PDA

View Full Version : Carroll's Web Upgrade

Jim Carroll
30th September 2009, 06:47 PM
Well after many many months and lots of fiddling we have upgraded our web site at Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies

Still at the same address www.cws.au.com
(http://carrolls.admin.sitesuite.net.au/index.html)

Also upgrade time on the email [email protected]

Any feedback welcome as we know there is some glitches but hopefully not too many.

Mulgabill
30th September 2009, 07:02 PM
G'day Jim & Irene!
Just had a quick browse of your site and the new look is classy, just like the Geelong Cats!:2tsup:

Old farmer
30th September 2009, 07:37 PM
This is petty, Jim, I know but in Craft Supplies, calendar'' is spelt incorrectly.

A linen woodworking apron I bought from you at the Sydney woodworking show is great to work in. Thanks.

Jim Carroll
30th September 2009, 08:02 PM
G'day Jim & Irene!
Just had a quick browse of your site and the new look is classy, just like the Geelong Cats!:2tsup:

Thanks Russell

WE ARE GEELONG THE GREATEST TEAM OF ALL {have to keep it down to a dull roar some complaints that we shouted too loud.}:D

Must get the spell checker back out.

Woodwould
1st October 2009, 09:52 AM
Very tidy Jim and more enjoyable to navigate. :thyel: I wish you ongoing success with it.

wheelinround
1st October 2009, 02:36 PM
Jim new look is good :2tsup: ............sorry there is a BUT hate the new images which are smaller when clicking on to see LARGER image.

Jim Carroll
2nd October 2009, 01:39 PM
Jim new look is good :2tsup: ............sorry there is a BUT hate the new images which are smaller when clicking on to see LARGER image.

Did not notice that before.

Will have to look a bit further :(

ratchet
10th October 2009, 04:43 PM
went there after a reply for pepper grinder working

could not find them

did a search under pepper grinder and got nowhere

went back and bit by bit managed to find them

maybe search function is not working or my " pepper grinder " request was wrong

I know search functions can be a bother sometimes , I know what I want but they do not speak my lingo .

Jim Carroll
10th October 2009, 05:28 PM
Sometimes you have to simplify your requests.

By putting in a specific word it can give you more choices then select from there .

If you had put in Pepper then a whole page opens up.

Thanks for having a look.

Gunado
10th October 2009, 07:44 PM
Jim, just checked out the up grades to your site, they are great a lot easier to find things.

Phill

munruben
10th October 2009, 08:33 PM
Looks good to me.:2tsup::2tsup:

John Saxton
10th October 2009, 08:43 PM
Looks Good Jim, the site is easily navigable and no worries finding things.

All the very best with the upgrades.

Can you downgrade the prices on the Lathes,I'll slip one in my bag and get the Missus to pay for it :D:D:D just joshin' ya.

Cheers:)

Sturdee
10th July 2010, 11:02 PM
Jim, further to our discussion today I still find that the search function doesn't work. I tried to search for "taper mate" , "tormek" and "pepper" and nothing happens.

Using Windows XP with Google Chrome.

Peter.

Big Shed
10th July 2010, 11:12 PM
Peter, don't know how Google Chrome works, but I use XP with Firefox and when I type in "taper mate" it brings up the correct item.

FYI, when I type in "taper", one of the search items returned is this one:

CWS Store - 2mt Acruline system | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/2mt-acruline-system)

Both "tormek" and "pepper" return items I would expect.

Mulgabill
11th July 2010, 11:03 AM
G'day Jim!
When using IE8 and I enter say "nova" in the search it returns an "Error on page" message, however when using FF it returns a message "Done" but not search is actually done.:?

DJ’s Timber
11th July 2010, 11:38 AM
Jim, further to our discussion today I still find that the search function doesn't work. I tried to search for "taper mate" , "tormek" and "pepper" and nothing happens.

Using Windows XP with Google Chrome.

Peter.

Using Vista with Google Chrome I tried searching for all 3 that Peter has quoted and I got results for all three :2tsup:

141450 141451 141452

Big Shed
11th July 2010, 01:15 PM
Does Google Chrome have something like Firefox's NoScript I wonder?

Sturdee
11th July 2010, 03:47 PM
Tried it again guys and no success.

When I press the arrow of the search box the following message appears at the bottom left of the screen " javascript:form.product_search.submit(); " and nothing happens. As soon as I move the cursor the message disappears.

The search request stays on the page and clears when I follow a link on the left.

I presume it's Google Chrome that causes some problem, but it's becoming an increasingly popular browser, so it may help Jim to find out and fix it.

Peter.

Jim Carroll
11th July 2010, 08:28 PM
Peter just down loaded the Google chrome and tried Tapermate in the search function and it come up as you indicated, no good.

Tried Taper Mate and got a positive result, then tried Taper and came up with a page full of results.

