PDA

View Full Version : Another Question from the village pest

artme
8th October 2009, 10:40 PM
Been doing a fair bit reading here and looking up info on various machines.

What are people's thoughts on smaller lathe/drill/mill machines?

I only wish to do small stuff but want accuracy. This all depends on SWMBO and the bank balane. Naturally:rolleyes::rolleyes:

artme
9th October 2009, 11:14 PM
C'mon fellas, The deafening silence is getting to me!!!

12teethperinch
10th October 2009, 02:15 AM
I think although meant to refer to people not machines the phrase jack of all trades master of none applies fairly well here. These machines are a compromise and although they will do both functions they do neither one very well. The mill is awkward to use with very limited slide travel, the lathe part isn’t as bad and will give you a lot of swing but if you are only doing small parts that’s of little benefit to you. The other downside is you have to do a fair bit of setup to change from one operation to the other. If you are only doing small stuff and don’t need too much milling, a lathe with a milling attachment might be a better investment.
Darrell

AUSSIE
10th October 2009, 02:43 AM
Art-I just got a SIEG mini lathe a week ago.A 7 x 14.So far all I have done is design and get made an adapter to fit a wood chuck to it.This way I can do wood turning (small) and metal turning.I am in the throughs of designing tool rest and a tool holder to enable larger dia wood turning.

artme
10th October 2009, 07:06 AM
Thanks fellas. You have answered well. I had thought along much the same lines you both have, But needed to check out things with thoe who are experienced.
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: