PDA

View Full Version : stubborn belt pulley

tom41
5th October 2009, 11:31 AM
I have a 103.23070 king-seeley/craftsman wood lathe I just accquired. The lathe is in great shape, tight bearings, no shaft wobble at all. Now my problem..it needs a new belt..looks like same one that came on it! I downloaded a manual for this model which tells how to change belts. I have done like it said except now the shaft only likes about 1 inch being backed out and the belt pulley wont budge any farther. I taken the 2 set screws out and the pulley moved but then just like its froze.I have driven the spindle back with a dowel and wooden mallet but wanted some advise on what to do now. I have put wd40 and now soaking it with penetrating oil. any suggestions on freeing up a stuck belt pulley? thanks for any help
Tom:C

Ed Reiss
5th October 2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Tom...welcome to the forums.

First...no need to remove the pulley, just get a Link Belt.

Second...if you really do want to remove the pulley and put a regular v-belt on, get a gear puller at most any auto supply outlet.

Good luck

fubar
5th October 2009, 02:27 PM
if the pulley wheel is ali you could end up cracking it to pieces using a puller as i found out the hard way
have you checked the shaft sometimes there can be a small burr run some wetndry 800 grit paper over shaft

Calm
5th October 2009, 03:21 PM
I have done like it said except now the shaft only likes about 1 inch being backed out and the belt pulley wont budge any farther. I taken the 2 set screws out and the pulley moved but then just like its froze.I have driven the spindle back with a dowel and wooden mallet but wanted some advise on what to do now. I have put wd40 and now soaking it with penetrating oil. any suggestions on freeing up a stuck belt pulley? thanks for any help
Tom:C

If i understand right the pulley moved then froze -

If it is an aluminum puley on a steel shaft I think it may have had a burr and picked up. If this is the case you can try and move it back and remove the burr but sometimes it is a case of force it off and maybe restore it or replace the pulley.

If the pulley is aluminum then you shouldn't damage the shaft just the pulley.

Sorry but thats the way it is with aluminum pulleys.

Cheers

tom41
5th October 2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks fellows for the quick replies! yes it is an aluminum pulley. Never used a link belt before, but I will check on that. I do believe a gear puller would work, and cause no damage to the shaft. thanks again everyone for your help will let you know how it turns out.
Tom

artme
6th October 2009, 09:02 AM
G'day tom and welcome to the house of help for all manner of things.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

There is a type of link belt made from, I think ,a silicone compound. These belts-link- have some distinct advantages over conventional V belts. They are easier to remove in situations like yours, you can make them to a length to suit your use and they also are supposed to transfer power more effectively.

tom41
6th October 2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks Artme, I did check onto that type of belt. They usually sell for $8.49 per foot. So I may just have to try it for it would be a sight better and less trouble changing belts!
Tom

Broda
6th October 2009, 10:29 PM
I dont think you can use link belts on reeves pullies, so you might want to check that first

joe greiner
7th October 2009, 10:21 PM
Slightly lower cost from Grizzly, but apparently not sold per foot.

Regarding use with Reeves drive, reversible seems to be an issue: Jet 1236 bearings and Power Twist on Reeves - Sawmill Creek (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74952) Google [power-twist belt reeves] for more.

Cheers,
Joe

tom41
31st October 2009, 10:56 AM
Hi ED, well I taken your suggestion and bought a link belt (the green one) Found it at harbor freight and cost including tax $27.30 and I really like it. Its easy to put on, really runs quiet.
thanks to everyones replies and thanks again Ed
Tom

Ed Reiss
31st October 2009, 11:33 AM
Your welcome, Tom...glad it worked out for you.