PDA

View Full Version : Motor home Vs. caravan

Grumpy John
4th October 2009, 05:29 PM
Ern's thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f119/pilgrims-progress-104386/) has fired up the gypsy in me and got me planning a ~3 month trip north/west. Basically, Melbourne - Flinders Ranges - Coober Pedy - Alice - Broome - Pt. Hedland - Karajini Nat. Park. - Tom Price - Dampier - Exmouth - Perth - Esperance - Melbourne. I would like to use a 4WD and high ground clearance camper. I don't plan on being too gung-ho with the off-track stuff, but would hate to miss too much due to lack of ground clearance. The other option is a motor home, but I don't think this would suit the type of trip I have in mind.

I'm looking for opinions on either option, and any personal experiences, i.e did you go for a motor home and wished you'd chosen a caravan (or vise versa).

One of the main reasons I'm leaning toward a 4wd/caravan combo is at the end of the trip you can still use the 4wd as your daily ride, but it's a different story using a motor home as your regular drive. Anyhow any and all comments welcome.

Calm
4th October 2009, 07:59 PM
My thoughts are that with a motor home you have to pack everything everytime you want to move.

Whereas a caravan/trailer you just unhook and go (that means you leave the missus home to do the dishes and washing while you trip about):D:D:D

CHeers

bsrlee
6th October 2009, 08:24 PM
Much as Calm advises - not about the Missus tho', wouldn't want to walk 'funny' for a week. If you are looking to explore the odd corner then a caravan & 4WD will allow you to leave the caravan at the 'Van park & just go with a light load in the 4WD, even a small tent & bed rolls for an over nighter somewhere.

With a mobile home, you will always be driving a bus/truck sized vehicle - is the releif driver up to driving a bus? Also it won't cope well with poor & rough roads, steep driveways and such. Plus you will be restricted from using some roads & bridges by your total vehicle mass.

In the US it is 'common' for motor home owners to tow a car behind the motor home using a special 'A' frame device - I don't think it would be legal here - so they can leave the motor home behind & do the shopping or look at the sights.

echnidna
7th October 2009, 07:24 PM
I've done a very similar trip years ago.
I used a landcruiser wagon and a 20 ft van with reinforced chassis.

In many places I dropped the van off and went for a wander through the outback down various tracks with limited accessibility. (I also kept a tent and dried food etc in the toyo)

eg - While staying at Parabadoo I left the van there and cut cross country to Mount Augustus along station tracks. Its not a recommended trip unless you are very bush savvy as people have got bushed and died in that part of the outback. This shortcut saved about 700 or 800 km each way instead of using the road. Its far more versatile to use a 4wd with a van than to lumber around in a truck with beds fitted in it.

munruben
7th October 2009, 07:43 PM
I agree, a motorhome is great if you have another vehicle but if you are only taking one mode of transport then it would be a hassle every time you want to slip down the shop because you have forgotten go get something, you have to take your home with you. Much easier with a caravan and towing vehicle that you can use when not towing the van.

kekemo
9th October 2009, 09:54 PM
Oh... this discussion is such a hoot....
I'm a poptop-caravan chic...!!!

Lefts see... firstly ... ground clearance.... now please tell me if you think I'm stupid.. but as clearance goes... isn't the axel height same....???
I personally could not live in the vehicle that I drive in....
Love to be able to lay down stretch out... sit back relax... my caravan is more like a mini-executive suite... LOVE it to bits... stylish... comfortable.
I'm not going to compare towing costs... as if your traveling for extended time... I believe the comparison would only be truly one or two days difference on road...
I don't have a brand new poptop.... mines now 14 years old... as its not financially viable to up-grade... I'm more than content to stay with 'her'...
I travel heaps... camping about once every four weeks... only close to home... radius of 200 kms... still haven't found all the good spots...
I'm actually sitting at my campfire typing this.... place called Point Herron.... about 25 kms from Mandurah.... its absolutely fantastic...
Best part about being a woodworker... burning left overs on campfire....LOL

My advice to someone wishing to travel....Do yourself a favor ... chose two or three different styles/moods of vehicle... HIRE for one weekend....
then you will work out which you find easier.... I shudder when I see or hear of people buying without trying.....

HIRE .... HIRE HIRE.... better than not being satisfied or disappointed...
cheers...
if your traveling long trip... do yourself another favor get small chainsaw... WOOD isn't as easy as burning off-cuts... getting both scare & also prohibited in many places....

Oh.... get good computer so you can stay on line... while on the road...
like I am right now.....

whitewood
10th October 2009, 07:49 AM
In the past I've always owned caravans. Taking my tooth brush to the shop to buy an extra beer when I run out did not appeal to me. However as I also like to fish not having a decent boat with me is a big disappointment. I know I can fish from the shore or take a roof top tinny with a van but both are not the same. To me all travel is a compromise unless your a multi millionaire and can afford all the toys and some one to have them there when and where you need them.

Grumpy John
10th October 2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far. Everyone seems to echo my feelings in that you have the option of leaving the van behind if you need to do a bit of shopping or visit somewhere that is inaccessible with a van on tow. Perhaps a motor home is a more viable proposition for long term travel, a couple of years travel around this great land of ours.

Jim Carroll
10th October 2009, 09:23 AM
John you could also tow a trailer or small 4 wheel drive of the back of the motor home or bus.

Probably better as you say for those long trips away from home but on the short trips aweek or so the caravan is an easy way to go.

Calm
11th October 2009, 09:05 AM
More thoughts John also after some discussion at 's yesterday ( i dont come up with all this brilliant stuff myself you know)

When you say caravan -do you mean poptop type or full size

I think a full size would be limited to the same type of territory as a motorhome whereas a poptop or camping trailer are much more able to travel into rougher 4wd type situations

Just more options to consider

Cheers

Grumpy John
11th October 2009, 05:39 PM
More thoughts John also after some discussion at 's yesterday ( i dont come up with all this brilliant stuff myself you know)

When you say caravan -do you mean poptop type or full size

I think a full size would be limited to the same type of territory as a motorhome whereas a poptop or camping trailer are much more able to travel into rougher 4wd type situations

Just more options to consider

Cheers

Excerpt from original post "4WD and high ground clearance camper." I agree a traditional caravan would have no better access than a motor home (probably less)

rsser
11th October 2009, 06:15 PM
We're seeing lots of motorhomes towing a small veehickle with an A frame (but IIRC you can't do that with an auto trans). One even with a 2 story trailer with big tinnie on top and small car below.

Towing a van or camper has drawbacks too of course but the big plus is being able to set up camp and tour the surrounds. The packing/unpacking part can be a big overhead though. Ours takes about 90 minutes to set up everything but that can be reduced a lot by not pitching the awning. We go that route when just wanting a quick overnight stop.

Check out the Utimate for a shmick CT.

The best all-in-one unit I've seen is a 4by tray-top pod that can be jacked up and left on site; this one had a complete tent with mattress on the hard floor of the pod.

I think the Leisure show at Sandown has just been and gone; it's a good place to check out the wide variety of options.

A lot of folk put a false floor in their 4by; storage underneath and sleeping on top. A lot also just throw in a tent and the rest of the camping stuff and do the old origami trick at every stop.

But the cost of equipping a proper 4by can be high; the purchase cost is just the start. And running one on tracks can eat up around 18l of fuel per 100k. When juice can hit two bucks a litre that's a big ouch.

The most popular tow vehicle among the 'urban warriors' appears to be the Prado 3l turbo diesel.

I'd second the advice to hire first to find out what trade-offs you can and can't live with.