PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a bronze motor boat steering wheel

gordonwindeyer
30th September 2009, 07:20 AM
I am looking for advice/assistance in restoring a bronze steering wheel for a boat.
Here is a link to the boaties forum, which expands on the task...
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f32/advice-assistance-restoring-bronze-steering-wheel-105481/#post1041061
Any advice or assistance appreciated.

Regards

Gordon

pipeclay
30th September 2009, 12:26 PM
I dont mind having a look at it for you as far as the metal side goes,a lot will depend on how easy it is to remove the RUSTED bolts.

gordonwindeyer
1st October 2009, 02:44 PM
Dear Pipeclay
The bolts are well and truly corroded so it is unlikely that they can be removed intact.
I thought the best course would be to but them off, drill them out and then re-tap to clean out the residue of the bolt.
Does that make sense?
Also, whereabouts are you in Sydney?

Regards

Gordon

pipeclay
1st October 2009, 03:12 PM
That method is ok or it maybe possable to Spark Erode them but the cost might be too high.
Im at Erskine Park.

Retromilling
4th October 2009, 11:04 AM
Just cut them off , drill them out and retapp to a larger thread diameter .
Then machine up some new bolts from naval brass.

gordonwindeyer
5th October 2009, 06:05 AM
With Retromilling's advice in the other thread I ran at http://www.woodworkforums.com/f32/advice-assistance-restoring-bronze-steering-wheel-105481/#post1041061
I will be able to have ago at it myself.

Thanks all

Gordon

Dave J
5th October 2009, 02:10 PM
Before you try unscewing the bolts, heat the steel bolts to red hot and let cool, this will help break the rusted threads free. Works most of the time for me.
Dave

Retromilling
5th October 2009, 03:09 PM
Just be a bit careful with heating it up as steel at cherry red is at approx. 900 C.
Naval brass starts to melt at 888C . Heat is a good loosener for sure but I would not heat it up to any degree of red heat to be on the safe side.
By the time you get to cherry red on a thin bolt the main brass casting could be starting to get too hot.

Dave J
5th October 2009, 03:43 PM
If you only use propane you will be right and wont it bother the brass, thats all I use. I don't have the money for oxy/acetylene, it gets expensive with the rental of the mig gases.
Dave