PDA

View Full Version : Wooden geared clock -spring driven

nine fingers
3rd October 2009, 08:18 PM
A spring from an old clock is the drive for this wooden geared clock.
The largest wheel is 112mm diam with a diametral pitch of 15. Wheels were machined from Qld white beech, Lignum Vitae was used sparingly for bushes, arbor pivots ,timing wheel teeth (which is only 85 mm diam) and the escapement pallets.
The spring drive wheel has 64 teeth ,turning a 20 tooth gear on the main arbor,which gives a running time of 35 hours approx.
The small pinions (8 tooth ) were impossible to cut out of timber as they were only 16.8 mm diam o/a with a 9.5 mm arbor ,leaving nothing for the teeth. The only other option was a lantern type pinion with 2mm brass tube for the teeth which overcome this problem.
As this is a one off clock, what do I call it? it is 1300mm tall.
At my age things like this keep the mind active. nine fingers.

Pete L
4th October 2009, 09:21 PM
A very nice clock Nine Fingers. I would love to have made that.
The pendulum is extremely long. How long is it and what is the swing distance? It must run very slowly.

nine fingers
5th October 2009, 11:49 AM
A very nice clock Nine Fingers. I would love to have made that.
The pendulum is extremely long. How long is it and what is the swing distance? It must run very slowly.

Pete L. the clock is a one second beat, therefore the pendulum is 1 meter long , if a clock was made with a 1/2 second beat (120 times per minute ) the pendulum would be only 25 centimeters long. The swing is 100mm.
John

Clockgirl
5th October 2009, 07:08 PM
Wow that looks fantastic, I love the finish on the timber. How many hours did it take you to make?
I'm extremely impressed.

artme
6th October 2009, 09:07 AM
Love Clocks with wooden gears and this is another variation on the theme. Beautiful clock mate.

Christos
8th October 2009, 08:39 PM
I like the way you made this clock. You do not really get to know what it is until you look from the side.

roscopeeko
3rd November 2009, 03:33 PM
Very nice. congrats
cheers
sco

Chesand
3rd November 2009, 03:42 PM
Saw it in the flesh at Geelong last Sunday.

It is indeed a very nice piece.

TTIT
3rd November 2009, 04:29 PM
...........As this is a one off clock, what do I call it? "Matchless moments"

Great work John :2tsup: Off a plan or have you done the maths yourself???