PDA

View Full Version : Lite????

kekemo
6th October 2009, 05:36 AM
Will.. just started making home brews again... done heaps...I always wait for warmer weather... so nows just right...
BUT... wondering if I add less sugar to the bottle ( make 1 drum/brew 22litres into 66 glass 330mls stubbies)... will adding smaller amount for second ferment make beer a LITE... or less alcohol content...
????

I started making beer mainly for recycling... couldn't stand waste...LOL & yes cheaper alterative to supporting Liquorland....so now just buy more Coles ...
I get to see more of my sons when they raid the beer....
I swap 6pack beer / or two bottles of home made tomato sauce... for 1 bottle of GIN... (brother stills spirits..)...
Total enjoyment of actually making something nice!
(truely...I'm diabetic... so can't drink much... but #### I try!) Reds still my preferred .... so lots of beer getting stock piled now!... ready for summer!

LOL... what a deal!
Only trouble is I'm not an alcoholic YET>>>>>>>
cheers... thanks Kerry

bpj1968
6th October 2009, 08:05 AM
The small amount of suagr added to eth bottles for secondary fermentation is to carbonate the beer (make it gassy). It adds about 0.5% alcohol. All up you use less taht 200 grams at this stage. Using less only makes it less gassy, or flat.

If you want a LITE the reduce the amount of sugars in the primary.

From the CASCADE HOMEBREW SITE (http://www.cascadehomebrew.com.au/brewkits/hintsntips.asp)
Reduced alcohol *: To lower the alcohol content, reduce the amount of sugar added. For example, modify from about 5% to about 4% by adding 500 grams of sugar instead of 1 kg.

Apparaently you still need to add some sugar at the start as the kits generally won;t ferment properly. Also as teh alcohol gets less, you need to replace it with something, eg more hops.

watson
6th October 2009, 08:39 AM
:whs:
There's also a good case for not using sugar in the primary ferment too.......I use dry light malt, and it tastes better/clears better/.....dunno if its better for you.

bpj1968
6th October 2009, 01:09 PM
I used the term sugars, but should have used "fermentables." which is all the various forms.

My preferred is 500g dextrose(brewing sugar) and 500g light malt. As I find all malt leaves it a bit too sweet. I also add 200g cornstarch, doesn't add much alcohol, but gives teh beer more body and makes it feel less watery.

kekemo
9th October 2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys... most appreciated... will try a few of these. I've lots to learn... need to be able to do woodwork all day...& enjoy a good beer later!....LOL
THANKS...
cheers KEKEMO!

ratchet
10th October 2009, 04:18 PM
I use 1 can of coopers and 500gm of light dry malt , and bulk prime with 180gm of dextrose

and this gives a 2.6% finished brew

The dry malt gives the brew more body and a good head

Also try adding extra hops to improve the flavour , say one of the bags you get from the brew shop , about 15gm , which you steep in one cup of boiling water , which is then added before fermentation

you can add dark malt instead of light malt also