PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Leslie - 7 y.o. at the lathe

jefferson
4th October 2009, 08:15 PM
I put this post up of my nephew, mostly to surprise him when he googled his name. He's a leftie and will make a fine turner one day - assuming he doesn't get side-tracked with other adventures.

I asked Ethan to observe 4 rules:

- tool and his right hand firmly on the rest before even touching the wood with the chisel
- tool tucked firmly into his hip (or thereabouts)
- take light scooping cuts to rough, outside to in
- and then, put the bevel on top of the wood, bring the chisel back and up to engage the bevel and cut in the direction of the bevel

(Safe rules I hope).

Anyway, Ethan got it all down pat. I was so proud of him.

Here he is:

Calm
4th October 2009, 08:20 PM
So you let him loose on the VL300 did ya:D:D

The photos seem to have a lot of glare in them - might be off the big shiny thing in the middle:D:D:p:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th October 2009, 08:26 PM
That's 'cos his cap is still sitting in my shed where he left it the last time he was here... :U

I ma take it to 's next w/e, [b]if[/i] I remember. And assuming I make it, of course.

timelord
4th October 2009, 10:05 PM
Good onya young Ethan!:2tsup:

jefferson
4th October 2009, 10:23 PM
So you let him loose on the VL300 did ya:D:D

The photos seem to have a lot of glare in them - might be off the big shiny thing in the middle:D:D:p:p

Calm, you must be blind. That sure looks like a little VL100 to me! :D

As for the bald spots...... Skew, make sure you bring that cap down to 's place. :wink:

tea lady
4th October 2009, 10:30 PM
:oo: Will I have to let Small Boy into my shed now? :C Although luckily he doesn't seem interested in all the boring things mummy does in there.:cool: You're making it look to interesting obviously.:rolleyes::D

artme
4th October 2009, 10:33 PM
Nice one for Ethan and for you Jeff.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
5th October 2009, 12:15 PM
So, Ethan must be "Little, Little Grasshopper" now !! :;:D

orraloon
5th October 2009, 05:31 PM
So good to see the good things being handed down.

jefferson
6th October 2009, 07:22 PM
So, Ethan must be "Little, Little Grasshopper" now !! :;:D

Geez, Ed. I cut some wood up for you today and you are into me! :wink:

Little Grasshopper I may be but I am learning. Thanks to all. You know who your are. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
6th October 2009, 08:43 PM
Did you con him into it ... or was he wanting to have a go?

If you conned him into it did he have fun? Even if he wasn't conned did he have fun?

not sure I'd let my 7 yo have a go - my nerves are shot with the 12 yo :oo:

jefferson
6th October 2009, 09:14 PM
Nick,

I didn't con him into it.

He enjoyed watching me turn a box and wanted to have a go..... :D

Then he changed his mind at Step 5, but got back on the horse an hour or so later. He follows instruction well - and definitely has a hand for it.

Short attention span, but that's kids, isn't it?

I'm hoping to teach him some more (when I learn more) when he's 12.

tea lady
6th October 2009, 09:29 PM
Short attention span, but that's kids, isn't it?

:? I'm not sure about that! Mine can really put in the time when it comes to Lego or computer games.:rolleyes:

BobL
6th October 2009, 10:03 PM
Real nice pics, . . . . .

Just one thing, I'd also be wearing suitable PPE when showing someone. It sets a standard that says everyone near a machine should be wearing appropriate PPE.

Ed Reiss
6th October 2009, 10:58 PM
Geez, Ed. I cut some wood up for you today and you are into me! :wink:

Little Grasshopper I may be but I am learning. Thanks to all. You know who your are. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

...just doin' my part to keep you humble, Jeff :;:D:D:D

NeilS
7th October 2009, 02:57 PM
Hmmm.... 1st grandchild turns 3 today.... :think:

Rum Pig
7th October 2009, 03:26 PM
Well done Ethan:2tsup::2tsup:

Good on you Jeff for taking the time to teach a up and coming Grasshopper:2tsup:

I can't wait until my little bloke is old enough to try his hand at turning:rolleyes::D

jefferson
7th October 2009, 08:43 PM
I don't know whether I mentioned it, but I "offered" Ethan some turning lessons from two of the best turners in the world. Truly, two of the best. (I didn't bother to check, but I reckon the pair would say OK, :D). They know who they are..... :wink:

Anyway, after the said "offer", Ethan told me he wanted more lessons from ME.

I was / am pretty chuffed.

The lad has Asberger's, so has a short attention span. But watch this space in 3-4 years. He is a natural.

Sawdust Maker
7th October 2009, 09:43 PM
I don't know whether I mentioned it, but I "offered" Ethan some turning lessons from two of the best turners in the world. Truly, two of the best. (I didn't bother to check, but I reckon the pair would say OK, :D). They know who they are..... :wink:

Anyway, after the said "offer", Ethan told me he wanted more lessons from ME.

I was / am pretty chuffed.

The lad has Asberger's, so has a short attention span. But watch this space in 3-4 years. He is a natural.

I have a 7 yo on the spectrum and I cannot see him holding a chisel as well as Ethan
But he is extremely interested in the goings on in the shed
I'll bring him down next year for lessons :D

jefferson
7th October 2009, 10:05 PM
Nick,

If you want lessons for your 7 year old - and if you will travel to Melbourne - I suggest you go for the best. and WWW.

In my short time with Vic Wood, he's probably a more experienced educator. But he's now retired I believe - more the pity. But he's due for a break.

Just remember, is a "production" turner. Ken W. does it differently - more time on his hands to do the impossible. Different perspectives.... But you should watch with the skew - and the WWW with a 6mm spindle gouge.

I sure love watching both of them turn. (I have no "man-crush" on either, they are just nice blokes).

It saddens me a little that most turners are retired, like me. We need some new Ethans up and out there, teaching the older folk how to turn.

Is turning a dying art? I hope not.

Rum Pig
7th October 2009, 11:52 PM
It saddens me a little that most turners are retired, like me. We need some new Ethans up and out there, teaching the older folk how to turn.

Is turning a dying art? I hope not.
We are lucky to have a man up here by the name of Ian (some of you know him) who freely offers his wisdom and expertise and willing to teach people of all walks of life and age from (I think) 80 to young teens. He is responsible for my education in turning and after the bug had well and truly grabbed me I introduced my Dad to him and now he has the bug (not as bad) and this has brought me and my farther closer together. So yes there are still people out there teaching the old:U and the young and I think this art will never die as long as we have trees to cut down:)
:offtopic::sorry2:

Ethan I can see myself coming down to get lesson off you in a few years especially with the mentors you have around you:2tsup: :2tsup::2tsup: