PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Aluminum on wood bandsaw?

John H
6th October 2009, 07:34 PM
I have some 21mm Aluminum plate that is too big for my metal bandsaw and I was wondering if I could cut it on my Jet 12" bandsaw.

Normally I don't cut any metal on my wood bandsaw and I seem to recall they run too fast for cutting metal?

Perhaps I need to get a good jigsaw for the job?

BobL
6th October 2009, 09:35 PM
I have some 21mm Aluminum plate that is too big for my metal bandsaw and I was wondering if I could cut it on my Jet 12" bandsaw.

Normally I don't cut any metal on my wood bandsaw and I seem to recall they run too fast for cutting metal?

Perhaps I need to get a good jigsaw for the job?

Yes you can - how long is the cut? You can use metho as a lube - I have some in a pump pack and continually spray the kerf with it.

If it were me I would cut it with a WW table saw but at 21 mm I DEFINITELY do not recommend using a ww blade. This is the sort of thing that can happen with a ww blade.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/62749d1197978048-when-ally-aint-ally-sawblade.jpg
Full thread here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/when-ally-aint-ally-62994/).

To cut 21 mm plate I would recommend a negative raked composite circular saw blade. These are really fantastic and fast and you can use it for a lot of other stuff

Liberally rub or dribble hot wax along the line of the cut
Take it slowly.
Full face shield and long sleeved shirt - those ally shards are vicious!

John H
6th October 2009, 09:57 PM
I have 6 cuts around 400mm long to do.

TS is out of the question. I only have the small Triton Powersaw table (not the 2000) and it is just too scary for my likes.

So I should get a bi-metal blade like on my metal bandsaw for the wood bandsaw?

Kody
6th October 2009, 11:32 PM
I have a standard vertical wood bandsaw that I use to cut aluminium. I use the same cheap blade that the saw came with. I cut 20mm aluminium with no problems. My saw has 4 speeds and I use the slowest one. I have also used the highest speed but the ally gets a bit hot. The slowest speed is still far too fast for steel but perfect for ally. I use a candle as a lube and it works fine. The blade I use has 8tpi but a bi-metal blade would be fabulous to use. Go for it.

Kody

Mike Wingate
7th October 2009, 03:39 AM
I cut 25mm dia and anything up to 12mm plate on mine with the standard 3/4" 6tpi wood blade, no coolant used.

John H
7th October 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. I fitted a 8 TPI standard blade and went for it and it cut really easy. I didn't bother with any coolant or lube and the blade was only slightly warm.

Mike Wingate
8th October 2009, 04:11 AM
Well done, If you don't try or ask, life can be more difficult.

steran50
9th October 2009, 08:00 PM
HI,
At Work we have a Vertical Bandsaw which is badged 'Metal Cutting' on one side edge of its Work Table. It is so much like Hare and Forbes BP-14A Vertical Bandsaw its not funny. The Machine would be about 25 Years old. We use a 10 TPI Blade 1/2" Wide on it for Aluminium, Timber and Plastic. It cuts well with that Blade, we have only ever used '10 TPI' Blades on it. We generally don't use any Coolant except when cutting Aluminium from about 10mm and thicker. The Coolant then is usually just Inox or Lanox. I don't know what the Blade Speed is on it. To Me a '6 TPI' on Alumium is SCARY,but I guess at the right Blade Speed it would probably be okay.
All The Best:) Steran50 Stewart