Russ tried Nova and also came up with a page full of results.

I think with the search mechanism if you keep your search to a minimum then the results will be positive.

Had a chat with number 1 son about the google chrome which he now uses and he indicated that it had some benfits but generally Mozilla is compatable with most things, the biggest thing he uses is the task bar at the top is the search area.

He was also able to use the search function with no problems.

Sturdee
11th July 2010, 11:37 PM
Tried Taper Mate and got a positive result, then tried Taper and came up with a page full of results.

Russ tried Nova and also came up with a page full of results.

Sorry Jim, but I tried those and nothing worked , tried other short ones like Chuck, Glues, Oil etc and still not work. Cleared cookies and made no difference. Maybe someone can explain it.

Peter.

Jim Carroll
12th July 2010, 10:20 AM
Peter what system are you running in the back ground.

Last night when i tried it I was using windows vista on my lap top

Tried it this morning on my shop computor with windows 7 and chuck comes up with a full page.

Depending on what you are using with the google chrome it may not be fully compatable.

You may be better to go back to mozilla firefox.

Big Shed
12th July 2010, 10:47 AM
JIm, Peter is using Win XP, see here

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f177/carrolls-web-upgrade-105610/#post1177952

I am still thinking that Google Chrome is blocking Java scripts in the same was that NoScript does for Firefox.

This is further reinforced by Peter's post here

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f177/carrolls-web-upgrade-105610/index2.html#post1178161

Whilst going to Firefox will fix Peter's problem, I think you need to be mindful of the fact that your potential customers can (and will) use a variety of browsers and Chrome is one of them. If your site doesn't handle Chrome, then you are shutting yourself off from a percentage of the visitors to your site.

Big Shed
12th July 2010, 11:01 AM
Peter, try this

How do you turn Javascript on/off? - Google Chrome Help (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=5e291648113cc731&hl=en)

Jim Carroll
12th July 2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks Fred, did not go far enough back for Peter.

As indicated though on several differnt computors not only mine that it does support Google chrome.

I am not sure why it would not discern between Tapermate and Taper mate.

Maybe our computor gurus have a better answer.

r3nov8or
12th July 2010, 04:07 PM
Do you mean the person that computes (computor) or the machine that computes (computer)

Sturdee
12th July 2010, 05:03 PM
JIm, Peter is using Win XP, see here

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f177/carrolls-web-upgrade-105610/#post1177952

I am still thinking that Google Chrome is blocking Java scripts in the same was that NoScript does for Firefox.

This is further reinforced by Peter's post here

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f177/carrolls-web-upgrade-105610/index2.html#post1178161

Whilst going to Firefox will fix Peter's problem, I think you need to be mindful of the fact that your potential customers can (and will) use a variety of browsers and Chrome is one of them. If your site doesn't handle Chrome, then you are shutting yourself off from a percentage of the visitors to your site.

Jim,

As Fred said I'm using Windows XP and Google Chrome (the latest version - no: 5.0.375.99). No other programs are open at the same time only the browser.

I deleted all cookies and contents and turned JavaScript of and still no success, so it has me beat.

We all use Windows XP and Chrome on our home network (5 computers) and on two others that I tried I can't do a search on your site either.

Changing a browser is not the issue for me as I can negotiate through your site using the menu's etc, just interested in solving a puzzle.:)

Peter.

Mulgabill
12th July 2010, 07:53 PM
G'day Jim!
As mentioned earlier I, like many others are still using XP with IE 8 or FF and unfortunately I have no choice in the matter. Not that the search function on CWS is a big issue for me, I'm just concerned for you and your prospective purchasers.

Grumpy John
12th July 2010, 08:10 PM
Jim, tried the new site and also had trouble with the search. Searched chuck, no result and error on page message in lower L/H corner.

Windows XP and IE8.

Big Shed
12th July 2010, 08:28 PM
Works for XP and FF, heaps of hits

Grumpy John
12th July 2010, 08:44 PM
Works for XP and FF, heaps of hits

That may be so Fred, but it doesn't work with IE8 and that's what I use.

Grumpy John
12th July 2010, 11:03 PM
O.K., some new developements.
If I try and do a search using the search window in the upper right of the screen nothing happens and I get the "Error on page" message. However if I click the "View Cart" line, then click "Continue Shopping" and use the new search window that opens up I can now do a successful search.

I hope I am clear about what I've just written.

RETIRED
12th July 2010, 11:33 PM
Same here.

Sturdee
12th July 2010, 11:36 PM
O.K., some new developements.
If I try and do a search using the search window in the upper right of the screen nothing happens and I get the "Error on page" message. However if I click the "View Cart" line, then click "Continue Shopping" and use the new search window that opens up I can now do a successful search.

I hope I am clear about what I've just written.

That works for me too, so the problem must be in the initial search box.

Peter.