible canditate for a decorative veneer?

The drawers themselves
maybe simple housings and/or rebates with applied fronts

jow104
1st October 2009, 01:38 AM
Ian thanks for you suggestions, it would not be practical to obtain any veneered edged board here in the UK, its only obtainable trade outlets and 8x4 sheets.
I still like your drawers in a box idea and wonder if I could edge some ply with a batten.
I would then still need to close up the outside side area of drawer area at sides in addition to boxing in idea.
Most probably doing a WIP in the woodwork pictures section starting today.

ian
1st October 2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the veneered board
here in the UK, its only obtainable trade outlets and 8x4 sheets. here you can buy it in hardware stores cut into strips for book shelves – you just need to attach your own edging

I still like your drawers in a box idea and wonder if I could edge some ply with a batten.you should find edging ply pretty easy – all you really need is two mating faces (which can be qoff the saw if you have a fine tooth blade and zero clearance insert), glue and masking tape

to close up the outside ends you could also use ply — biscuit it into the legs or attach it to the drawer box
I think I'd do the latter after edging it both sides and on the bottom with a solid strip say 1/4" to 1/2" thick – put some sort of fine molding on the side strips to form a shadow line
the top of these panels will be hidden by the shelf.

I'll look out for your WIP