PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Burl bowl

corbs
4th October 2009, 05:25 PM
This one is unfinished at the moment but I am going away for a week tomorrow and wanted to post it before I went. There was a significant crack in the blank so thought I would have a play. Execution isn't great but its a keeper for me. Finish on it at the moment is a couple of coats of thinned Feast Watson sanding sealer and will be finished off with Scandanavian Oil as its what I have. Still trying playing around with finishes but this one seems easy enough so far so will see how it pans out.

Gotta go now... footy's about to start....

GO STORM!!!
:2tsup::2tsup:

Mulgabill
4th October 2009, 06:05 PM
Good save Andrew! :2tsup:Look forward to seeing the finished piece. I like the Box Elder burl.

artme
4th October 2009, 10:29 PM
Lookin' good Corbs!! love the bow tie.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
4th October 2009, 10:34 PM
:U Love the band aide! :cool: Look forward to seeing it properly finished.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
5th October 2009, 12:19 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
6th October 2009, 03:31 PM
Bowl: :2tsup:

Footy: :bigcry::crash::tdown::weeping2::ranting2::Q

NeilS
6th October 2009, 03:38 PM
Nice work on the butterfly ties there Corbs, very George Nakashima-ish (see my sig :) ). Tricky to do, aren't they, but worth it for some pieces.

Sawdust Maker
6th October 2009, 04:51 PM
Nice bow tie
nice hunk of timber as well

Had a big storm here last night - that what you talking about :D

Willy Nelson
6th October 2009, 09:17 PM
Nice bowl there Corbs, it is a shame you don't have such good taste in your choice of Rugby League teams!!

Melbourne Storm, they will never win a grand final, flash in the pan if you ask me!!!!

corbs
10th October 2009, 11:13 AM
Well... back from Singapore and have put another coat of Scandinavian Oil on the bowl. Thanks for the comments so far and I will post pics once its finished:D

dr4g0nfly
14th October 2009, 06:25 AM
Looks like the Scarf is held in with 2 part Epoxy Resin (Araldite?) - how did it turn and did it affect the tools edges please?

corbs
14th October 2009, 12:54 PM
Dragonfly,
Its held in with two part west systems epoxy... I didn't notice any dulling on the tools either, bowls finished now too so will post some pics later :D

Corbs

corbs
14th October 2009, 07:39 PM
Here it is finished:)... scandanavian oil with traditional wax over the top. Still playing around to find my preferred finish but don't think this is it... its only early days for my bowl turning so lots to try out yet:2tsup:

artme
14th October 2009, 10:14 PM
Beauty Corbs!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: